RW Brandon Kozun (2009, 179th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Living in Calgary I got out to a few Hitmen games...

Kozun is fast, and reasonably gifted. He's agile and quick enough to dart around, make smart plays and generate offense at the Junior Level.

He is not afraid of the physical side of the game...

He had some really gaudy regular season numbers 72 40 68 108

I went to one playoff game, so not a huge sample size and he seemed a little more timid, still his playoff numbers were respectable 18 7 12 19

Kozun was first in Hitmen regular season points, and 3rd in Playoff points....

It is my opinion, and I hate to say it, that Kozun won't be able to translate his game to the pro level. I'll be interested to see, if in a year or two he can start to make some inroads at the AHL level.

His upside is of a Corey Locke, Justin Azevedo type of game. I actually think that both Locke and Azevedo have a higher NHL upside, although none of these fowards have a great shot at making a dent at a Top 6 NHL role.

On a positive note, Kozun is going to the WJC Camp, and has a shot at making that team. Success at that team, and in the WHL next year could raise his stock...

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm calling it, the next Marty St.Louis. People critisize him for being too small which is why everyone passed up on him, but he could have been a top 10 pick if he had 3 more inches on him.

He's Jordan Schroeder size just a bit lower in weight but I really think he will turn out to be something special.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Although, likely a longshot, Kozun more than worth a 6th rnd flier!

He's a small guy, but I liken him to a "Mighty Mouse" on the ice. Seriously, he seemingly comes out of nowhere to suffenly be in the middle of the play. He has top notch puck skills and disguises what he's going to do quite cleverly.

I think the Kings got themselves a player. He's one of those guy I think will just beat the odds!

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Yah but we pull out the whole "Beat the Odds" thing, and will be the next Marty St.Louis idea with every small young guy...

I hope he makes it, but I seriously doubt it...

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Although, likely a longshot, Kozun more than worth a 6th rnd flier!

He's a small guy, but I liken him to a "Mighty Mouse" on the ice. Seriously, he seemingly comes out of nowhere to suffenly be in the middle of the play. He has top notch puck skills and disguises what he's going to do quite cleverly.

I think the Kings got themselves a player. He's one of those guy I think will just beat the odds!

Ill agree with this, he has as much upside as anyone else drafted in the 6th-7th round. If he doesnt pan out, hey, it was a 6th round pick. A solid low risk-medium reward pick.

vindogla

Jul 3, 2008
Interesting. Would it be fair then to say he was the BPA even in the the 6th round?

RCGP

Go Panthers
Jul 3, 2002
Calgary Alberta
Visit site
He's small and poor skater (he falls over constantly, poor balance). He is quick though, had a great regular season but faded in the playoffs, espcially the later rounds.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
I dont know if there was a player in the 6th round where if everything fell into place perfectly, could blossom as much as he can....

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
Brandon Kozun!

LA kings get a steal in the 6th round when the drafted this kid. 108 pts in 66 games in the whl and not to mention 19 pts in 15 playoff games..kid can score but at only 5'8 hell have trouble. What do you think? i think hes a lock for the world junoirs but until then ive never even heard of the kid

Canuck71*

He's definitely not a lock for the World Juniors and I don't see his game translating to the NHL level. He's too small and isn't a good enough skater for a player his size.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
hes on a rediculous line right now and tore up the camp..i think hes a lock..maybe a bit of a late bloomer but man he can flat out score..hes the highest scoring person that has been invited to the camp including playoffs that is

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
not that im trying to downplay his talent, but everyone on that hitmen team had insane stats. but he is good, just his size is what will probably make it tough for him to make it, WJCs? i think he could make it

LAX attack*

If he becomes as good as Azevedo, than I will be happy with his pick.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I watch the Hitmen tons and I highly doubt he ever makes the NHL but Im cheering for him. Good attitude and solid skills off the rush but still sooooo small.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I see Corey Locke v2.0 here.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I only saw the Hitmen twice last year. But Kozun failed to impress both times. Still, I will take a Locke or Kozun every time if I can with my 6th round picks. You can't really lose. You usually at least get a productive minor pro. Sometimes you get a Kyle Wellwood, which is a fine return for a mid-late pick.

miltty

Feb 7, 2007
Overrated- if he played for any other team other than the stacked Hitties he wouldn't of even been drafted. The Hitties get more guys drafted simply because so many scouts live in Alberta and see these guys play 10x more than players in other divisions.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I love how the Hitmen team was "stacked" this season when they went into the season with the mentality that it was a rebuilding season...

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Overrated- if he played for any other team other than the stacked Hitties he wouldn't of even been drafted. The Hitties get more guys drafted simply because so many scouts live in Alberta and see these guys play 10x more than players in other divisions.

Its not cause they produce solid prospects over the last 5-8 years?

Ryan Getzlaf
Brad Stuart
Andrew Ladd
Karl Alzner
T.J. Galiardi
Jeff Schultz
Matt Pettinger
Brett Sonne
Paul Postma
Michael Stone
Joel Broda
Justin Pogge
Fredrik Sjostrom
Jerred Smithson
Ryan White
Konstantin Pushkarev
Robin Figren

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
LA kings get a steal in the 6th round when the drafted this kid. 108 pts in 66 games in the whl and not to mention 19 pts in 15 playoff games..kid can score but at only 5'8 hell have trouble. What do you think? i think hes a lock for the world junoirs but until then ive never even heard of the kid
You had never heard of the guy until now but he's both a steal and a lock for the WC ? :o

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad