Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i think seattle will be very good next year too. stephenson and montour got gross contracts but they're both good players who will help that team a lot. they also have like a million forward prospects pushing to make the nhl
Who are these prospects pushing? Shane Wright and Ryker Evans sure but after that they are extremely raw. Rehkopf maybe? Most are too young and need some time in the A.

Agree that they should be a much better team though as long as most of the aging vets up front can still keep up and stay healthy. Schwartz Eberle Burakovsky Gourde and Tanev are breaking down/getting too old though so it might be tough to get the consistency needed to push high into the standings

Expect Beniers to bounce back and if Wright can be good that's huge especially with Stephenson and Montour adding to the mix. Should be solid down the spine and a plucky squad.

Large gap between the core vets and the young guns lack high end impact players at this stage and goaltending is still not great. Look like a mushy middle team to me but it's possible Bylsma gets them in the right direction and they fire on all cylinders i guess. Their D looks pretty solid.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Who are these prospects pushing? Shane Wright and Ryker Evans sure but after that they are extremely raw. Rehkopf maybe? Most are too young and need some time in the A.

firkus, nyman, rehkopf, winterton, ottavainen and maybe even catton. seattle are absolutely loaded with B/C+ prospects who have a real shot at the nhl

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
There will be a really interesting competition in training camp. Injuries aside, we have 15 NHL-ready forwards.

Miller, Boeser, DeBrusk, EP, Joshua, Suter, Garland, Heinen, Sherwood, and Blueger seem like locks to me. That's 10 of 12 spots.

Sprong and Hoglander seem likely.

That leaves Podz, PDG, and Aman fighting for the 13th F spot. Likely that two of these three are claimed or traded or sent down, or maybe Hoglander is traded.

Guys like Karlsson, Raty, Bains, Sasson and Lekkermaki are all AHL bound.
I'm not sold on Suter being a lock if Raty shows well at C through camp and the first couple months. Makes sense to use his asset value and 1.6 to fill a LD need in a contract back situation at that stage.

Something/someone is gonna break without an injury or 2.

Hoglander and/or Podkolzin are very much in the hot seats to be more reliable. Being raw is not really much of an excuse anymore. Heinen Sprong will be fighting with Hoglander Podkolzin for ice time. Tocchet wont dress a bunch of middle six guys without PK and shut down capabilities. Heinen can PK so he's a lock.

I dont think they want to lose Amen for his PKing and C depth. Doubtful to be waived without Sasson Raty and maybe even Smith Mueller looking like they can command more in the future.

Boeser Garland Debrusk will get the lions share of the minutes with Heinen Joshua Sherwood as the other 3 most locked in players on the wings which leaves just 2 spots for Hoglander Podkolzin Sprong Suter (if not at C which he probably will be to start) PDG Bains Karlsson.

Sprong played less than 10minutes in over half his last 16 games in Detroit. Podkolzin wasnt fully trusted by Tocchet but even got more ice. Hoglander is a bit of a wild card in all of it as is Raty. With Sherwood and Heinen PDG has more likelihood of getting sent down

firkus, nyman, rehkopf, winterton, ottavainen and maybe even catton. seattle are absolutely loaded with B/C+ prospects who have a real shot at the nhl
You really believe any of those guys will turn the needle at this stage?

Reactions: John Garretts KD

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
Internal competition is one of the best ways to improve a roster imo, and the Canucks have done this really well for forwards this summer. Seems likely they make a trade in the weeks before the season opener, either for a LD or for picks/prospects to avoid losing players to waivers.

Reactions: sting101

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
You really believe any of those guys will turn the needle at this stage?

i think most of them will make the nhl and a couple will turn out to be good players

i don't think seattle are a juggernaut in the making or anything (they really lack high end players unless wright, bernier or evans are significantly better than they project right now) but they have probably the deepest farm in the entire league if you're just looking at producing guys who'll play multiple nhl seasons

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think Seattle has that gamebreaker in their system yet but I guess Wright has the chance to become that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see J-Pat on Canucks Army is wondering about bringing in Justin Shultz on a PTO? Former long-time Penguin; right shot, 34 year old d-man, with some offense in his game. Last two years in Seattle, be hit the UFA market and still without a deal.

Would he make any sense for the Canucks--or is he done?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I miss capfriendly and the ease and familiarity it had. Capwages still has some contracts listed wrong and puckpedia isn't very user friendly.

Bah-humbug.

Not perfect but I use it everyday with very minimal complaints, and it gets updated/improved regularly (by ex capfriendly employee and evolving hockey).

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Internal competition is one of the best ways to improve a roster imo, and the Canucks have done this really well for forwards this summer. Seems likely they make a trade in the weeks before the season opener, either for a LD or for picks/prospects to avoid losing players to waivers.
Yeah i don’t fully believe it’s just lip service from management. Theres 2 spots open in the top 6 and 2 more spots on the 4th line + a spot as the 13th forward for anyone to grab.

1LW and 2RW aren’t set in stone much like how 4C, 4LW, and 13F aren’t either. Suter, Heinen, Sprong, Hoglander and Podkolzin group will be fighting to secure these roles and the PDG, Raty, Sasson, Karlsson, Aman, Lekkerimaki and Bains group on the doorstep.

Taking account position, versatility, skill, player type and age, you can kinda get the idea of who has a better chance at grabbing a particular spot in the line up over others and who is likely to go through waivers/AHL. .

Reactions: John Garretts KD

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Seattle will be mediocre again. There isn't enough high end talent to push that roster further than a wildcard spot (if they're lucky). Their season two years ago was a complete fluke.
Agree that's the most likely outcome but i don't see 22/23 as a fluke but more of players stayed healthy and they were able to revitalize a lot of them with a fresh opportunity and getting their excellent depth to pay off.

Issue now is many of them were already looked at as expendable when they expanded and it's now year 4 for some of them and it's asking a lot without a push from the bottom. I like many others here thought they would be better in year 1 but goaltending health chemistry and luck didn't add up to wins.

They have many picks that might add up to something very good down the road but they are in a spot where the kids are good not high end or ready the prime ages are just good players with a group of vets that did a lot of heavy lifting that are aging out. They will be competitive but certainly look middling.

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
Yeah i don’t fully believe it’s just lip service from management. Theres 2 spots open in the top 6 and 2 more spots on the 4th line + a spot as the 13th forward for anyone to grab.

1LW and 2RW aren’t set in stone much like how 4C, 4LW, and 13F aren’t either. Suter, Heinen, Sprong, Hoglander and Podkolzin group will be fighting to secure these roles and the PDG, Raty, Sasson, Karlsson, Aman, Lekkerimaki and Bains group on the doorstep.

Taking account position, versatility, skill, player type and age, you can kinda get the idea of who has a better chance at grabbing a particular spot in the line up over others and who is likely to go through waivers/AHL. .
Agreed. Although I wouldn’t include Heinen and Hoglander in that first group. Heinen because he got a 2 year contract and has shown he can play anywhere on a roster, and Hoglander because they wouldn’t want to tank his value when it’s at an all time high (although I guess it would help get a cheaper contract extension if we keep him).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Anyone on a 1 year deal in around $1 mill can be sent to the A for someone else. End of the day, if Suter is waived for Pod, it's still the going to cost about $1.6 mill against the cap. $1.075 mill is freed up when you send Suter down and Pod counts $1 mill, so technically a $75K cap savings. And of PDG, Sprong or anyone else, Tocchect should keep whomever he feels is the best player to have on the roster.

Most teams are going to have 1 or 2 one way contracts in the AHL. Cost of the insurance to have some decent players to call up in case of injuries and to not yoyo your young prospects up and down during the season. I prefer to keep youngsters in the A until they are legitimately ready to compete for an NHL roster spot, or a late season look to get a sense of NHL speed.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Agreed. Although I wouldn’t include Heinen and Hoglander in that first group. Heinen because he got a 2 year contract and has shown he can play anywhere on a roster, and Hoglander because they wouldn’t want to tank his value when it’s at an all time high (although I guess it would help get a cheaper contract extension if we keep him).

Hoglander with Miller and Boeser just makes too much sense. I could honestly see him flirting with 30 next to then. Its pretty obvious we're rolling with duos with lines 1-3. Allvin and Rutherford have done an amazing job at finding guys who can play up and down the line up.

Miller-Boeser
EP-Debrusk
Joshua-Garland

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Yes, Heinen is basically locked into a top-six spot unless he blows it, in my opinion. He'll either line with Miller in Suter's spot, or on Pettersson's unit with DeBrusk. Sprong and Hoglander will compete for the final spot. Only wildcard is if they decide to give Garland and/or Joshua a shot, but seems they are going to keep that unit together rotating with Suter/Blueger.

Podz would have to take a quantum offeason leap to even be in the conversation with Heinen/Hoglander/Sprong. He's more in competition for the last 4th line slot opposite Sherwood.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Podkolzin Blueger Sherwood would be such a damn good 4th line in my mind. I think Sherwood would help bring out the chippiness in Podkolzin as well. Watching Sherwood against us in the first round was so annoying

Heinen Miller Boeser
Debrusk Pettersson Hoglander
Joshua Suter Garland
Podkolzin Blueger Sherwood

Sprong will rotate in based on who’s stale for the week and injuries will inevitably happen. Suter/Blueger rotate.

Reactions: sting101

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Agree that they should be a much better team though as long as most of the aging vets up front can still keep up and stay healthy. Schwartz Eberle Burakovsky Gourde and Tanev are breaking down/getting too old though so it might be tough to get the consistency needed to push high into the standings

Expect Beniers to bounce back and if Wright can be good that's huge especially with Stephenson and Montour adding to the mix. Should be solid down the spine and a plucky squad.

Large gap between the core vets and the young guns lack high end impact players at this stage and goaltending is still not great. Look like a mushy middle team to me but it's possible Bylsma gets them in the right direction and they fire on all cylinders i guess. Their D looks pretty solid.

There might not be a lot of players who can realistically make it this year but if they get two solid prospects contributing including Wright making a strong impact it would be a huge benefit for them. Add those two to Stephenson and Beniers coming back strong as you suggest. That's a significant change and possibly large improvement up front.

Really weird trajectory for their beginning. Got a high draft pick and then shot up in the standings only to bottom out again. A top 10 pick from two years ago would have been helpful, but after looking it up I have to say I really like Sale. What's his current story, his speed and skill is pretty sublime I thought?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For Seattle they finished 2023 at 100 points. I don’t think there was a potential game changer between mitchov at 7 to phi and what Sea got in Sale. It’s a 20 point difference to go down to was at 8 who took Leonard.

That said, not a big fan of the deals Francis handed out this summer. Could very well see him fired if Bylsma can’t turn it around for Seattle over the next 2 seasons.

Reactions: BimJenning

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hoglander with Miller and Boeser just makes too much sense. I could honestly see him flirting with 30 next to then. Its pretty obvious we're rolling with duos with lines 1-3. Allvin and Rutherford have done an amazing job at finding guys who can play up and down the line up.

Miller-Boeser
EP-Debrusk
Joshua-Garland
How does Hoglander with Miller and Boeser make any sense? That duo is Tocc's primary matchup line. He's not putting Hoglander in that role, full stop.

Heinen seems to be the most likely option there, barring him having a horrible preseason and camp.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Agree that's the most likely outcome but i don't see 22/23 as a fluke but more of players stayed healthy and they were able to revitalize a lot of them with a fresh opportunity and getting their excellent depth to pay off.
I think it is a fluke. Martin Jones was 27-13-3 with a 0.887SV%. Grubauer was 17-14-4 with a 0.895SV%. Somehow they finished with a +33 goal differential (good for 12th best in the league) and finished with 100 points.

That's like having two Jack Campbell's in net but without McDavid putting up the highest point totals since Mario Lemieux.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
How does Hoglander with Miller and Boeser make any sense? That duo is Tocc's primary matchup line. He's not putting Hoglander in that role, full stop.

Heinen seems to be the most likely option there, barring him having a horrible preseason and camp.

Only thing I'd say here, if you really wanted to juice Pettersson's linemates putting Heinen on the left side opposite DeBrusk is probably about as much as you could improve it. Miller-Boeser is sort of fine with whatever NHL-quality linemate you've put with them, so they can carry someone else. Not saying it is Hoglander, but you could swing it, probably.

Also, if you really want to try DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser, then Heinen-Pettersson-Sprong, or Hoglander-Pettersson-Heinen does make sense on the second.

Ideally this works, as you have everyone on their natural sides: Heinen-Miller-Boeser, DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong, and obviously two right-shots in the top six.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
There's no way Suter is anywhere near the chopping block. Dude played most of last year as our 1st line LW. Sure he was sort of a place holder, but nobody came to take his place. He can also play C, and is cheap as hell.
Trades? Who knows. Absolutely no chance he's waived, and would never clear if he was. He's more likely to be back with Miller, Boeser than to be wearing a different uniform next year imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad