Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Screenshot 2024-07-12 105240.jpg
Its getting outa hand

Last edited:

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
It has probably nothing to do with PP time but more so when Chevy goes to Rutger and says "hey we have a sign and trade worked out with MTL who's willing to play you in the NHL" and Rutger camp is saying they won't sign in MTL. He's got a list of teams he will go to and if they aren't on it he won't sign. It explains Chevys frustration a little more as well

Reactions: GREMLIN

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
It has probably nothing to do with PP time but more so when Chevy goes to Rutger and says "hey we have a sign and trade worked out with MTL who's willing to play you in the NHL" and Rutger camp is saying they won't sign in MTL. He's got a list of teams he will go to and if they aren't on it he won't sign. It explains Chevys frustration a little more as well
I think if he had a list of teams he was only willing to go to then chevy wouldn't talk to the teams that weren't on it and avoid that situation all together

the rumor about mins/pp time was bullshit that piggy backed off of mcintyres report, it seems as simple as he wants a spot to play in the nhl and teams aren't willing to guarantee him that

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I think if he had a list of teams he was only willing to go to then chevy wouldn't talk to the teams that weren't on it and avoid that situation all together

the rumor about mins/pp time was bullshit that piggy backed off of mcintyres report, it seems as simple as he wants a spot to play in the nhl and teams aren't willing to guarantee him that
Nor should any team guarantee that.

I don't recall Gretzky, Crosby, McDavid or Bedard being guaranteed anything.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the McGroarty situation is way overblown by the media and hockey social media frenzy.

Remember that at first it was the Jets fault for hampering all their prospects. Now it's McGroarty wants outlandish guarantees.

I think it's a much more straightforward situation of McGroarty wanting to stay in college instead of spending most of next season in the AHL, and the Jets seeing him as a good trade chip. Chevy and the Jets are probably frustrated that a couple of trades didn't go through, but I'd guess that other teams are just putting the blame on McGroarty to deflect and perhaps lower Chevy's trade ask.

Time for everyone to chill out and let the process play out. Chevy is going to be patient and leave options open (including signing him for next year if a good trade doesn't emerge), or trade him if he gets his asking price. McGroarty will probably decide on whether to turn pro or stay in college depending on roster options if he's traded to another team.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If you are a new player in the league and are good enough to get a guaranteed roster spot etc. you don't really need the guarantee or get the guarantee, because, well you are good enough and everyone sees it. so you don't need it. IE. Someone like Crosby.

Almost nobody on the planet has bigger egos than professional athletes. And 99.99% of them think they are as good as they think. So they sign their contract and then work their asses off to prove they were worth the name on the paper.

If you or your agent / advisor / bar buddy is insisting you get a guarantee of a spot or whatever before signing a contract, it's because you are not good enough on your own merits at the current time to warrant a spot, and you want a safety net, because you know it.

Last edited:

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
I think the McGroarty situation is way overblown by the media and hockey social media frenzy.

Remember that at first it was the Jets fault for hampering all their prospects. Now it's McGroarty wants outlandish guarantees.

I think it's a much more straightforward situation of McGroarty wanting to stay in college instead of spending most of next season in the AHL, and the Jets seeing him as a good trade chip. Chevy and the Jets are probably frustrated that a couple of trades didn't go through, but I'd guess that other teams are just putting the blame on McGroarty to deflect and perhaps lower Chevy's trade ask.

Time for everyone to chill out and let the process play out. Chevy is going to be patient and leave options open (including signing him for next year if a good trade doesn't emerge), or trade him if he gets his asking price. McGroarty will probably decide on whether to turn pro or stay in college depending on roster options if he's traded to another team.
Agreed. He would be better off preparing for the pro game in the AHL though. That doesn’t sound like something captain America is down with however. Every pro soccer player including all of the greatest players have played their way up, learning the team systems, before playing on the main club, no matter how good they are.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

I think the demands of mins/pp are made up and are just piggybacking off the real issue which has been reported 100 times which is he wants a spot in the nhl, based on chevy's comments it's become quite clear that the relationship has soured

I don't think the jets are trying to use him as a trade chip just because he would rather go back to college over the ahl, we almost traded him to the wild for the 13th overall pick, how does trading mcgroarty for a prospect 2 years behind in development help the jets? the only reason to do that is if you feel like you have to trade him

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I thought this too before the draft

By all accounts, Chevy has worked hard to deal him and had a few trades in place that fell through for whatever reason (including teams at the draft who had their picks available until a player they liked fell to them)

So why no trade now? We can only speculate... but if were only about an NHL roster spot, you'd think that a team with room in their line up for him would have aquired him by now.

So either chevy hasn't gotten an offer he likes, there are no teams willing to promise that he'll forego the AHL, OR there is something to the rumours flying about his camp having even more outlandish demands than just an NHL roster spot

We don't know for sure, though, so you could be 100% right

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If you are a new player in the league and are good enough to get a guaranteed roster spot etc. you don't really need the guarantee or get the guarantee, because, well you are good enough and everyone sees it. so you don't need it. IE. Someone like Crosby.

Almost nobody on the planet has bigger egos than professional athletes. And 99.99% of them think they are as good as they think. So they sign their contract and then work their asses off to prove they were worth the name on the paper.

If you or your agent / advisor / bar buddy is insisting you get a guarantee of a spot or whatever before signing a contract, it's because you are not good enough on your own merits at the current time to warrant a spot, and you want a safety net, because you know it.
I would agree with this, to me it's one of 3 things. He doesn't want to be a Winnipeg Jet , thinks the roster in Winnipeg is too tough to get in the top 6 not 3rd or 4th line or he just plainly doesn't want to not make the team out of camp and have to play in the lowly AHL with the Moose for even a day. I would of given anything to get as high as the AHL, one tiny step from the big league.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The common denominator in all this speculation is that Rutger's camp is putting his own interests before the team's interests in his development. Normally, these would coincide, but clearly they don't like plan for him or he would prefer to play elsewhere, or both. I think it's a combination of the two.

Does that make him a complete asshole, like certain others we have had on this team? No, but it absolutely describes the actions of someone who is indifferent to the Jets, relative to his own interests.

I just want the best return possible at this point, but there is no rush, and something to be gained for Jets (and possibly the league) to let him wither on the vine for a season.

There is also the slim possibility he has a change of heart, which would be fine, but that outcome will only come with tough love and boundary-setting from the Jets, not from capitulation to selfish demands.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I thought this too before the draft

By all accounts, Chevy has worked hard to deal him and had a few trades in place that fell through for whatever reason (including teams at the draft who had their picks available until a player they liked fell to them)

So why no trade now? We can only speculate... but if were only about an NHL roster spot, you'd think that a team with room in their line up for him would have aquired him by now.

So either chevy hasn't gotten an offer he likes, there are no teams willing to promise that he'll forego the AHL, OR there is something to the rumours flying about his camp having even more outlandish demands than just an NHL roster spot

We don't know for sure, though, so you could be 100% right
Really could just be that mcgro had beers with fantilli or Gauthier or both and they told him he has the power and he should come play with them again and have fun

If he is actually holding out, I'm sure he's given the Jets only 2-3 teams he will sign with and those teams know it too...

He would step into a line with fantilli in Columbus... that's probably his target

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Do you know this for a fact? I think until we get confirmation either way we simply do not know if it's true or not.. I could be. It could be false.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Chevy doesn't have a track record of just shopping top prospects around. I don't think he's ever traded a 1st or 2nd round Jets prospect (that hasn't demanded out, like Trouba, Laine and Roslovic).

Reactions: DRW204 and Buffdog

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Took a quick look and Columbus is also one of the few teams that could offer McGro guaranteed PP time

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Im a Habs fan but I believe this take is 100% correct.

These American primadonnas don’t go through this whole ordeal and ruin their reputation just to end up in another Canadian market.

Habs have the assets, he makes perfect sense for their core, I’m sure a fair offer has been proposed and it’s the McGroarty party that’s the problem.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad