RW Brandon Kozun (2009, 179th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
How so? Hes got more points by a fair margin than anyone on the US prelim roster. Any additional offense isnt a bad thing.

It's the principle of the matter. You can't pretend to be one of the world's pre-eminent hockey powers and then hand out free passes to dual citizens to try and sway them to your side. Kozun's a fine player but he's also two years removed from his draft year so he'd better be putting up those kinds of numbers. Kozun is just as much American as he is Canadian so I have no problem whatsoever with Team USA extending an offer to him. I have a big problem with them guaranteeing him a spot, though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The thread title is not going to help regarding a topic like this, IMO.

FWIW, it's a personal decision in each case, so I don't usually enter the back and forth on these threads, but a question out of simple curiosity:

Are one or both of Kozun's parents Canadian?

I know I have read in the past that he was born and raised in California until his family moved to Calgary. I always assumed that one or both of his parents were originally from Canada, but that was only an assumption. I was under the impression in Myers' case that his parents were American although that might have just been an assumption on my part.

Not sure about Kozun, but Myers' parents are American. I believe his father moved the family to Alberta due to being in the oil business.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It's the principle of the matter. You can't pretend to be one of the world's pre-eminent hockey powers and then hand out free passes to dual citizens to try and sway them to your side. Kozun's a fine player but he's also two years removed from his draft year so he'd better be putting up those kinds of numbers. Kozun is just as much American as he is Canadian so I have no problem whatsoever with Team USA extending an offer to him. I have a big problem with them guaranteeing him a spot, though.

Yeah, I have to agree. I thought USA Hockey was beyond these types of shenanigans.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Not sure about Kozun, but Myers' parents are American. I believe his father moved the family to Alberta due to being in the Oil business.

Yes, that was my understanding regarding Myers. Curious about Kozun, for some reason when I read some about this during the summer I assumed one of his parents was originally from Canada, but I didn't see any info. either way when I did a quick search this afternoon.

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005
So I'm supposed to pull for him because his family moved here when he was young and he now considers himself a Canadian? I don't see why he should be praised simply because he had a choice and decided to go with the country he has lived in for the last 10 years or so.

Bob1960

Oct 21, 2009
So I'm supposed to pull for him because his family moved here when he was young and he now considers himself a Canadian? I don't see why he should be praised simply because he had a choice and decided to go with the country he has lived in for the last 10 years or so.

I think your missing the point. Its not about him choosing to play for Canada, its about him turning down a guaranteed spot in order to earn his way, I think thats what the article was articulating.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Kozun decided he'd rather win gold with Canada (for the 6th time and in Canada) instead of losing in a bronze medal game with the Americans :sarcasm:

Ragnar

Apr 14, 2009
I think anybody who makes it an issue of patriotism is missing the point. The commendable thing is that he'd rather take the risk and try to earn his way onto the national team he'd rather play for than be given a free spot by another one. Which countries we're talking about isn't really important.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
You think hes the only one who was guaranteed a spot?

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009

Kozun's not two years removed from his draft year; in 2007-08, he put up modest points (4th in team scoring - 53 pts in 69 games, 19 points in 16 playoff games) and went undrafted.

It's been that way for Kozun though - he wasn't drafted in the WHL Bantam Draft and just went out and worked harder so that the Calgary Hitmen listed him. He wasn't picked in the NHL draft, so he went out and racked up a 108 pt season and made people notice him. You challenge the guy and he rises to the challenge, just like a lot of people aren't giving him a shot of making Team Canada, eh?

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
imo it shows a lot of maturity on kozuns part. it has nothing to do with repping canada, we forget these kids are only 18...great on him i have really been impressed with not only his skill but his leadership and heart. this type of attitude goes a long way with staff and certainly deserves a longgggggggg look in camp

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
He was pretty good at the kings prospect camp and scored a couple of highlight reel goals. He is small and thin but I'm pulling for him. Hope he makes the team and gains some WJC experience to help him grow even further as a player. Another great pick up in the late rounds by Kings scouts.

Last edited:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
all politics aside this guy could be a great playmaker for some of canadas big guns such as hall,schenn,eberle etc. the guys got 42 assists in 32 games.. pretty ridiculous if u ask me

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Honestly good riddance, if this was 5 years earlier we would take him out back and hang him for treason, what a slap in the face to the country that will offer you your livliehood and chance to prosper

if it wasnt for the UJS canada would be a worthless glacial ice village infested with Eskimos and Norsemen.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
all politics aside this guy could be a great playmaker for some of canadas big guns such as hall,schenn,eberle etc. the guys got 42 assists in 32 games.. pretty ridiculous if u ask me

He has 42 assists, but he also leads his team with 18 goals (8 of which are game winners - leads the CHL). The next 3 highest goal scorers on the team have 43 combined goals (17, 13, 13) so basically Kozun sets up everybody.

I would love to see how many times Kozun could set up Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle, one of them could end up with 10 goals in the WJC easily!

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
From the Vancouver Province today:

"I am a proud U.S citizen and a proud Canadian citizen but I've been playing Canadian hockey," said Kozun, 19, who moved to Calgary from his native Los Angeles with his family when he was 10. "I feel like Canada is where I should play."

"I have to play my game," said Kozun when asked about going from the 36-man tryout camp to the 22-man final roster. "They know what I bring to the table.

"If I make it, that's great. If I don't, I'll have to move on."

And he insists that if he has to move on, he wouldn't spend any time thinking about what might have been with the Americans.

"I think you're going to be upset that you didn't make the team, but, obviously I've made a decision and I'm going to live with the decision," said Kozun.

"It's not really about making one team or making the other."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Dual+citizen+Kozun+going+Canada/2309393/story.html

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Going off the definition of an "7F":

7 - Second line forward / No. 3-4 defenseman / journeyman No. 1 goaltender -- players not quite good enough to play on the top line or pairing on a regular basis, but still possessing enough talent to contribute offensively, defend with some authority, or competently play the goaltender's position for long stretches. Think Andrew Cassels, Jason Arnott, Darryl Sydor, Keith Carney, Dwayne Roloson, Jeff Hackett.

F - A player possessing little potential who has a mountain to climb just to reach the outermost boundary of that potential

The writer is probably envisioning Kozun with having an upside of Steve Sullivan, Brian Gionta. But also keeping in mind that it's a tough road for players that size. For every Gionta, there's seemingly a dozen Corey Lockes.

By HF definition, Kozun's not an A (lock) or B (probable). At best he's a C (maybe) or D (unlikely) rather than F (highly unlikely). Also keep in mind that the article was last updated in September, so Kozun will likely be given a boost when they update his profile.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Looks like Mason Raymond before he broke out this year. Skates fast, doesn't use teammates well.

hockeyguy18*

This kid is too wimpy to play in the NHL. Seemed like every time someone hit him during the WJC he was limping to the bench and hurt. But hey, that's just me.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
This kid is too wimpy to play in the NHL. Seemed like every time someone hit him during the WJC he was limping to the bench and hurt. But hey, that's just me.

He obviously isn't a physical specimen, yet he still goes into all the dirty areas and I think that's why he puts up those numbers he does. That said, he also takes a lot of big hits while always trying to make the play. God bless him, he always seems to get back up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad