Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
They offered a 1 year deal. It's called a qualifying offer.

KK could have accepted it and earned his Arb rights.
A qualifying offer at just over a million isn't an honest contract offer for a player that produced like KK. If the wild were to offer a legit 1 year contract I'm sure KK would accept because he can then go into arb. and help his own case. If the offers are a $1million QO or a 5+ year deal - its tough to see the 2 sided finding any common ground.

Reactions: kp61c

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The length of time necessary is negotiated upon by the team and the player. If he doesn't want to play for the Wild beyond three years, he should have accepted his qualifying offer. At this point, he is free to go back to Russia or any other league in Europe if he doesn't want to play ball with the Wild. He can either come back next year and agree to a contract that works for the Wild, or he can stay there for three years.

You're conflating how you think it should work with how it actually works. Had the Wild broken any rules, we would have heard about it by now.

How is this? I don't think anyone broke rules but there's a lot of distain for a player that hasn't really done anything besides let the team know he wants to make it to free agency as soon as possible.

Reactions: kp61c

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
A qualifying offer at just over a million isn't an honest contract offer for a player that produced like KK. If the wild were to offer a legit 1 year contract I'm sure KK would accept because he can then go into arb. and help his own case. If the offers are a $1million QO or a 5+ year deal - its tough to see the 2 sided finding any common ground.

But why should the Wild do all the bending? Is their leverage and interests of no concern?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kaprizov has had two opportunities in the last year or so to claim the arbitration rights that would solve these hypothetical problems for him.

1 - When he signed his ELC and elected to burn the 1st year. If he had signed for 2 years he'd have his arbitration rights when that contract would have expired next summer

2 - When he passed on this QO, which would have effectively been a redo of #1.

So that's twice that he's had a choice between pushing his way to UFA ASAP and not selling off more UFA years than necessary, or getting a raise this summer instead of next summer. In both cases he's chosen the latter.

Like at some point this all just seems like Kaprizov trying to make up for "lost wages" from staying in the KHL for so long, which again was his choice. Why the team is suddenly obligated to help him out with that is a question that no one's stepped up to answer yet.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
How is this? I don't think anyone broke rules but there's a lot of distain for a player that hasn't really done anything besides let the team know he wants to make it to free agency as soon as possible.

It's not disdain, he's just not getting the benefit of the doubt or any sympathy for the fact that the team isn't caving to his demands.

He put himself in this situation where his only options are to work with the team to reach a deal, accept his QO, or go back to Russia. You can't expect the Wild to give him leverage he hasn't earned.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The Wild are well within their right to only offer 5+ year contracts. There is no rule that says the team has to offer him a 3 yr contract because KK is due to be a UFA in 3 yrs.
They are well within their rights to offer anything from 1-8 years, but once it has been identified that the player wants short term (3 years or less) the team needs to respect that they don't own the player and he wants to have some career control. I would rather have 3 years to negotiate an extension or a trade to maximize assets than let an asset sit or go to another league as so many people have suggested on this forum.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Sure it is.

The CBA offers every single player in the league the ability to hit UFA at 27. They can do it without having a single negotiation with the GM by using qualifying offers and the Arb system.

The trade off is you don't get to make as much money as you could.

Now that he declined his qualifying offer without Arb rights he's at the mercy of what the Wild are willing to pay for his services over what time period. Lucky for him, the Wild are willing to pay alot for those services. Unlucky for him that they want some term with it.

Thems the breaks.

If he doesn't like it, he can spend the season in the KHL and accept his QO next year in order to get his Arb rights.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They are well within their rights to offer anything from 1-8 years, but once it has been identified that the player wants short term (3 years or less) the team needs to respect that they don't own the player and he wants to have some career control. I would rather have 3 years to negotiate an extension or a trade to maximize assets than let an asset sit or go to another league as so many people have suggested on this forum.

That's the part where you're conflating how it actually works with how you think it should work. They don't need to do that at all.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota

So the Wild are supposed to RESPECT KK wishes for a 3 yr contract at the AAV KK wants but in no way does KK and his agent have to respect the Wild's desire for a contract longer than 3 yrs (buying a couple of his UFA years)? You folks are hilarious on how 1-sided the negotiations are for how the Wild are supposed to bend over backwards and just give whatever KK wants. That's not how negotiations work...sorry about that!

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland

The team doesn’t have to respect anything. That’s just silly. 3 years is almost the worst case scenario for the Wild since they can’t really take part in the bidding war with that 15 million in dead cap that doesn’t expire until a year later.

Bridge deal that takes him straight to UFA for trade purposes feels suspect as well as it limits trading partners somewhat.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021

My gosh give it up. It's how in works in sports. You don't like it, take it up with owners. Kaprizov isn't entitled to anything and team isn't. You are so blind to that

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Never said it the way you are claiming, go back and ready my post again.....but much slower this time. You keep claiming that the Wild are somehow negotiating in a poor way. But they are the ones offering huge money aka Brinks truck....so how are the Wild in the wrong here by trying to make him wealthy? YWIA
Show me where I said the Wild are negotiating in a poor way.

I bet you find several posts of me saying the opposite.

Stop lying.

Last edited:

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
But there are mechanisms in the CBA that protect the Wild. I never said anything about just giving a player everything they want. Use the same document (the CBA) that KK is using to get to free agency as soon as possible. If KK isn't happy with the offer he knows he's only 3 seasons away from getting to make his own choices. Again this seems like emotions from a fan base, not wrong doing by the agent or the player.

Not happy with offer? 9-9.5 for 5-6 years is doing kaprizov wrong? There is zero rules which states Minnesota needs to give kaprizov 3 years. Again you are failing to comprehend, or comes to grips with it's a two way street. Minnesota isn't doing anything wrong using their leverage

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There's lots of unsigned RFAs. KK is just one of many.

It's no big deal. There's still plenty of time for a deal to be made, and there's no reason to think there won't be one.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
You literally from page 1 it seems have been in here making crap up, attacking the wild, saying wild aren't being fair, etc.. dude how are you not seeing this?
You literally from page 1 it seems have been in here making crap up, attacking Kaprizov, saying wild are being fair, etc.. dude how are you not seeing this?

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
9,5? I thought it was 8 x $9M. Maybe Kaprizov thinks that he will command 7 x $11M in three years. Having complete control over where to play should not be underestimated either. 8 x $9M looks like the team will use all his prime years and then discard him like an old boot. In this light, 8 x $9M suddenly doesn't seem so tempting.

If he had left for the NHL earlier they whould have buried him in the AHL and shipped a certified bust back to Russia. It was a boon for the team that he decided to stay and develop in Russia. The Wild should give him a bonus or something because of it, not punish him.

Starting to think you’re related to Kaprizov or something. Give him a bonus for staying in Russia and also gift him a deal walking him to UFA :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
My proof is common sense. What's your proof? Russo's leaks?
You've shown time and time again that that is non existent when you post. Please provide a source of some kind.

Russo has reported that short term counter offers have had "ridiculous" AAV attached to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad