Friedman: Rutherford/Allvin done assessing Canucks - Everyone available except Pettersson, Hughes, Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Vancouver needs to shed salary from their defense, adding Burns doesn't help.

I agree they do but what you're realistically talking about is getting out from under OEL and Myers. Myers could be a player that would be returned in a Burns deal and it would be a better use of cap.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I agree they do but what you're realistically talking about is getting out from under OEL and Myers. Myers could be a player that would be returned in a Burns deal and it would be a better use of cap.

Depends on what the addition to Myers is really. Burns' deal is also a year longer and takes him right until he's 40.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Depends on what the addition to Myers is really. Burns' deal is also a year longer and takes him right until he's 40.

True but if I'm the Sharks I'm willing to retain and take cap dumps on top of Myers for assets. What that would be depends on who Vancouver is looking to ship out.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think it definitely speaks volumes of how much the new management group liked the team the previous brain trust built. But I don't think this is any different than any new management group looking at all options since they don't have any personal connection to the players they inherited.

I'm more surprised really young players like podkozin and highlander are available.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
True but if I'm the Sharks I'm willing to retain and take cap dumps on top of Myers for assets. What that would be depends on who Vancouver is looking to ship out.

I don't think Vancouver has those types of assets they can realistically afford to move. Best case scenario, they find someone who is willing to take on Myers' final 2 years of his contract with minimal retention/salary dump coming back. I wouldn't be interested in the type of trade you're suggesting. That's something Jim Benning would be all over.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Garland is ridiculously underrated. I don't see him going anywhere if these are the types of offers.
I was considering offering the lower of CBJ/CHI 1st plus Emil Bemstrom for Garland, but kind of undercut myself by putting that as my "joke" proposal for Horvat in the very first reply to this thread. :D

so I posted it on capfriendly armchair GM instead

Feb 19, 2018
I can see a deal around Newhook and Horvat. Colorado needs to go for it this year and Horvat is a proven playoff warrior. Basically just accelerating the development time of Newhook. I’d say the cup goes to Colorado this year if it happens.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I was considering offering the lower of CBJ/CHI 1st plus Emil Bemstrom for Garland, but kind of undercut myself by putting that as my "joke" proposal for Horvat in the very first reply to this thread. :D

I don't think that's anywhere near enough for Garland. We traded a lot for him and he has been our 2nd best even strength producer. Only reason his overall stats aren't that good is because he doesn't get much pp time. He may be a midget but he is a gritty annoying little f***er and plays with heart.

If CBJ is interested in Boeser, his price would be lower than Garland's.

Reactions: Phrasing

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

I don't hate the proposal. The 1st should be a lottery pick regardless as it seems both teams will miss the playoffs this year. I'm not a huge Bemstrom fan, so I would try for a different young player, but the offer is pretty close.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't think that's anywhere near enough for Garland. We traded a lot for him and he has been our 2nd best even strength producer. Only reason his overall stats aren't that good is because he doesn't get much pp time. He may be a midget but he is a gritty annoying little f***er and plays with heart.

If CBJ is interested in Boeser, his price would be lower than Garland's.
Boeser's contract situation renders him uninteresting to us; we're already going to be putting in work keeping Laine. Garland's obvious quality is the reason why he'd be the target; otherwise, it doesn't make sense for us to go after a winger as we're kind of overstocked already.

Reactions: dman34

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I can see a deal around Newhook and Horvat. Colorado needs to go for it this year and Horvat is a proven playoff warrior. Basically just accelerating the development time of Newhook. I’d say the cup goes to Colorado this year if it happens.

If it was last year or year before, I can see Colorado doing it. especially with more term on horvat's contract. But newhook is already proven to be a good NHL player now and not years away from reaching horvat's current production.

Reactions: kanucks25

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think Vancouver has those types of assets they can realistically afford to move. Best case scenario, they find someone who is willing to take on Myers' final 2 years of his contract with minimal retention/salary dump coming back. I wouldn't be interested in the type of trade you're suggesting. That's something Jim Benning would be all over.

Rutherford isn't above these sorts of deals either. Not that it's his m.o. or anything but he's done similar deals previously. Depending on his goals, he's shown a willingness to make any sort of deal.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Boeser's contract situation renders him uninteresting to us; we're already going to be putting in work keeping Laine. Garland's obvious quality is the reason why he'd be the target; otherwise, it doesn't make sense for us to go after a winger as we're kind of overstocked already.
I could see Boeser signing long term for 6-6.5 for the security. Canucks allowing the other team to talk to Boeser about an extension prior to the trade is actually fairly realistic.

CBJ could also include one or some of their wingers in the trade.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If it was last year or year before, I can see Colorado doing it. especially with more term on horvat's contract. But newhook is already proven to be a good NHL player now and not years away from reaching horvat's current production.
Agreed - Newhook isn't going anywhere, and so he shouldn't. I think we have seen the same transition for Schneider in NY as well. These players are showing they are contributing in the NHL so the "risk factor" in acquiring these prospects is not there. I suggested Schneider early in the year, but since he has emerged as a legit NHLer with an elite growth potential it has become increasingly obvious he isn't available. I came to that conclusion with Newhook after his 2019/20 college season.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad