Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I hope he comes to his senses , changes his representation and comes back to the Jets org with his tail tucked between his legs.

I will accept him back as a fan of he does so, he is still a young kid with lots of people in his ear about what is best for him. I don't agree with what he is doing but people, especially young people make mistakes. If he admits it was a mistake and comes back and does the right things, works hard and becomes a Jet, no bad blood for me.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This kid is really poisoning the well. The GM group is a small fraternity of mostly guys who battled to eke out careers with many falling short. Rutger’s sense of unearned entitlement will be rubbing many GMs the wrong way. Chevy will no doubt grind this down and come out with a decent return. But man I hope this kid’s career turns to shit.
there's players and people in this league that have done way worse than this that get chances, forgiven, welcomed back etc. he's doing nothing illegal or outside of the nhl rules. don't hate the player - hate the game (or system).

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
JMO, but if all Chevy wanted for Rutger were draft pick(s) he would have been traded already. But, I think Chevy wants an actual warm body. And yes, other teams are going to be reluctant to trade an actual player for someone who has never been in professional hockey.

My hope is that Chevy and Rutger can work something out, so one day we actually get to see if this guy can play or not and for the Jets, and not some other team. Sign a contract, come to camp, you will get an opportunity to make the team, and if not you play for the Moose for a year. It's not the end of the world.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Chevy needs to trade some of his LW surplus anyways. Might as well start with McGroarty.

I think the fact that we have a surplus allows Chevy to accept a trade focused on futures if that's the best value offer that he gets. I agree that he'd rather get an asset that is more ready, I just don't think it's a requirement.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
there's players and people in this league that have done way worse than this that get chances, forgiven, welcomed back etc. he's doing nothing illegal or outside of the nhl rules. don't hate the player - hate the game (or system).
Everyone on here hates on players for various reasons. Unearned entitlement is my line. Choose your own line and don’t worry about mine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Ehlers and McGroarty situations might be linked. I expect that if they trade both, they'll want a mix of futures and a strong roster player if they trade both. If they trade only McGroarty, I think an equivalent prospect / pick return would be fine. If they trade Ehlers, they'd likely need to get a roster player to supplement the current roster.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Everyone on here hates on players for various reasons. Unearned entitlement is my line. Choose your own line and don’t worry about mine.
Has nothing to do with your line, but the NHL's given how they've reacted with individuals who actually have done bad or illegal things, and outside the rules. Which at this point, Rutger has not.

May not want to post about your line or whatever on a public forum since you're so sensitive to comments. I actually agree with unearned entitlement (see post#1531) but at the end of the day ppl who have done way worse things still get drafted or work in the league, so w/e our individual line is, doesn't matter.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think we should be a bit cautious about claims about McGroarty's attitude. The Jets and other teams might be frustrated that he'd prefer to play in the NCAA than in the AHL, particularly because of the clock ticking towards UFA status. But he can make more money in the NCAA and being captain of a top NCAA team is a good gig. It's also not a terrible development situation. Drafted players often opt to stay in Europe or Russia rather than playing in the AHL, and I don't see that as very different.

Of course it's frustrating for the Jets because they wanted him signed so they could get him into the system, and naturally other teams are going to be reluctant to make a big trade offer if he's saying he'll return to the NCAA next season rather than the AHL.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think we should be a bit cautious about claims about McGroarty's attitude. The Jets and other teams might be frustrated that he'd prefer to play in the NCAA than in the AHL, particularly because of the clock ticking towards UFA status. But he can make more money in the NCAA and being captain of a top NCAA team is a good gig. It's also not a terrible development situation. Drafted players often opt to stay in Europe or Russia rather than playing in the AHL, and I don't see that as very different.

Of course it's frustrating for the Jets because they wanted him signed so they could get him into the system, and naturally other teams are going to be reluctant to make a big trade offer if he's saying he'll return to the NCAA next season rather than the AHL.
How does he make money playing college hockey??

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
You can look up NIL valuations. NIL stands for Name, Image and Likeness. Players can NOW receive money, while playing college sports, for product endorsement, TV commercials, branded ads on social media, college boosters can also give money to players if they want. All of these were violations before the supreme court passed this change (in 2021, effective for 2022 I think....but don't hold me to that).

In 2023, top few were:

1. Shedeur Sanders - $4.5 million (Football - Colorado)
2. Livvy Dunne - $3.9 million (Gymnastics - LSU)
3. Arch Manning - $2.8 million (Football - Texas)
4. Travis Hunter - $2.7 million (Football - Colorado)
5. Quinn Ewers - $1.9 million (Football - Texas)

10 Cooper Flagg - $1.4 million (Basketball - Duke) (Top basketball player)

No hockey player received over $1,000,000 in *reported* compensation

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You can look up NIL valuations. NIL stands for Name, Image and Likeness. Players can NOW receive money, while playing college sports, for product endorsement, TV commercials, branded ads on social media, college boosters can also give money to players if they want. All of these were violations before the supreme court passed this change (in 2021, effective for 2022 I think....but don't hold me to that).

In 2023, top few were:

illegal-curve on their June 22nd show mentioned probably 6 figures playing college hockey. 0 idea where they got this info from or if they're just shooting random numbers. 12:45 mins in

Reactions: Cypruss

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
NCAA athletes are now allowed to profit from their "brand". Maybe he's cooking up a McGroarty app or signing pucks for cash? I imagine a top Michigan hockey player could make something...a few hundred maybe from local sponsorships? Free supply of Absopure water?

Some schools are talking about paying their athletes minimum wage. $10.33/hr is the Michigan state minimum wage. So that would only take 9196.5 hours (4.4 years working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week) to make up the $95K max ELC signing bonus...

Reactions: hockeyarena

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think the Ehlers and McGroarty situations might be linked. I expect that if they trade both, they'll want a mix of futures and a strong roster player if they trade both. If they trade only McGroarty, I think an equivalent prospect / pick return would be fine. If they trade Ehlers, they'd likely need to get a roster player to supplement the current roster.
I've mentioned something similar as well. But I don't necessarily think if they do indeed end up trading both that they can't trade them both for futures. The key is that in another deal or deals, they can use their own futures (parts of what we already had and/or parts of what comes back in the two trades) to get a roster player or two.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

In 2023, top few were:

Those are just estimates, I think... https://www.on3.com/nil/news/about-on3-nil-valuation-per-post-value/

Not even sure anyone bothers with NCAA hockey valuations. 6 figures is probably pushing it. In terms of viewership popularity, hockey's in the same range as Div II basketball, lacrosse and women's volleyball championships (2023 numbers below).

topncaa.jpg

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Those are just estimates, I think... https://www.on3.com/nil/news/about-on3-nil-valuation-per-post-value/

Not even sure anyone bothers with NCAA hockey valuations. 6 figures is probably pushing it. In terms of viewership popularity, hockey's in the same range as Div II basketball, lacrosse and women's volleyball championships (2023 numbers below).

topncaa.jpg

This is my understanding as well. From what I have heard NCAA hockey players can get stuff like free hotel rooms, free lunches, free 6 month supply of protein powder by selling their "likeness" (posting IG ads and such) but I don't think it comes close to an NHL ELC signing bonus let alone the full NHL pay even on an ELC let alone a 2nd contract.

Reactions: Gm0ney

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If he is an NHL player, he's going to make tens of Millions in his playing career. I have a hard time believing he's willing to hold out a year cause he might make 50k more. That's ridiculous. I feel this is only 10% of the story, there must be more to it.
it's not nhl vs NCAA for next year, it's ahl vs ncaa.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He was born March 2004. He’s going to be ufa in 2031. He will be 27 in 2031 and should have the required 4 accrued seasons by then. So ahl, NCAA or nhl this upcoming season won’t change that.

Just a matter of which roster he should be on this upcoming season. Has he done as much as he can in the NCAA where another season there won’t improve his game or does he need to take on the challenge of playing against the A? And for his skill development, skating as an issue so does he get better at that in the ncaa or ahl?

Doesn’t sound like he’d walk right into the nhl right now and stick for the whole season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
it's not nhl vs NCAA for next year, it's ahl vs ncaa.
Still, he'd get a $95,000 signing bonus, plus if he hadn't been an ass about everything, I'm sure Chevy could've at least guaranteed him a 10 game shot in the upcoming season in the NHL and that's worth another $250,000 bonus (and a couple of weeks of NHL salary), plus the AHL salary of $95,000 or whatever. So ~$450K. And he would've had an extra $95,000 bonus if he'd signed June 30th and burned a year of ELC too.

He must really have his heart set on picking his landing spot. Well, 25 months to go if he's really set on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad