Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I just think he doesn't want to be a Winnipeg Jet, all he has to do is come to camp and earn a spot in our lineup which i think he can do with the amount of spots that will probably be open. But it sounds like he wants a guarantee to have a spot before he even puts a practice jersey on and i am sorry it doesn't and shouldn't work that way. Now I'm off to play some Donkey Kong .:laugh:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Tbh, we were fine dressing Lambert and Chib who deserved it, sure, but If your first target is to win the game in order to get home ice - why are you doing it? Because you want to show those kids some love.
Gm 82 was meaningless, so they called up Lambo and Chib.

McGroarty committed to Michigan before we clinched home ice, as I understand it.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Tbh, we were fine dressing Lambert and Chib who deserved it, sure, but If your first target is to win the game in order to get home ice - why are you doing it? Because you want to show those kids some love.

Why did the "showing some love" part ended there? It was okay to show it to those two but one more can't be done?

It's funny because I am sure they did it in some ways because they thought it will look good to our other prospects as well when it might have soured their arguably #1 prospect.

(Not saying I agree with McG personally, just reflecting)
what? we wouldn't have dressed either chib/lambert if that last game mattered either.. they didn't know at the time they were talking with mcgroarty that they would have been able to give him a game so they didn't guarantee him one.

it's funny how tkachuk after winning the stanley cup talked about how having home ice and less travel really mattered and how it effected them last season against vegas, but I guess who cares about that, lets show the kids some love!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If its the case that he wanted a guaranteed game last season, I wonder how the convo went

Was Chevy like "well, we can try to squeeze you into one if we lock down 2nd place, but no guarantees and come to camp ready to challenge for a job" and that wasn't OK with Rutger?

Or was chevy more along the lines of "no, we aren't doing that this season. We have our team"?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
If its the case that he wanted a guaranteed game last season, I wonder how the convo went

Was Chevy like "well, we can try to squeeze you into one if we lock down 2nd place, but no guarantees and come to camp ready to challenge for a job" and that wasn't OK with Rutger?

Or was chevy more along the lines of "no, we aren't doing that this season. We have our team"?
well chib/lambert got into the last game so it probably went like
"right now we can't make any promises that you are going to get a game since were in a battle for home ice in the playoffs"

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net

It just takes 1 gm to screw the rest of the league. I remember when seattle gave matty beniers a 10th game in his first season. I remember being so confused as to why they would burn a year of elc and now it's all but common place for these college kids to demand u burn their elc.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Personally I’d have him around 7 or 8

I think I'd have it.

1. Slaf
2. Cooley
3. Nemec
4. Yurov
5. Gauthier
6. Mintyukov
7. Poitras
8. Korchinski
9. Wright
10. Jiricek
11. Savoie
12. Lambert
13. McGroarty

I'd probably have him in a cluster around 9-13 right now. Way to early to tell but I think he's probably right around where he was drafted. That draft is looking a little deeper than it first appeared. We got 4 really good prospects out of it.

Tough to really see what he's going to do until he gets a taste of pro.

Reactions: ps241

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
When a prospect is asked how they see their development path, you often get the " I will do whatever the team think is best for me"

In Rutger's case, it sounds like he doesn't trust the Jets to do exactly that. Either that or he's manufacturing a "reason" for leaving because he has no interest playing in Winnipeg.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I vaguely remember when it came out C Gaithier was being traded that he basically was done with the team when they didn't sign him the year before.

Things seemed solid with Rutger but I'm guessing the club not burning a year off his ELC was where this turned south.

Don't know the CBA that well. I don't think he would have even needed to have played a game, would he? As long as he signed he would have burned a year? I could be completely wrong.

Reactions: ps241

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I vaguely remember when it came out C Gaithier was being traded that he basically was done with the team when they didn't sign him the year before.

Things seemed solid with Rutger but I'm guessing the club not burning a year off his ELC was where this turned south.

Don't know the CBA that well. I don't think he would have even needed to have played a game, would he? As long as he signed he would have burned a year? I could be completely wrong.
jets were willing to sign him, just not willing to promise him playing time

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
jets were willing to sign him, just not willing to promise him playing time
Is that part confirmed?

To be more specific, were they willing to sign him AND burn a year even if he wasnt playing? If that's even possible...

Or were they willing to sign him this summer?

Could have been two different conversations. Potentially.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Is that part confirmed?

To be more specific, were they willing to sign him AND burn a year even if he wasnt playing? If that's even possible...

Or were they willing to sign him this summer?

Could have been two different conversations. Potentially.
"Winnipeg wanted to sign McGroarty to a professional contract in April but was unwilling to promise a path to playing time."

from murat's article

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
"Winnipeg wanted to sign McGroarty to a professional contract in April but was unwilling to promise a path to playing time."

from murat's article

Yeah which is such a weird hangup that it makes me think something else is brewing.

Like nearly every single prospect either makes the team or doesn't. Absolutely no one is gifted a spot simply for signing.

Some may be rushed into the NHL to early because a team is to weak to fill that spot with someone else. But I've never heard of a team saying yep we'll give you a spot no matter what.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah which is such a weird hangup that it makes me think something else is brewing.

Like nearly every single prospect either makes the team or doesn't. Absolutely no one is gifted a spot simply for signing.

Some may be rushed into the NHL to early because a team is to weak to fill that spot with someone else. But I've never heard of a team saying yep we'll give you a spot no matter what.
I think it's just as simple as him seeing all his teammates/friends making their debuts on other teams and he feels he should be doing the same without looking at where those other teams were in the standings

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Using Perfetti as the reason why he doesn't trust Jets management and coaches to do what's right with his development is a bit weak IMO.

The Jets rolled into the playoffs with Connor, Ehlers, Nino, and Gus on LW and Vilardi, Tofolli, Appleton, and Iafallo on RW. Perfetti wasn't going to play on the 4th line, and really only could bump Gus who was seen as a strong defensive player, and decent PK'er option.

The AJF decision in game 4 was the only mis-step lineup wise and I'm sure Bones and Arniel recognize that and if they could have a mulligan on that decision, they would have gotten Cole in a game earlier. That said, its one game.

I see Cole having a big year this year cementing his spot in the top 6 and in the playoff lineup. That's a pretty good development path to me.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Using Perfetti as the reason why he doesn't trust Jets management and coaches to do what's right with his development is a bit weak IMO.

The Jets rolled into the playoffs with Connor, Ehlers, Nino, and Gus on LW and Vilardi, Tofolli, Appleton, and Iafallo on RW. Perfetti wasn't going to play on the 4th line, and really only could bump Gus who was seen as a strong defensive player, and decent PK'er option.

The AJF decision in game 4 was the only mis-step lineup wise and I'm sure Bones and Arniel recognize that and if they could have a mulligan on that decision, they would have gotten Cole in a game earlier. That said, its one game.

I see Cole having a big year this year cementing his spot in the top 6 and in the playoff lineup. That's a pretty good development path to me.
I actually think the bolded is a big part of the problem.

For an offensive minded forward there are basically only 2 lines that they can play on: line 1 or 2. The Lowry line is line 3 and is given tough matchups as a defensive line, can't start there. The 4th line is seen as a special teams line with guys who play PK and play defensively, can't start there.

Leaves very little room for development and is part of the reason I think we only ever develop very top end prospects well who can go straight to those top 2 lines.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

it was said rutger had problems not getting into the lineup last season and for this upcoming year, by lineup i am assuming top-6/9.

atm the Jets have every top-9 Winger that started 2023 still under contract.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Do you put him in over Lambert & Chibrikov who played well with the Moose all year and deserved the game more than him? Still reeks of entitlement to me.
In the lineup? I have no idea as they could play different roles.... But I think both Lambert and Chibrikov have be given an NHL game? I would have done the same for Rutger, but I would not guaranteed a spot in the lineup.

If this started with the Jets not signing him last year and getting him into a game to start his ELC clock it is one of the dumbest management decisions the Jets have ever made IMHO. Give the kid a fricken game and get him into the organization instead of just trying to keep him for an extra year at a cheap price! Do that with later round guys if you want but not your top prospects!!

Reactions: rkp

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
In the lineup? I have no idea as they could play different roles.... But I think both Lambert and Chibrikov have be given an NHL game? I would have done the same for Rutger, but I would not guaranteed a spot in the lineup.

If this started with the Jets not signing him last year and getting him into a game to start his ELC clock it is one of the dumbest management decisions the Jets have ever made IMHO. Give the kid a fricken game and get him into the organization instead of just trying to keep him for an extra year at a cheap price! Do that with later round guys if you want but not your top prospects!!
they didn't promise him a game because they were fighting for home ice... they didn't do it to get an extra year at a cheap price

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Yeah it's such a weird thing. Like wow Cutter played 1 game. Whoopie doo.
it's huge to the player and lets be honest the agent. It means Cutter's making millions more dollars in his career because he's getting those contracts a year earlier. Would love to see all gm's refuse to give a 10th game and watch these college kids drop in the draft if they're going to try and pull this stunt. Draft Canadians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad