Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Pens likely to miss playoffs again. Gotta think they’ll likely lose Crosby this year to FA so he can chase another cup wherever that may be.

It’ll be years of that team rebuilding before anything happens. Our boy Rutger will be on a team in a big rut trying to rebuild.
I’ve got no inside info, but I’d be legitimately shocked if Crosby ever wears another NHL uniform.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
2 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter (HDB) is not the same size. 1 inch and 25 lbs (EP) isn't either. Where does quicker come from?

McGro plays a power game. He may or may not be able to transition that to the NHL. He may become a Brock Boeser type or a Messier light.
And this is why I’m not super jazzed about the return. We have a bunch of smaller skinny skill guys; we didn’t have many at all like Rutger.

I’ll come around to it but for the time being, it’s impossible to say who won this trade.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
“We had a difficult decision to make with this trade because we hold Brayden Yager in such a high regard as a person and prospect," Penguins GM Kyle Dubas said in a statement. "After much consideration, we decided that the opportunity to add Rutger McGroarty was ultimately in the best interest of the Penguins. He possesses the combination of ability, leadership and competitiveness that the Penguins need to achieve our goals in the short and long run. We look forward to welcoming Rutger and his family to the city of Pittsburgh and the Penguins.”

Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff confirmed Thursday that Rutger McGroarty's agent informed him at the NHL draft combine in June that the star prospect "didn't intend to sign" with the Jets.

"That's the first inkling that we got, there was nothing that was going to come to fruition there," Cheveldayoff said. "We sat down and asked the agent why and he didn't have an answer, he didn't have a reason. ... he just said he just didn't feel right, it started in development camp where he just didn't feel right.

"I met with Rutger face to face several days later and that was the same response as well."

"We're very excited to add Brayden to the organization," Cheveldayoff said. "I think he's a very, very talented player (at) a very skilled position at centre where he can certainly make other players better around him.

"And that's kind of what we've watched and viewed throughout his draft year and obviously, in subsequent scouting situations after that. Obviously, you never know what comes up and just because you don't end up drafting a player, you don't stop keeping tabs on him."

It took Rutger to be traded to a shitty team so that he could fulfill his wish to immediately be in the lineup. Good luck in missing the playoffs for the next decade. :oops:
As far as I'm concerned we never drafted McGroarty we drafted Jager .

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And this is why I’m not super jazzed about the return. We have a bunch of smaller skinny skill guys; we didn’t have many at all like Rutger.

I’ll come around to it but for the time being, it’s impossible to say who won this trade.
I agree size is a good thing but this team needs speed just as much, Colorado showed us that big-time in the playoffs.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

I'm with you, I'm not jazzed, BUT ... considering the hand Chevy was dealt, I don't think he could have realistically been expected to do any better. So I guess I'll take it as a "win" in that respect -- we didn't lose McG for absolutely nothing, but possibly downgraded slightly. Still better than nothing.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, he's a whopping one inch shorter then McGroarty. He'll put on more muscle as he develops.

McGroarty very well may have to trim down to be quick enough for the NHL for all we know.
McG doesn't exactly look big in the pics I've seen of him, which surprised me given his weight. He's same height as me (6'1"), but has about 20 lbs on me and I know what I look like build-wise compared to him and it seems comparable. Even when I was 200lbs like him (after a recent attempt at bulking) I wasn't exactly huge. I'd think I'd want to gain weight not lose it to hang in the NHL at least as someone who plays in the dirty areas rather than perimeter player.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com

Topics:
1) Was Brayden Yager a player they’ve had their eyes on for awhile?
2) Can he provide any clarity on why they needed to move Rutger McGroarty? (1:13)
3) Was there anything in hindsight that provides any more insight? (3:10)
4) Is there any exemption for Yager to play for the Moose next season? (5:03)
5) Would he have been comfortable letting McGroarty play out the year in Michigan? (6:10)
6) Does this change their drafting philosophy? (7:09)
7) What made this deal makes the most sense and were there any others on the table? (8:22)
8) Had McGroarty signed, were they prepared to let him play in the NHL? (9:57)
9) Did McGroarty or his camp ever ask for assurances to the NHL? (11:23)
10) How are discussions going with Cole Perfetti’s representation? (11:43)
11) Is long-term on the table for Cole Pertti? (12:50)
12) Do other long-term deals signed by Perfetti’s peers impact? (13:04)
13) Does player development help Yager get acclimatized to his new team? (13:48)
14) On the handling of young prospects and it being a “concern” (15:17)
15) Based on what he’s heard from agents there isn’t a concern about development? (17:23)

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Yeah, he's a whopping one inch shorter then McGroarty. He'll put on more muscle as he develops.

McGroarty very well may have to trim down to be quick enough for the NHL for all we know.
It's interesting to see how the narrative changes over time and circumstance.

Kyle Connor is only 180lbs, so it's not like he needs to get bigger.

As for McG, he's only 200lbs, so it's not like his massive frame is slowing him down.

Topics:
1) Was Brayden Yager a player they’ve had their eyes on for awhile?
2) Can he provide any clarity on why they needed to move Rutger McGroarty? (1:13)
3) Was there anything in hindsight that provides any more insight? (3:10)
4) Is there any exemption for Yager to play for the Moose next season? (5:03)
5) Would he have been comfortable letting McGroarty play out the year in Michigan? (6:10)
6) Does this change their drafting philosophy? (7:09)
7) What made this deal makes the most sense and were there any others on the table? (8:22)
8) Had McGroarty signed, were they prepared to let him play in the NHL? (9:57)
9) Did McGroarty or his camp ever ask for assurances to the NHL? (11:23)
10) How are discussions going with Cole Perfetti’s representation? (11:43)
11) Is long-term on the table for Cole Pertti? (12:50)
12) Do other long-term deals signed by Perfetti’s peers impact? (13:04)
13) Does player development help Yager get acclimatized to his new team? (13:48)
14) On the handling of young prospects and it being a “concern” (15:17)
15) Based on what he’s heard from agents there isn’t a concern about development? (17:23)

#9: Chevy flat out states that McG never demanded ice-time in the NHL.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's interesting to see how the narrative changes over time and circumstance.

Kyle Connor is only 180lbs, so it's not like he needs to get bigger.

As for McG, he's only 200lbs, so it's not like his massive frame is showing him down.

#9: Chevy flat out states the McG never demanded ice-time in the NHL.

McGroarty isn't a great skater and it's a speed game now. A number of players in the NHL have elected to trim down to get faster. Adam Lowry on our team is one such example.

It's why I'm saying focusing on weight might not be a great idea as player weight fluctuates based on what the player feels he needs to accomplish.

Reactions: kellhunter

Whileee

May 29, 2010
“We had a difficult decision to make with this trade because we hold Brayden Yager in such a high regard as a person and prospect," Penguins GM Kyle Dubas said in a statement. "After much consideration, we decided that the opportunity to add Rutger McGroarty was ultimately in the best interest of the Penguins. He possesses the combination of ability, leadership and competitiveness that the Penguins need to achieve our goals in the short and long run. We look forward to welcoming Rutger and his family to the city of Pittsburgh and the Penguins.”

Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff confirmed Thursday that Rutger McGroarty's agent informed him at the NHL draft combine in June that the star prospect "didn't intend to sign" with the Jets.

"That's the first inkling that we got, there was nothing that was going to come to fruition there," Cheveldayoff said. "We sat down and asked the agent why and he didn't have an answer, he didn't have a reason. ... he just said he just didn't feel right, it started in development camp where he just didn't feel right.

"I met with Rutger face to face several days later and that was the same response as well."

"We're very excited to add Brayden to the organization," Cheveldayoff said. "I think he's a very, very talented player (at) a very skilled position at centre where he can certainly make other players better around him.

"And that's kind of what we've watched and viewed throughout his draft year and obviously, in subsequent scouting situations after that. Obviously, you never know what comes up and just because you don't end up drafting a player, you don't stop keeping tabs on him."

It took Rutger to be traded to a shitty team so that he could fulfill his wish to immediately be in the lineup. Good luck in missing the playoffs for the next decade. :oops:
Well, the Penguins probably get a big "vibe" injection (though based on Chevy's comments you have to wonder if it will be a faux-vibe from McGroarty).

The jury will remain out on this trade for several years. Both players look like good bets to play in the NHL, but it will take time before their NHL impact can be assessed.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
McGroarty isn't a great skater and it's a speed game now. A number of players in the NHL have elected to trim down to get faster. Adam Lowry on our team is one such example.

It's why I'm saying focusing on weight might not be a great idea as player weight fluctuates based on what the player feels he needs to accomplish.
The interesting part is his size has always been touted as "nhl ready", but as soon as he's moved for someone smaller...

Adam Lowry was never what I'd consider a big guy either. He's tall, but he's always been lanky.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016

I don't think it's the inch shorter. I think it's the 30 lbs lighter. We traded a power forward, which we need, for another lightweight skilled forward, which we already have. I mean can the Jets get any softer?

hardystar

Jan 18, 2023
For the scouting group on HFBoards:

Does Yager have similarity to Nick Suzuki as a comparable?

Suzuki shows as 212 lbs on NHL.com so that is a big difference but I wasn't able to see his weight at D+1 online.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think it's the inch shorter. I think it's the 30 lbs lighter. We traded a power forward, which we need, for another lightweight skilled forward, which we already have. I mean can the Jets get any softer?

This team had been among the biggest and heaviest for years now. I'm sick of hearing about being small and physically soft.

If anything this team has been mentally soft in the playoffs.

Lance Uppercut

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
For the scouting group on HFBoards:

Does Yager have similarity to Nick Suzuki as a comparable?

Suzuki shows as 212 lbs on NHL.com so that is a big difference but I wasn't able to see his weight at D+1 online.
Suzuki was listed as 5-11 and 187 lbs the year he was drafted (2017). Yager was listed as 6-foot and 165 lbs. Not sure what his D+1 weight was.

So, if there is a 20 lbs difference between the two just because of body type, I'd be okay if Yager is 192-ish when he plays in the NHL, as long as he doesn't lose any speed or edging ability.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This team had been among the biggest and heaviest for years now. I'm sick of hearing about being small and physically soft.

Congratulations, friend, on reaching the milestone of 50,000 posts.

Thanks for everything you've contributed here over the years.

Buy yourself a big bottle of champagne to celebrate tonight.

Cheers! :partytime:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

They need more, better players. Colorado proved that again. They just skated them into the ground. Outside of Manson their D aren't exactly monsters.

With the new addition in 2 years or so they could run some combination of Schiefele, Lambert, Yager and Lowry down the middle if Lambert and Yager turn out. But with 3 right hand centers the Jets being the Jets will say the need balance and move one to the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad