Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
So apparently Rutger's father was a former minor pro and /or junior player, coach, scout and GM. I'm not saying he's the influence. Just surprised of the current happenings considering his father has hockey blood in him.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So apparently Rutger's father was a former minor pro and /or junior player, coach, scout and GM. I'm not saying he's the influence. Just surprised of the current happenings considering his father has hockey blood in him.

That's hilarious... he played in the Sunshine League. I hadn't thought of that league in probably 25 years. Had a couple of buddies play down there

It's crazy to me how much parents still meddle in their kids careers, even at higher levels. Of all the years my kids played sports (I figure they've been on around 80 teams total between hockey and summer sports), I've contacted coaches three times - and once was a time when a guy shortened his bench in a spring hockey tournament with 6 year olds lol

My daughter plays U Sport and the thought of me messaging the coach because I don't like her usagen is insane to me, but apparently it happens all the time. I was blown away when I found that out

Hopefully this isn't a case of dad living vicariously through his son. He could be poisoning a bunch of wells for his kid

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
That's hilarious... he played in the Sunshine League. I hadn't thought of that league in probably 25 years. Had a couple of buddies play down there

It's crazy to me how much parents still meddle in their kids careers, even at higher levels. Of all the years my kids played sports (I figure they've been on around 80 teams total between hockey and summer sports), I've contacted coaches three times - and once was a time when a guy shortened his bench in a spring hockey tournament with 6 year olds lol

My daughter plays U Sport and the thought of me messaging the coach because I don't like her usagen is insane to me, but apparently it happens all the time. I was blown away when I found that out

Hopefully this isn't a case of dad living vicariously through his son. He could be poisoning a bunch of wells for his kid
Laugh reacting at the ridiculousness of a coach shortening his bench in a game for six-year-olds, not at the ridiculousness of your opinion (for a change ;)) :sarcasm:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Laugh reacting at the ridiculousness of a coach shortening his bench in a game for six-year-olds, not at the ridiculousness of your opinion (for a change ;)) :sarcasm:
Don't worry, I'm used to my posts being ridiculed lol

The funniest thing about that story is that my son was one of the ones he sat (and we still lost). I was SO pissed that I couldn't sleep that night and I sent the (snarky) email at around 2:00am. He accused me of being an alcoholic because of it lol

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Don't worry, I'm used to my posts being ridiculed lol
I know, I’ve been watching the start of World War 3 between you and @WolfHouse over in the Stanley thread. Not sure if the mods have joined Chevy at the cottage or what :laugh:
The funniest thing about that story is that my son was one of the ones he sat (and we still lost). I was SO pissed that I couldn't sleep that night and I sent the (snarky) email at around 2:00am. He accused me of being an alcoholic because of it lol
I would’ve loved to have been a proverbial fly on the wall at that team’s bowling season windup party that year.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Even though both scenarios are not ideal, I'm wondering if Rutger's demand is to start in the NHL or if it's a guarentee that he doesn't get demoted to the AHL after given an opportunity from the onset. . If the Jets actually offered a guarenteed start in the NHL and he said no " that's not enough"..., that would be insane.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
it might be true.
but im not surprised WPG based reporters are going to painting the opposing party as the bad guy though. there's 3 sides to every story.

It's not like Sean Reynolds or Mike McIntyre are water carriers for TNSE. If it was someone like Toth talking about this stuff I'd take it more with a grain of salt but Reynolds has an adversarial relationship with TNSE and McIntyre is pretty down the middle traditional reporter so I am inclined to believe them.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I know, I’ve been watching the start of World War 3 between you and @WolfHouse over in the Stanley thread. Not sure if the mods have joined Chevy at the cottage or what :laugh:

I would’ve loved to have been a proverbial fly on the wall at that team’s bowling season windup party that year.
No bowling windups for losers lol... even at 6 years old

They had a great team. Four of those kids went on to have full WHL careers, and a couple more in the MJHL

But at the time, all the crazy parents would have told you that their kids were a lock to make the show

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Boo hoo. My friends drafted by bad teams get to have ice time guaranteed because they have bad rosters and just want to fill seats with young stars. But I’m drafted by a good team that is competing in the playoffs, so I actually have to work to squeeze my way in. Woe is me.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Murat also confirming that he's heard that atleast one team who was in to trade for him has been turned off by the NHL playing time demand

Ahhh seems like only last offseason that news 'leaked' about helles asking price being too high for teams. And no one biting on the price for scheif..

Weird how news leaks like that...

Reactions: Buffdog

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
What idiot team was put off by his demands? Why did they think we were trading him because we don’t like his choice of music? How could this be a surprise to them lol

• Haha
Reactions: wraithsonwings

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'd be surprised if mcGro doesn't have a two team trade list... anaheim or columbus to play with his buddies

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I think the Jets are using the same playbook as they used with Scheifele and Hellebuyck last year. Big speculation they wanted out and wouldn’t sign with the Jets. Chevy shops them around a bit, with a really high price tag. No one bites. Then Chevy goes back to them, tells them that the Jets value them a lot more than any other team does, bends a little bit and eventually signs them.

I could see a similar path with Rutger. Imagine Rutger hearing that the Wild would rather have Buium than him.

Buium is a blue chip prospect. Who wouldn't rather have him than McG?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I wonder if Columbus’s coaching search will have any impact on McGroarty’s trade talks. Sounds like it’s down to 2 candidates with LAK and CBJ not coming to an agreement on contract negotiations with McLellan. Once a head coach is hired, talks could pick up. Or alternatively, shut down completely.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
It’s really a page out of his USNDT teammate Cutter Gautier’s playbook. Flyer fans were furious with him for doing pretty much the exact same thing. Gauthier got his way and will be lacing up for Anaheim next season. So far it seems like Chevy is more patient and McGroarty is twiddling his thumbs for now.

That crop on that USNDT including Nazar and also McG’s Michigan teammate Brindley were all in a rush to play in the NHL right f***ing now.

As a Jets fan all I care about is getting the best deal we can and if that takes time then it’s an added bonus. I would prefer McG’s bluff be called and that he is forced to go back to Michigan for a season while all his buddies play in the NHL. Now I only want that if it helps our return. If the trade return value is too low then let him rot.

McG may be sharing Cutter Gauthier's playbook but he is no Cutter Gauthier. Gauthier was a 5th overall pick and a far superior prospect with more than twice the number of goals and a much better D+1 year than McG.

McG is a solid mid-1st rounder with a decent chance at a productive NHL career. It is unlikely that he is a superstar in waiting. And the truth is that prospects of McG's calibre have to earn their way into an NHL lineup, often via the AHL.

It's seems inconsistent that a guy so eager to make the NHL will have the patience to play two more years in college to qualify for free agency. Either the Jets will find some way for him to save face and report to camp or he'll be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad