RW Brandon Kozun (2009, 179th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Its not cause they produce solid prospects over the last 5-8 years?

Ryan Getzlaf
Brad Stuart
Andrew Ladd
Karl Alzner
T.J. Galiardi
Jeff Schultz
Matt Pettinger
Brett Sonne
Paul Postma
Michael Stone
Joel Broda
Justin Pogge
Fredrik Sjostrom
Jerred Smithson
Ryan White
Konstantin Pushkarev
Robin Figren
They didn't "produce" Joel Broda. They acquired him for their Memorial Cup run late this season.

Canuck71*

Sounds like Azevedo-West.

It's a good comparison but I still definitely would take Azevedo over Kozun. Azevedo was 5'8" but he was pretty built and hard to knock off the puck because of his lower centre of gravity, Kozun is 5'8", scrawny and no where near big/strong enough to play in the NHL at the moment. Things could change but I just don't see him being anything more than a mediocre AHLer, if that.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
They didn't "produce" Joel Broda. They acquired him for their Memorial Cup run late this season.

Thanks for pointing that out but missing that Brad Stuart was basically the exact same situation. I made a list of players who have come through the Hitmen and this is it. Dont be a scrooge.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
Its not cause they produce solid prospects over the last 5-8 years?

Ryan Getzlaf
Brad Stuart
Andrew Ladd
Karl Alzner
T.J. Galiardi
Jeff Schultz
Matt Pettinger
Brett Sonne
Paul Postma
Michael Stone
Joel Broda
Justin Pogge
Fredrik Sjostrom
Jerred Smithson
Ryan White
Konstantin Pushkarev
Robin Figren

Puskarev was drafted out of Russia...And for the purpose of your argument, I would leave him off that list.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
If you ever needed a reason to pull for Kozun on Team Canada

He could've played for the USA, given a guaranteed roster spot. He'd rather earn a spot to play for Team Canada.

“(Kozun) had an opportunity because he’s a dual citizen to go play for the US and has been offered a spot with the US team but chose to come in and compete for a spot with us with no guarantees at all,†Hockey Canada head scout Al Murray explained.

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2009/12/02/wjc-kozun-picks-canada-over-usa/

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A calculated risk, but I don't blame him, espcially if he has more of an affinity for his Canadian heritage. It doesn't hurt that Canada is the team to beat in these types of tournaments.

Arcane

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure the prospects of a gold medal don't hurt...good on the kid for sure though

Bob1960

Oct 21, 2009
Hopefully this thread does not turn into a patriot vs patriot type thing. Good on Kozun, turning down a guaranteed spot for the chance to compete and earn one is a strong character quality in my books. I personally see him making this squad anyway, he is one of the best junior players in canada.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Hopefully this thread does not turn into a patriot vs patriot type thing. Good on Kozun, turning down a guaranteed spot for the chance to compete and earn one is a strong character quality in my books. I personally see him making this squad anyway, he is one of the best junior players in canada.
It seems as if it were started with those intentions, so too late for that.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It seems as if it were started with those intentions, so too late for that.

How so? It's about a kid being offered a guaranteed spot, and instead choosing to go the path that would require earning his way into the tournament. That's commendable.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How so? It's about a kid being offered a guaranteed spot, and instead choosing to go the path that would require earning his way into the tournament. That's commendable.

Some bozo always has to throw names out like Parise, Stastny, etc. I'm surprised Hull or Deadmarsh haven't been mentioned already. Get over it folks!

Bob1960

Oct 21, 2009
His stance has been consistent, fair enough. All things being equal, do Americans really want a player like that on the U.S. team? I don't.

Im not quite sure what this stance has to do with the original purpose of the thread, but fair enough. Im sure Kozun feels pride for his roots both in the US or in Canada, to judge how loyal he is to a country based on a decision to play in an Ice Hockey tournament is rather ridiculous.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Im not quite sure what this stance has to do with the original purpose of the thread, but fair enough. Im sure Kozun feels pride for his roots both in the US or in Canada, to judge how loyal he is to a country based on a decision to play in an Ice Hockey tournament is rather ridiculous.

I don't believe that's what Konk meant, but the point remains someone ALWAYS has to bring up nationality issues in thread like this. Anyway, I think it's pretty clear Kozun has more of an affinity for being Canadian than American, and that's fine. I know USA Hockey is trying to put the best team on the ice possible, but there are other options.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
The thread title is not going to help regarding a topic like this, IMO.

FWIW, it's a personal decision in each case, so I don't usually enter the back and forth on these threads, but a question out of simple curiosity:

Are one or both of Kozun's parents Canadian?

I know I have read in the past that he was born and raised in California until his family moved to Calgary. I always assumed that one or both of his parents were originally from Canada, but that was only an assumption. I was under the impression in Myers' case that his parents were American although that might have just been an assumption on my part.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I think it's sad that Team USA is desperate enough to offer Brandon Kozun a guaranteed spot.
How so? Hes got more points by a fair margin than anyone on the US prelim roster. Any additional offense isnt a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad