Rumor: Rutherford lays out the blueprint of what the Canucks are looking for via Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Rutherford just did a 30 minute interview on Sportsnet 650 Vancouver.

Firstly, he made it abundantly clear... The Canucks will not be trading any major pieces ala Miller/Boeser as long as the Canucks are in the mix for the playoffs.

It really sounds like the Canucks are leaning towards not doing their major roster surgery until the offseason. This is a smart move to me as I believe if they wait until summer, the auction for Miller would grow 2/3x more with interested teams. Canucks can also allow a potentail trading team to negotiate a new contract with Miller which will boost his value even more.

Of course all this can change if and once:

1. The Canucks fall out of the race, if they havent yet already
2. They get an offer they cant refuse

As for what the Canucks are looking for at the trade deadline or in the off-season

Rutherford was very clear on what he wants the identity of the Canucks to be. Speed and Skill. He was asked why he prefers that over Size and Brute, he mentioned in a perfect world he would have it all but he believes that the game has trended towards speed and skill. He also mentioned he doesnt just want speed skaters on the team that cant actually think and play hockey which is why the skill part is important with the speed.

Rutherford also mentioned something interesting:

- He believes the forward group is an "Average Skating" group and relies on a couple of players to create offence. He mentioned this is not what he wants. He wants to get faster and more skilled and have a more balanced attack and use that speed t create puck pressure.It really sounds like he is going to shake the forward group up.

- More surprisingly, he mentioned that he believes the D-core he has is something " he can work with" He mentioned building around Hughes and OEL.

- It sounded like Rutherford believes the Canucks arent competing until 2024 and he will be making trades now that reflects that time frame.

To Summarize

- Miller/Boeser any big fish not getting moved until Canucks are out of playoff race
-Rutherford does not like the skating abilities with the Canucks forward Group (uh oh Boeser)
- In a trade Canucks want young players with Speed and Skill and or draft picks
- In a big trade, Canucks might be prioritizing a young speed/skill Forward as the main return as Rutherford really sounded dejected by the Forward group where at least he said the Dcore is something he can work with

Kinda funny when blatantly asked what Rutherford thought of the team after 2 months into the job. He mentioned something along of the lines of :

" We are not good but our Franchise Goalie hides alot of our shortcomings"

Trader Jim about to cut loose!

Last edited:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
So Jesper Boqvist (speed and skill, 7 points in his last 10 or 11 games) and Pavel Zacha (as reported, the Canucks have been interested in him) for Boeser.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So Jesper Boqvist (speed and skill, 7 points in his last 10 or 11 games) and Pavel Zacha (as reported, the Canucks have been interested in him) for Boeser.

One thing in any potential Canucks/Devils trade,

Michael Mcleod is not someone the Canucks would be targeting.

Canucks just hired former Devlis analytic staffer Rachel Doerrie.

In her podcast a few months ago ( before getting hired by the Canucks) she was discussing always drafting skill over someone that just can skate fast.

She was then quoted saying " you know what happens when you draft a speedskater that cant think and cant process the game, you get Michael Mcleod"

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
- In a big trade, Canucks might be prioritizing a young speed/skill Forward as the main return as Rutherford really sounded dejected by the Forward group where at least he said the Dcore is something he can work with

This has Kasperi Kapanen written all over it IMO. We already know Rutherford likes him.

Last edited:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
This has Kasperi Kapenen written all over it IMO. We already know Rutherford likes him.

Possibly. I can also see Boeser being really good with Pens and being that 40 goal scorer we know he can be.

What can the Pens possibly offer though as they are pretty bare in the prospect pool

Kapanen ++

for

Boeser

I'd actually really like Kapanen on the Canucks for the right price of course.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
It’s nice to hear a GM be candid like this. I do think that they should look to deal Miller at this deadline however. Miller with 50% retained could bring back a haul if Canucks don’t plan on competing these next two seasons

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It’s nice to hear a GM be candid like this. I do think that they should look to deal Miller at this deadline however. Miller with 50% retained could bring back a haul if Canucks don’t plan on competing these next two seasons

Would be so nice to have a GM who prioritizes speed and skill

If you look around the league:

Colorado
Tampa
Minnesota
Florida

All play fast and skilled hockey. GMs who don't want to go this route should be out of a job

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Possibly. I can also see Boeser being really good with Pens and being that 40 goal scorer we know he can be.

What can the Pens possibly offer though as they are pretty bare in the prospect pool

Kapanen ++

for

Boeser

If Kap is the main return I would rather just try and re-sign Boeser.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I believe they have already retained on three salaries therefore they cannot retain on anyone else.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Devils are rumored to be interested in Boeser and Vancouver is rumored to be interested in Zacha. Trade obviously wouldn’t be 1 for 1 but it seems like there’s smoke between the two teams.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Rutherford just did a 30 minute interview on Sportsnet 650 Vancouver.

Firstly, he made it abundantly clear... The Canucks will not be trading any major pieces ala Miller/Boeser as long as the Canucks are in the mix for the playoffs.

It really sounds like the Canucks are leaning towards not doing their major roster surgery until the offseason. This is a smart move to me as I believe if they wait until summer, the auction for Miller would grow 2/3x more with interested teams. Canucks can also allow a potentail trading team to negotiate a new contract with Miller which will boost his value even more.

Of course all this can change if and once:

1. The Canucks fall out of the race, if they havent yet already
2. They get an offer they cant refuse

As for what the Canucks are looking for at the trade deadline or in the off-season

Rutherford was very clear on what he wants the identity of the Canucks to be. Speed and Skill. He was asked why he prefers that over Size and Brute, he mentioned in a perfect world he would have it all but he believes that the game has trended towards speed and skill. He also mentioned he doesnt just want speed skaters on the team that cant actually think and play hockey which is why the skill part is important with the speed.

Rutherford also mentioned something interesting:

- He believes the forward group is an "Average Skating" group and relies on a couple of players to create offence. He mentioned this is not what he wants. He wants to get faster and more skilled and have a more balanced attack and use that speed t create puck pressure.It really sounds like he is going to shake the forward group up.

- More surprisingly, he mentioned that he believes the D-core he has is something " he can work with" He mentioned building around Hughes and OEL.

- It sounded like Rutherford believes the Canucks arent competing until 2024 and he will be making trades now that reflects that time frame.

To Summarize

- Miller/Boeser any big fish not getting moved until Canucks are out of playoff race
-Rutherford does not like the skating abilities with the Canucks forward Group (uh oh Boeser)

Kinda funny when blatantly asked what Rutherford thought of the team after 2 months into the job. He mentioned something along of the lines of :

" We are not good but our Franchise Goalie hides alot of our shortcomings"

Trader Jim about to cut loose!

That would be completely wrong. Right now a Miller trade means 2 playoff runs for a contender. In the summer its only 1 playoff run.

You'd basically be getting rental prices for Miller in the Summer. Right now with 2 chances at a cup with him he is easily worth more. Big mistake by Vancouver to wait to trade him. Unless they are hopeful of re-signing him instead in which case just dont move him at all.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

Kapanen ++

for

Boeser

I don't see the Pens going after a big fish like Boeser to be honest. They might even trade Kapanen for a mid round draft pick and decent prospect; as you noted, they have little to offer from their own farm system at this point.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Here's the counter to waiting until off-season

1. 50% retained could be done in the off-season as well
2. Waiting till off-season can create a bigger auction pool. Right now only playoff contenders are intersted. If Canucks wait until off-season then they can have probably half the league interested. Teams that feel like they are done their rebuild. Maybe teams like LA, Anaheim, Detroit, Ottawa get involved.
3. If the Canucks wait until off-season , they can allow potential trading teams to negotiate a long term extension with Miller before the trade is approved. This will boost the return even more. Canucks or any potential trading team CANT negotiate/sign an extension now otherwise.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It’s nice until you realize Rutherford loves to blab and contradicts himself, his moves and is in general just flying by the seat of his pants.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Is Kapanen any better than Zacha? Kapanen has more speed, but Zacha is more versatile and shoots better.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Rutherford and Allvin are interested in Kapanen.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
That would be completely wrong. Right now a Miller trade means 2 playoff runs for a contender. In the summer its only 1 playoff run.

You'd basically be getting rental prices for Miller in the Summer. Right now with 2 chances at a cup with him he is easily worth more. Big mistake by Vancouver to wait to trade him. Unless they are hopeful of re-signing him instead in which case just dont move him at all.

disagree.

The sole fact that there would be a bigger market and more interested teams wanting Miller in the - offseason compared to now would off-set any boost in value of a team getting 2 playoff runs with him.

and like I mentioned, in the offseason, The Canucks can allow potential trading partners to negotiate an extension with him before the trade is finalized which again would boost his value. Something a trading team cant do now ( sign extension)

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sounds like Rutherford playing hardball with the Rangers for Miller and wants more than just Schnieder, 2023 1st, Chytil and 2022 2nd. Lets getter done Trader Jim!

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Is Kapanen any better than Zacha? Kapanen has more speed, but Zacha is more versatile and shoots better.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Rutherford and Allvin are interested in Kapanen.

Both would bring welcomed skills to the Canucks.

IF were comparing Zacha vs Kapanen for Boeser, to me the deciding factor would be what the ++ is attached to each player. Devils of course have a better stable of prospects compared to Pens who have been going all in a number of times and bleeding assets and prospects of the last few years.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don't see the Pens going after a big fish like Boeser to be honest. They might even trade Kapanen for a mid round draft pick and decent prospect; as you noted, they have little to offer from their own farm system at this point.

Pens might not want a big fish rental, but why wouldnt they want a 24 yr old sniper like Boeser for the next 6 years? He is RFA controlled and can negotiate a long term contract asap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad