Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How many of those teams are there?

Someone (I think on the main boards?) did a deep dive on this with contracts of varying amounts in each city. The savings weren't as great as I thought they'd be. For one, only a player's home games are taxed where they play. Road games are taxed according to where they're played. Signing bonuses get around that though

All Canadian markets were near the bottom in net pay, but the Cali and Metro area teams weren't far behind

I recall this as well. It's not nearly as straightforward as most would think. There are obviously markets where the advantage is larger but some (some of them surprising) as you point out where it is rather negligible.

I'd think the bigger advantage would be for those low tax states where players are being paid more by bonuses or where the contract isn't a standard contract. The Jets seldom do signing bonuses and I expect a fair bit of that has to do with the fact that it would be taxed at the marginal rate for Manitoba/Canada. For the Jets players, having half your games taxed in other markets is probably beneficial.

When it comes to the tax advantage, I think as you get older, if you are really talented and you can kind of pick and choose it becomes a factor. When you are trying to break in and establish yourself I think it should be the least of your worries.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Personally, I had McGroarty as our #1 prospect last off season (I didn’t have Perfetti as a prospect any more at that time). Since then both Lambert and Salomonsson had what I would consider really strong draft +2 seasons. If this incident didn’t happen I am not quite sure how I would have voted this off season but those would be my top 3.

I think 2nd line is where I probably project McG or Lambert depending on how things progress. Solomonsson I am less sure, he might have a higher ceiling but D men are tough for me to project unless I really love them. I had Perfetti above McG and Lambert as a prospect at their age.

That was (is) my take and who knows how it turns out. I am hoping our guys exceed my expectations.

I've had Salomonssen as our top prospect for a bit now. I think he has top pairing RD upside which is why I put him above our forward prospects who imo project more as second line players.

I

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree the problem is it appears team McGroarty might be conducting business like their value is higher.

What happens when the music stops and all your buddies are sitting in an NHL chair and you’re looking around and there’s no chairs left Rutger?

Honestly for all I know his plan might happily take that into account. It’s either NHL or Michigan and by the next TD maybe someone bites.
Ya musical chairs can be very dangerous.:naughty:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I certainly haven't. Everything seems almost entirely speculative.

The media talking heads seem to be flinging to see if anything sticks regarding trades.

Chevy is being Chevy for the most part, though if you accept what he said about leadership and players coming to summer camp that's about as much shade as Chevy has ever thrown. So he does seem angry with the situation.

I do agree with you that this seems remarkably uncharacteristic for the kid himself who we were all fawning over after last summer. Like many others have said, this seems more "agent-like" than Rutger actually saying stuff. From that perspective I do feel for the kid. If indeed he is driving it, well, that sympathy disappears from me.
He needs to get different representation and a spanking

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
He needs to get different representation and a spanking
f81298f193aa1021f077246bfcccdd2f.gif

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I question that rumour, that’s seems in the ballpark as an asking pricing. I mean you start higher than you really want knowing the other team will push the price down some.

Harris - Crap

Barron - Potential Pionk clone, maybe a bit better eventually as a potential but unproven

20+ 1st rd pick

Mesar - Top 9 potential forward (winger)

Rutger is easily the best piece out of all that, not even close. Quantity for quality type of deal, which can work out for the Jets if scouts get the guys they wanted from the Habs

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I've had Salomonssen as our top prospect for a bit now. I think he has top pairing RD upside which is why I put him above our forward prospects who imo project more as second line players.

I
Salomonsson also has a wide open path ahead of him. No young Jets to compete with. Very different scenario for Rutger.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Funny how when it sounds like he wants out he's just a "meh prospect!" 😆
Don't forget Murat telling us mcgroaty trade will happen before the draft. All nobodies pretending they know.
Sounded like he was all but traded to Minne, until their guy slid to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog and DRW204

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
How does playing for a Canadian team vs low tax USA team impact career earnings? Must equate to a few million dollaros in taxes.
I think if you don't need the money, you can defer a bunch of the tax until you withdraw the cash from a savings plan. Then you pay the going tax rate wherever you live (ie florida) and pay a 15% withholding tax in Canada. (and get a credit for the withholding tax paid in Canada on your US taxes).

I know enough about tax to be dangerous, but I've heard this employee deferral plan mentioned a fair bit in relation to athletes. It would have to be set up by the employer. I mean, even as I type this, it seems wrong. Maybe some young buck from KPMG on here can chime in.

Demanding powerplay time is wild
that's incredible.

(and wow, just had a flashback to a 70's tv show)

Reactions: Buffdog

han316

Feb 6, 2013
If these rumors about his demands for playing time are true and I'm very skeptical it is. But if they are, than this kid should get booed in every single arena he plays in. Self-entitlement should not be rewarded and his teammates should throw his clothes in the shower at every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad