Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
What term gets KK to 9 per? 5 years?
Yes. I can't see Guerin caving and giving him 3 years but if he does it's 6 or 6.5M. 3 x 7M is what Barzal and Point and players who have done more have got. So even at that amount a 5 x 9M would be buying two UFA years at 12M. It's pretty absurd that he hasn't signed yet

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes. I can't see Guerin caving and giving him 3 years but if he does it's 6 or 6.5M. 3 x 7M is what Barzal and Point and players who have done more have got. So even at that amount a 5 x 9M would be buying two UFA years at 12M. It's pretty absurd that he hasn't signed yet
So the disagreement (sticking point) is the term? Maybe KK will only sign for three years? Maybe the Wild aren’t offering less than five years?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
How is ot absurd? He doesn't want to be in Minny for more than 3 years, who would anyways?!?

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
That’s not a compromise on his part. He’s offering something that’s less valuable to the buyer so the price comes down.
It's a compromise on his part because he gets much less money. And the money is as valuable to Kaprizov as the term to the team. Hence compromise. You are speaking about ultimatums.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
what has Kaprizov given up? Even rumored to have given up? given up as in compromise. oh that's right, nothing at all. we've been over this before and someone was laughing about the original 8 year $9m contract being a joke or empty gesture or whatever because they knew he wasn't going to take it. how would they know that? It's a really unprecedented offer for someone with 55 NHL games and a risk, and serious investment considering our dead cap years coming up. Hardly a joke. Meanwhile, Kaprizov's contribution to compromise has been what?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
what has Kaprizov given up? Even rumored to have given up? given up as in compromise. oh that's right, nothing at all. we've been over this before and someone was laughing about the original 8 year $9m contract being a joke or empty gesture or whatever because they knew he wasn't going to take it. how would they know that? It's a really unprecedented offer for someone with 55 NHL games and a risk, and serious investment considering our dead cap years coming up. Hardly a joke. Meanwhile, Kaprizov's contribution to compromise has been what?

I don't understand the logic of Wild fans.
So because he has rejected an 8 year deal, he should now have to give UFA years to meet in the middle? Why?

At the end of the day both parties have to be able to live with the results of those negotiations. Both sides need a somewhat amicable solution. Especially considering that an unhappy player that feels that he got bent over and starts resenting the organisation is usually not something you want in any lockerroom.

Obviously the shorter the deal is, the less money KK will get. And vice versa.
If KK is not willing to give up UFA years, he will have to compromise on his AAV on the short term deal.
The Wild can not force him to sign those away if he doesn't want to. In exchange they get a lower cap hit for this season to try to improve the team around him.

That 8 year deal really was not some sort of great offer by the Wild at all. Due to escrow and future cap jump that would be a pretty bad deal for KK assuming he is willing to bet on himself and his health.

Both sides can't really afford to not come to a solution here. Wild need their best player asap on the team and KK can't really afford to go back to Russia considering his career plan and the amount of money he would lose. He would also lose a ton of value as an asset if things go ballistic which is also not something the Wild would want.

Guerin made a huge blunder when he basically ruled out a short term deal. A 1 year 5-6m deal with a likely trade a year from now is IMO the most logical solution to this mess if KK indeed has no real interest in staying longterm with the Wild. If he really only cares about maximizing career earnings a 2-3 year deal could make sense as well with a bigger extension afterwards (potentially with the Wild or someone else).

Reactions: McJedi and kp61c

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I think the argument is if he wants 9 or better then ufa years should be involved. Makes perfect sense to me. Then some yell about bad faith nonsense just to keep the drama mill spinning. Id say 90% of what we read here is massive speculation anyway.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't understand the logic of Wild fans.
So because he has rejected an 8 year deal, he should now have to give UFA years to meet in the middle? Why?

At the end of the day both parties have to be able to live with the results of those negotiations. Both sides need a somewhat amicable solution. Especially considering that an unhappy player that feels that he got bent over and starts resenting the organisation is usually not something you want in any lockerroom.

Obviously the shorter the deal is, the less money KK will get. And vice versa.
If KK is not willing to give up UFA years, he will have to compromise on his AAV on the short term deal.
The Wild can not force him to sign those away if he doesn't want to. In exchange they get a lower cap hit for this season to try to improve the team around him.

That 8 year deal really was not some sort of great offer by the Wild at all. Due to escrow and future cap jump that would be a pretty bad deal for KK assuming he is willing to bet on himself and his health.

Both sides can't really afford to not come to a solution here. Wild need their best player asap on the team and KK can't really afford to go back to Russia considering his career plan and the amount of money he would lose. He would also lose a ton of value as an asset if things go ballistic which is also not something the Wild would want.

Guerin made a huge blunder when he basically ruled out a short term deal. A 1 year 5-6m deal with a likely trade a year from now is IMO the most logical solution to this mess if KK indeed has no real interest in staying longterm with the Wild. If he really only cares about maximizing career earnings a 2-3 year deal could make sense as well with a bigger extension afterwards (potentially with the Wild or someone else).

I don't understand the logic of people who keep insisting on compromise when only one side is expected to compromise. that isn't compromise. there is no report of Kaprizov's side compromising but for the rumor they're stuck on "details" on a mid length deal. stuck for over a week now i think so those details must be pretty strange.

he doesn't have to give up UFA years. he can take a qualifying offer then arbitration to reach UFA. or he can sit out. Wild don't have to compromise. they could say " QO or 8 years".

the constant "the wild should just let him take a deal that gets him to UFA" talk is essentially just saying "give him what he wants and hope you can trade him when everyone knows he's on the open market in a couple years" (and pay him a huge chunk while your at it--because he doesn't appear to want to compromise on the $)

Reactions: hirawl

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't think Kaprizov is the type to hold a grudge or be resentful or anything but if he does end up having that contentious relationship with the front office it's still in his best interest to perform, and keep his head in the game every night for either the possibility of a trade or at the very least to keep his stock high for his UFA contract. He has essentially no NHL track record to fall back on (for valuation) if his performance drops off.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kaprizov compromising and still getting a 3 year deal would be him only getting $5-$6M a year. I wonder how open he would be to that.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The thing is that Kaprizov isn't your average NHL prospect. He dominated the KHL starting at the age of 19 which is the second best league in the world. Then he came into the NHL at 23 and was instantly the best player on the team. This player's track record means he has an almost 0 chance of busting. I am not surprised he values himself that highly.

Now obviously 9m is a lot, but hes going to fill the stadium and sell jerseys.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Kaprizov compromising and still getting a 3 year deal would be him only getting $5-$6M a year. I wonder how open he would be to that.

that would be tradeable to a team that is contending and doesn't necessarily need to moving a lot around to take it on. $8-9m would be hard to do I think.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
The thing is that Kaprizov isn't your average NHL prospect. He dominated the KHL starting at the age of 19 which is the second best league in the world. Then he came into the NHL at 23 and was instantly the best player on the team. This player's track record means he has an almost 0 chance of busting. I am not surprised he values himself that highly.

Now obviously 9m is a lot, but hes going to fill the stadium and sell jerseys.

we also value him that much. I think he is thinking he'll be a $12m/yr player in a couple years. he may be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad