Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is the way I'm looking at it. I always assume 13 forwards and 8 D make opening night.

Locks at forward (9):
Miller
Boeser
DeBrusk
EP
Joshua
Garland
Heinen
Sherwood
Blueger

Bubble guys at forward (need 4):
Suter
Sprong
Hoglander
Podkolzin
Aman
PDG

All of these guys need waivers. They won't risk Hoglander or Podkolzin on waivers. They either make the team or get traded this summer. Suter is an interesting case. He's an NHL player, he's versatile, but he's also expendable if they can find an upgrade at 3C. I'm not convinced he'll be on the roster on opening night.

Abbotsford to start:
Karlsson
Raty
Bains
Sasson
Lekkermaki

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Bubble guys at forward (need 4):
Suter
Sprong
Hoglander
Podkolzin
Aman
PDG

All of these guys need waivers. They won't risk Hoglander or Podkolzin on waivers. They either make the team or get traded this summer. Suter is an interesting case. He's an NHL player, he's versatile, but he's also expendable if they can find an upgrade at 3C. I'm not convinced he'll be on the roster on opening night.

Abbotsford to start:
Karlsson
Raty
Bains
Sasson
Lekkermaki

Suter is no way a "bubble guy", even if they replace him at 3C, Tocchet would likely immediately put him back on Miller's line, or as the second winger with Pettersson. Given the centre situation currently, there's no way he misses a single game unless injured.

After Suter and Blueger at centre you have Aman, who is a massive downgrade on both.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Suter is no way a "bubble guy", even if they replace him at 3C, Tocchet would likely immediately put him back on Miller's line, or as the second winger with Pettersson. Given the centre situation currently, there's no way he misses a single game unless injured.

After Suter and Blueger at centre you have Aman, who is a massive downgrade on both.
I initially had him in the top group. My intent was to say he will be on the roster (ie a “lock”) or traded in a move that upgrades the 3C spot. In that way he’s similar to Hoglander and Podkolzin. None of these three will see Abbotsford.
He’s a useful player. I just don’t see him as a difference maker.

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I initially had him in the top group. My intent was to say he will be on the roster (ie a “lock”) or traded in a move that upgrades the 3C spot. In that way he’s similar to Hoglander and Podkolzin. None of these three will see Abbotsford.
He’s a useful player. I just don’t see him as a difference maker.

He's not a difference maker, but he's a cost-efficient top-nine NHLer that plays centre and wing, and is useful on the PK. He's likely more valuable on the roster than in trade on that basis, and is probably marked as a fairly important part of the top nine heading into the season. I think he's a lot more locked in than a guy like Hoglander, for instance. He's leagues ahead of the Podz, PDG, Aman group.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Seems pretty apparent the Canucks will be trading for a d-man at some point this season......I'd be pumped about them adding a rearguard like Shea Theodore.

But for that to happen, Vegas would have to have a 'down year' and be 'sellers' at the TDL. Just can't really see that happening. I'm wondering about Wilander though. If his NCAA season were to end early at BU, would the Canucks sign him and bring him in as defensive depth?
if vegas falters in the first 10-15 games i can see them trading theodore early. why do you need to wait at the deadline.? look at zadorov last year. alvin aquired him in late november for cheap.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
He's not a difference maker, but he's a cost-efficient top-nine NHLer that plays centre and wing, and is useful on the PK. He's likely more valuable on the roster than in trade on that basis, and is probably marked as a fairly important part of the top nine heading into the season. I think he's a lot more locked in than a guy like Hoglander, for instance. He's leagues ahead of the Podz, PDG, Aman group.
This is the danger of trying to group players. No player is exactly the same. I agree that Suter is way above Aman and PDG but he’s also way below Miller.
I think that all of the players in the top group have a strong role to play whether it’s top line, 4th line etc. Yes, Suter is a legitimate NHL player bu I see him more as a fill in player. He doesn’t need to prove himself like Hoglander or Podkolzin but he is a guy that could be moved to upgrade elsewhere.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Not a comment on the bubble thing but the,

"Tocchet would just put him with Miller or Pettersson"

Got me thinking about Tocchet's mindset.
Pettersson and Miller have two totally separate styles of play requiring different types of wingers.
No cookie cutter easy replacements.

Miller at one time with the Canucks was not considered a very good defensive player and needed wingers to help him like Pearson.
Pettersson was considered almost a Selke candidate needing a winger that was more offensive minded and not quite as good defensively.

The last season and a half has seen EP trying to hit way more which has taken away from his offence.
Even last season with the two Russians, Kuz and Mik they were a potent and dangerous line. EP was way up in scoring and they were the most consistent forward scoring line and SECOND best defensive line.
Kuz is traded and Mik taken off the line and EP's scoring goes way down, drops like rock.

These guys are gone and that's over but it shows how important for EP that the right wingers are selected for him.
Miller just plays an old style in your face game. He is much stronger and tougher than EP. Meaning only that EP should not try to be other than what he is, an offensive player first and grinder 2nd or even 3rd.

Can Strong and Debrusk combined be the wingers that would fill the Kuz and Mik roles? Seems they have the same .... skills or deficiencies as those two. Strong can score but not so great in his own zone, actually a little worse than Kuz and Debrusk who is probably better than Mik was here while hurt.

Just some summer distraction. We'll see soon enough.

Just my GUESS right now, they don't make the show this year, not enough depth and other teams have improved, some quite a bit. I'll get into that later, my GUESS as to the standings for next year as things stand now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Raty came into camp and looks like he’s belongs, that was be such a nice surprise and huge for the bottom 6
I'm sure the Canucks hockey ops department is still penciling in Raty as a solid, third-line center, despite his ups and downs in pro hockey so far. Anything less would be a big disappointment.

Obviously they didn't fixate on him in the Horvat deal, to have him play his career as an AHL-NHL 'bubble guy'. But it's a huge training camp for him. At the very least, he has to come in an prove that he's a viable recall option from Abbotsford, in the event of injuries or a scoring slump by some of the other forwards.

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
if vegas falters in the first 10-15 games i can see them trading theodore early. why do you need to wait at the deadline.? look at zadorov last year. alvin aquired him in late november for cheap.

They're not trading Theodore except for maybe Boeser, or Miller. Less than 0% chance Vegas throws in the towel 15 games into the season ... or at all. They'll be fighting for the division.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Ya, I have no idea why anyone is talking about Vegas trading Theodore to us. Seems incredibly unrealistic.
Honestly I had the same thoughts about Calgary trading Zadorov AND Lindholm to us, but I understand Vegas is a little different as I see them actually competing

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Honestly I had the same thoughts about Calgary trading Zadorov AND Lindholm to us, but I understand Vegas is a little different as I see them actually competing
They won the Stanley cup two years ago and still have a strong roster. Unless Theodore is playing poorly and they are dumping his cap they won’t be trading him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sasson is my sleeper pick for preseason success.
My sleeper pick is actually Cole McWard. He's a right shot d-man who got a long look in training camp last season, and even got some minutes with Quinn Hughes. He had a decent, if unspectacular season, last year in Abbotsford. But he has some mobility; can rush the puck on occasion; and has an above average shot from the point.

It would be huge if he could make it, and enable the Canucks to move Hronek to anchor another defensive pairing. I realize it's a long-shot, but that's what training camp and the exhibition schedule are all about.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
If D Petey grew, good for him. I don't think the extra 2 inches will impact or change his game much. He's not a bruiser and he was already at a good height of 6'2. If someone like Bieksa who was 6'1 and 200-205 lbs, was 2 inches taller at 6'3, he'd probably weigh 215 to 220 lbs which would have allowed him to play the game the way he truly would have liked to.

huh? i thought that's exactly what he is. He is physically aggressive and loves to hit.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
how about Vladislav Gavrikov. shutdown defender for second pairing would be nice. la has an abundance of defenseman im sure they wont have trouble parting with a older guy and giving that spot to a younger player. what would L.A want? hoglander?

Scouting Report
Is growing into a solid two-way defenseman who can play in all situations and gobble up 20-plus minutes per game. Was an excellent defensive defenseman when he arrived in the NHL from Russia and continues to flesh out his game as he matures. His offensive game is growing, but not at the expense of the defensive skills and effort that got him to the top league.

courtesy of sportsforecaster

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If D Petey grew, good for him. I don't think the extra 2 inches will impact or change his game much. He's not a bruiser and he was already at a good height of 6'2. If someone like Bieksa who was 6'1 and 200-205 lbs, was 2 inches taller at 6'3, he'd probably weigh 215 to 220 lbs which would have allowed him to play the game the way he truly would have liked to.

I haven't watched a ton of D-Pettersson, but in many of the highlights, he sure looks like a player who is physical, aggressive, and likes to hit. Even this summer, I recall an article stating that it was okay that we let Zadorov go, as we are developing our own version in D-Pettersson. It then went on to show all his hits and aggressive plays. I can't seem to find the article, but ya, I think he's more physical than some thing, so size should benefit that.

Could be the most boring camp in recent Canuck history. Unless someone comes in and blows the doors off the competition, most of the lineup is basically set. As soon as they brought in seven UFA's, including four forwards, there just doesn't appear to be any openings other than for the 13th forward.

Barring some sore of miracle, a lot of the guys you thought would be given every opportunity to crack the lineup--Raty, Sasson Bains, Karlsson and McWard/Woo on the blueline--are heading back to Abbotsford for sure. It'll be interesting to see how much time in the exhibition schedule they give to Lekkerimaki.

But the opening night lineup is basically cast in stone.

I actually think this will be an exciting camp...

I'm very interested to see where some of our new acquisitions will fit. All of Sherwood, Heinen, Sprong, and Desharnais have shown some modest potential to play a role above a depth player, I'm very curious how that will pan out. Then, we do have some guys that should be pushing for spots from Abbotsford, it will be interesting to see if any of them work their way into the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad