Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The whole thing is weird.

Look, I get Winnipeg isn't where he wanted to get drafted. That's ok. But part of life growing up is paying your dues. There are much, much worse fates than being tied to Winnipeg for 7-9 years and pocketing roughly 25 million or more dollars. You do well, you'll get your payday coming out of your ELC because that's how it rolls now and you set yourself up for UFA for another big payday. You retire at 35 or so with a legacy and $50-100 million dollars in career earnings if you're as good as you think.

Instead he's throwing shade at a team in the league that employs 25 other guys and is known to be a pretty caring organization because he saw his buddies get to play right away. Except his buddies went to crap teams and it seems somewhat likely one or more of them may get tired of losing faster than they think and all that losing may actually hamper their development. Certainly the Jets stunk out the playoffs but they were a fourth overall team in the league. So to expect to step into a starting lineup, likely desired to be top six, at that age, requires considerable, um, testicular fortitude and belief in yourself (likely unwarranted as yet). Ego is fine. Unchecked ego is less so.

Instead, you decide to play hardball, either on your own decision or on the advice of your circle because you think you're better than Winnipeg. Well good for you son. The problem being you did a couple of things that likely weren't considered:

1. your reputation as a team guy went downhill considerably. This is classic "I'm more important than the team". Now, if you're really THAT good, that will be forgotten promptly in your new market. But as it stands now you went from saying all the right things, performing super well at world juniors and being viewed as a future captain to being viewed, rightly or wrongly, as a toxic personality that presents a high risk. The mercenary types won't care, they never have. Others will.

2. For the reasons in point 1 you sullied your own value on the trade market. That's never smart. True, the Jets/Chevy hang onto people much longer than those people want to be hung on to, but jeez, don't those millions buy a little patience from you too? Roll in, sit down with Chevy, say I've changed my mind and I'm never going to sign any UFA years here ever so at the earliest opportunity trade me. Yes, Chevy will consume your early value and you'll be stuck in Winnipeg but you'll probably survive, may even thrive or *gasp* find out it isn't actually hell on earth.

3. For the reasons in point 2, you tangled with the wrong GM most likely. Love or hate Chevy one thing he seems to do exceedingly well is wait. Too well in some instances, but those other instances don't concern you. He also seems to win when his back is pressed against the wall. Weird, but it seems that way. So yeah, you've got two years to wait it out but you're losing money that whole time. And while you're doing that you're at risk of a catastrophic injury. I expect your agent and your family likely have insurance against that, but it will never pay what a full NHL career would have.

Really is a baffling situation. Would love to have had the kid here for his career and the fans would have loved him back. Said all the right things, showed all the right character. Boom, changes.
this doesn't appear to be about playing in winnipeg, mcintyre was just on wst saying he heard that it's not just the jets having problems with mcgroaty some of the potential suitors as well over his demands, he went on to say he heard that they were close to a trade on the weekend and the deal didn't happen because of said reason

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
this doesn't appear to be about playing in winnipeg, mcintyre was just on wst saying he heard that it's not just the jets having problems with mcgroaty some of the potential suitors as well over his demands, he went on to say he heard that they were close to a trade on the weekend and the deal didn't happen because of said reason
OK, noted. To me that just makes it weirder.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If he wants to be a UFA, he just has to wait 25 months and then he can sign his 2-year ELC with whoever he wants to. I'd sure be tempted to call his bluff here.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Wonderful. Now this clown shoe is torpedoing his trade value with his unrealistic entitled demands. Thanks Rutger!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

His demands.... wow. Like he's rated as a V good prospect but guy's acting like he's Bedard or some shit.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Chibs is my darkhorse "upcoming favorite player to be" for quite a while now
I had him as my #2 prospect in the 2023 HFboards prospect ranking. I was a fringe minority (common for me) at that time - but people are now seeing the light on my previously unpopular thoughts (also common for me).

Reactions: roccerfeller

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If he wants to be a UFA, he just has to wait 25 months and then he can sign his 2-year ELC with whoever he wants to. I'd sure be tempted to call his bluff here.
So, Rutger's birthday is March 30 2004

A player hits UFA after 7 seasons in the NHL OR after 27

So... if Rutger refuses to sign here and can sign an ELC anywhere in 2 years, he'll be 22. When he does that, he'll have 3 years of ELC and 2 years of RFA vs 3 years ELC and 4 years RFA if he turns pro now

So speaking specifically about earning potential, he's losing two years of RFA bridge deal money minus what he wouldn't be earning on his ELC if he were at the Moose

Of course it's not that simple because some contracts span both RFA and UFA years. I wonder how much financially it would actually cost him to play out his NCAA years

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Wonderful. Now this clown shoe is torpedoing his trade value with his unrealistic entitled demands. Thanks Rutger!
I think the kid is torpedoing his career and earning potential. Either his head got really big after the whirlwind dev camp last year along with his good year last year and he's walking around with a rooster ego or he is getting legendary bad advice from his advisors or parents.

Since he's not part of the NHLPA yet the league should make an example of this situation if he is indeed kyboshing deals. If the team that drafted him cannot sign him and he's tanking other trades...Ban him from signing for 4 years. Follow that up with a rule change, NCAA kids can turn down an ELC offer with their drafting team, but then they will have to wait a full 4 years from date of the ELC refusal before being able to sign with a team...I'd call it "The Shit Or Get Off The Pot" clause.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You have to wonder about the value of advice "to put their own interests first" like this. Is it really in the kid's best interests? Is it of more interest to the agent?

The player's relationship to the team that drafted him has to have some value, as does his reputation for character in the rest of the league. Both have been damaged. Might he actually take longer getting to the NHL as a result of this move?

If he is as good and as ready as he appears to think he is, he might have won a spot on the Jets roster this year. Instead he might spend another year in NCAA. Then, who knows how it might play out next off-season.

I still expect some rebuilding team that can promise him a spot to make Chevy a good offer soon. But again, who knows?

OK, noted. To me that just makes it weirder.

It’s really a page out of his USNDT teammate Cutter Gautier’s playbook. Flyer fans were furious with him for doing pretty much the exact same thing. Gauthier got his way and will be lacing up for Anaheim next season. So far it seems like Chevy is more patient and McGroarty is twiddling his thumbs for now.

That crop on that USNDT including Nazar and also McG’s Michigan teammate Brindley were all in a rush to play in the NHL right f***ing now.

As a Jets fan all I care about is getting the best deal we can and if that takes time then it’s an added bonus. I would prefer McG’s bluff be called and that he is forced to go back to Michigan for a season while all his buddies play in the NHL. Now I only want that if it helps our return. If the trade return value is too low then let him rot.

Last edited:

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
if it is just him getting some bad advice maybe he changes his stance after having multiple teams telling him the same thing, if the info we have is correct
I think he has definitely gotten some bad advice but by the sounds of it he has a specific market or two that he want's to play in. I agree with @ps241 now call his bluff and try to get the best return next year. Just a reminder never take heed what a draft pick says and that includes all the picks from this year draft

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So... if Rutger refuses to sign here and can sign an ELC anywhere in 2 years, he'll be 22. When he does that, he'll have 3 years of ELC and 2 years of RFA vs 3 years ELC and 4 years RFA if he turns pro now

So speaking specifically about earning potential, he's losing two years of RFA bridge deal money minus what he wouldn't be earning on his ELC if he were at the Moose

Of course it's not that simple because some contracts span both RFA and UFA years. I wonder how much financially it would actually cost him to play out his NCAA years
I think his ELC goes down to 2 years if he signs at 22.

Reactions: Buffdog

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
45th overall pick is not a bad return all things considered. Chevy should move on from this set aside this trade and focus on other important things like signing Cole, Ehlers and building that new deck at the lake.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
With everything we're hearing about Rutger's attitude lately, it seems Chevy's comments about Lambert's leadership qualities were more than just a mild 'f*** you' to Rutger, they were a veiled message to the entire league that Rutger McGroarty is a jackass and not fit for a leadership role. It was his to lose and clearly there is now a massive void where it used to be. I think this is the most candid that we'll ever see Chevy, and probably the most vocal about his anger. He has laid down the law and likely destroyed Rutger's chances of seeing any NHL action on any NHL team this year. It's up to Rutger to show some humility and make teams want to take the gamble on him, and quite frankly I don't think he has it in him at this point.

"It says a lot about a player like Brad Lambert who doesn’t have to come (to development camp) but wants to come here and be a part of it and take on that leadership role,” Cheveldayoff said."

Jets' Cheveldayoff sings Lambert's praises, fires subtle shot at McGroarty

The month after the two were drafted, I never would've believed that Rutger would be the problem child, and that Lambert (who so many called into question for being arrogant, and having awful guidance) is now the beacon of light, patience, perseverance and leadership. What a change. Even if Rutger signed his ELC, attended camp and outperformed Lambert at this point, I have to think that Chevy would pick Lambert for NHL ice time first just to send a message to the locker room and all prospects. Make no mistake, Lambert is a prospect trending in the right direction, and Rutger is doing everything he can to sabotage himself. We already know who will land in the NHL first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad