Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen re-signs with the Sabres (5 years, $4.75M AAV)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
So when Levi turns into what Sabres fans expect, Buffalo will pay like ~15 mil for their goaltending?
If Levi is worth 10 million dollars - that means he is one of the best goalies in the NHL and UPL will be traded. Not that hard to figure out.

More likely Levi signs a bridge deal 2-3 years next season for 3-4 million or so. So spending less than 10 total for most of UPL’s contract until one of them comes out as the winner of the net.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I like the kid.

We've seen how guys like Lehner and Ullmark have performed after leaving Buffalo, and he seems to be on a similar trajectory. With the cap rising, is $4.75 even really starter money anyways?

I really don't see him being the next Cal Petersen. But, I guess you never know.

Goalies are difficult from a cap perspective because there’s a big difference between paying a starter and a backup. There’s only 5 active goalies making over a 6 million cap hit this season, and 16 at 5 or more, so I’d say anywhere in the 4.5-6 range is pretty much starter level. Saros will go up after this year, but he also has a long track record. I think the idea that he’d make a lot more if they waited isn’t nearly as likely as with a skater. The only way this saves significant money is if he becomes a franchise type starter like Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Saros, etc.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
So when Levi turns into what Sabres fans expect, Buffalo will pay like ~15 mil for their goaltending?

If Levi turns into Swayman (or even Swayman lite), UPLs last two years will be on a different team methinks.

But the next three years (including this one) Levi is gonna be cheap cheap cheap, I can see him doing a 2 year contract when he is resigned.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
If Levi is worth 10 million dollars - that means he is one of the best goalies in the NHL and UPL will be traded. Not that hard to figure out.

More likely Levi signs a bridge deal 2-3 years next season for 3-4 million or so. So spending less than 10 total for most of UPL’s contract until one of them comes out as the winner of the net.

You can win the stanley cup with 15M$ in goalies with 4.5M$ playing AHL

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Totally man! Imagine what the red wings would have to pay a decent goalie after they paid ville husso 4.75 mil. I’d hate to be in that situation with that valuation

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The Sabres are in a prime position with this contract. UPL is the real deal. Levi has a yr or 2 to go to be in this position if, if he turns out to be consistent on the larger stage.

For all of the grief Adams takes as GM, the no playoffs, trading the 1st rebuild superstars that go on to win cups, one thing he has managed to do is to strike fear in to other up coming teams via his net minding juggling. If you don't think teams like Detriot, Carolina, Florida aren't paying attention, that's just foolish. Buffalos goaltending has arrived.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Wasn't Sabers GM Kevin Adams the Assistant GM for the Pens when Jarry got that 5 year deal? Jarry contract was a mistake and so is this one. For people saying this contract can be traded a couple years down the road if it doesn't work out, the answer to that is no! UPL looks like he's an up and coming goalie, but to give him a 5 year contract to be the #1 goalie based off of 1 good season is just dumb. Levi is the Sabers long term #1 goalie plan and UPL shouldn't have received no more than a 3 year deal.

Definite over payment and 2 years too long on the contract.
lol that you think Kevyn Adams had any front office experience at all before becoming GM of the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad