Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Last year at Development camp…. I was hoping for a Lowery character 1 st guy from Mc G ….

He’s ( Mc G ) is young still, I think he knows he is AHL bound for 1 season in the Jets system…., so why not spend that season as captain of the Michigan team! (unless he can get a guarantee of NhL playing time)….

I fully expect Chevy to slow play him and sign him to an ELC as soon as Michigan is eliminated from the final 16 participants….

That’s the only way he plays on a NHL team in 2024/25 season. Also burning his 1 st ELC and picking up bonus $ and end of the season $ on nhl roster.

If that does not happen … he gets traded at the 2025 draft for a huge haul…1 st rounder plus…

If that doesn’t happen screw him he can wait until August 2026 to start his professional career…

This last year I was rooting for Michigan to go all the way and win the final 4 …. This year I hope they don’t even qualify…as the extra time will lend itself to McG. Signing with the Jets.

Which is still the best option for all parties involved!

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Of course. Is anyone claiming to know categorically?

I'm stating my opinion of the rumour.
I was referring to gojetsgo who called it for sure false/bulshit. Which it could be. I also wouldn't be shocked if it's true. ( ice time demands)

Technically even what Ates or Macyntyre could be bullshit. That's when we use our own judgment and opinion on how likely it's true. For me personality, I stop one step short on calling something is 100 percent bullshit as matter of fact until we find out for sure. Especially when there's multiple reports out there that skirt around the same basic subject mater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
My plaque on my cabin wall says….

“ Even a fish 🎣 would not get in trouble….. if he only kept his mouth shut!”
I have a t-shirt like that...

20240417_050124-jpg.894060

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was referring to gojetsgo who called it for sure false/bulshit. Which it could be. I also wouldn't be shocked if it's true.

Technically even what Ates or Macyntyre could be bullshit. That's when we use our own judgment and opinion on how likely it's true. For ne personality, I stop one step short on calling something is 100 percent as bullshit as matter of fact until we find out for sure. Especially when there's multiple reports out there that skirt around the same basic subject mater.
I think reporters hear things from other reporters, agents, NHL team hangers-on and report things out, even if the information might be shaky or deliberately misleading to change the trade value / dynamics. All media are forced to provide hot takes and rumours to generate interest, so perhaps the threshold is a bit lower now. Teams, agents, and hangers-on know this.

The reality is that some inside information is just deliberately provocative to pressure GMs. Some has kernels of truth at a time, but change when circumstances change, and reporters and insiders often don't know when GMs or players have shifted perspectives.

All rumours get overheated with hot takes by media that need to get on shows and podcasts and draw attention to themselves, so exaggeration is common. Add to that a predilection for some Winnipeg media members to muckrake and you end up with slagging of the team, the player, or both.

That's where we are with the McGroarty situation, I think. My guess is that the Jets are interested in trading him, but the reasons are likely much more nuanced than the media and some fans want to portray. Regardless, I expect Chevy to be patient and to resist any quick moves that bring a low value trade. He knows all of the teams that are interested, and what the pressure points and trade windows are. The next pressure point is soon, because McGroarty will need to let Michigan know if he is traded to a team that he'd like to turn pro with next season. If a trade doesn't happen soon, sit back and wait for the next optimum trade window...

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Just remembering that the Jets and national media have missed quite badly on some major moves in the past couple of years. There was all sorts of speculation that the Jets were on the verge of a PLD trade to Montreal, and then the LAK trade came out of nowhere. At this point last year, almost all of the media (including "insiders") were saying that Scheifele and Hellebuyck were as good as gone (some saying Hellebuyck would never sign another contract with the Jets).

None of the local media had any inkling of the Jets' intentions or chances of re-signing Colin Miller.

My point is that when it comes to the Jets and NHL rumours I think there is a ton of smoke out there, and it's prudent to wait and see without jumping to conclusions and getting emotionally worked up about the rumours.
All the rumors out of Montreal about PLD came from Hughes and his monkey LeBrun. Once the Habs were out of the picture that idiot LeBrun has no information.

It's probably a similar situation with most Jets rumors because the Jets don't leak much. If they do they seem to go through Dreger. When we get rumors from other PR media....I mean "insiders" it's just not reliable.

McG and his camp are a leaky boat. Seems that's where the narrative is coming from. Everyone who claims to talk to their camp down to Jesse from Bardown who claims to be "friendly" with McG puts out the same story that's floating around the rumours.

But I think we have seen enough Chevy that we should know he gives zero shits about what other people say or want. If he has control of a player he has used it and doesn't panic.

I think Chevy has the door open and would prefer to have McG play for the Jets. They have plenty of time for that to happen. They have plenty of time to wait for that to happen or get an offer that makes sense for the Jets.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I find that canoeing and fishing is a combinatory elixir... an old plaque on my cabin wall reads that "Allah does not deduct time from man's life spent fishing".

Projects can be intercalated with fishing. :) In between fixing up the cabin with some new furniture (south of Wanipigow) I canoe in the Manigotagan river, or in Lake Winnipeg itself. This is about 100 km up the East side across from Black Island - its transitional boreal biome, a lot like the Whiteshell, but with black granite rather than pink. The fishing is really good.
So does that canoe have a spot where you can strap a 40 Merc to the back of it ? If so count me in , if not , I'm to old for that paddling crap .

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Chevy doesn't have a track record of just shopping top prospects around. I don't think he's ever traded a 1st or 2nd round Jets prospect (that hasn't demanded out, like Trouba, Laine and Roslovic).
he's traded like 2 prospects from my memory- foley and smith, the latter wanting out. no high drafted ones evidently. i doubt the Jets are the catalyst in trying to move mcgroarty.

Reactions: thereturn

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Who would have guessed that the Brad Lambert pick at 30 would end up being our first round gem in 22? Thank GOD the Rags made the Eastern Final and Copp didn't get hurt.
I guessed it, actually. I wasn’t crazy on the McGroarty pick, but loved the Lambert pick… didn’t think Chevy had it in him to draft Lambert.

When I thought of it as Lambert at 14, McGroarty at 30… that made me feel a lot better. :)

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I guessed it, actually. I wasn’t crazy on the McGroarty pick, but loved the Lambert pick… didn’t think Chevy had it in him to draft Lambert.

When I thought of it as Lambert at 14, McGroarty at 30… that made me feel a lot better. :)
The Lambert pick was very similar to the Vesalienen and Salomonsson picks where they were considered one of the top prospects of their class but dropped huge in their draft year.

Reactions: Jet

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022

Nailed it, my thoughts exactly. I thought all along they should have been drafted in the others spot 👍🏽

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think many here said there was a chance at the time. He was considered a top 5 pick by some earlier in the year.

I wanted him at 14, fortunate we got him at 30, but Chevy's(and the scouts) reach for McGroarty at 14 when he was ranked generally lower turned out to be a really good pick too, just unfortunate with all the bullshit that has followed.

There are few prospects 15-29 I'd trade him for straight up.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pretty sure many thought Rutger and Lamberts spots could've been reversed.
I wanted him at 14, fortunate we got him at 30, but Chevy's(and the scouts) reach for McGroarty at 14 when he was ranked generally lower turned out to be a really good pick too, just unfortunate with all the bullshit that has followed.

There are few prospects 15-29 I'd trade him for straight up.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
To me Rutger could have come to Development Camp (doesn't need to be signed to attend correct?) And wowed the teams socks and made it as hard for the Jets not want to see him in the lineup. Same with training camp, can he come to that unsigned?, and make his case there.

We really know nothing other than what has come out of Chevy's mouth since the media, much like politicians only lie when their lips are moving.

If he truly will not sign here then unless Chevy gets the return he wants then let McG waste a couple years and take the 2nd round pick as compensation and use that on some ineffective UFA at the trade deadline in a few years for us who goes full Invisible Man for us in the playoffs.😆

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
So does that canoe have a spot where you can strap a 40 Merc to the back of it ? If so count me in , if not , I'm to old for that paddling crap .
I've counted you in; Its a square stern double bottom aluminum Grumman and can take a 6 hp Merc, if the lake is feeling contrary.

Me plus the 6 hp Merc = 7 hp Turk

Last edited:

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I hated wasting #14 on McG when it happened and haven’t changed my mind once since. Should have taken Lambert at 14 and Owen Beck at 30. Chevy and his drafting talking heads screwed the pooch on this completely.
Now he’s making it hard to trade him with his stupid demands… can’t see a way Chevy wins this one, but he’s done it before so it is possible…just get rid of this brat and move on to addressing our needs

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I hated wasting #14 on McG when it happened and haven’t changed my mind once since. Should have taken Lambert at 14 and Owen Beck at 30. Chevy and his drafting talking heads screwed the pooch on this completely.
Now he’s making it hard to trade him with his stupid demands… can’t see a way Chevy wins this one, but he’s done it before so it is possible…just get rid of this brat and move on to addressing our needs
This one is a bit confusing.

Did you not like Rutger as a prospect? Cause that part obviously didn't age well. So far his development has done nothing but justify his selection.

This situation sucks but it's tough to see how this is on Chevy making a mistake. There were zero red flags last year.

Agreed that it will be nice to address some other gaps when he does get moved.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
This one is a bit confusing.

Did you not like Rutger as a prospect? Cause that part obviously didn't age well. So far his development has done nothing but justify his selection.

This situation sucks but it's tough to see how this is on Chevy making a mistake. There were zero red flags last year.

Agreed that it will be nice to address some other gaps when he does get moved.
He was an unknown when he was picked and was projected to go late 1st early 2nd…Chevy got lucky with how McG developed after the draft… but I still say we should have taken Lambert at 14 and Beck at 30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad