Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2014
who cares? if the term is short then the money doesn't matter. Beauch is a huge upgrade to our defense. I've slotted him at 5, but he's still a top 4 dman easily. Vermette would finally give us a legit FO guy and he's a bigger body up the middle. The added depth allows us to keep our prospects cooking and short term contracts won't hurt us when we really need the cap space (assuming you can get both on short term deals).

Both upgrade our team, a team that is still growing with youth and already made the semi's this year.

I'm all for more significant upgrade, I just don't think we have the pieces, or can afford to give up the pices needed to facilitate that trade.

Neither of them are going for short term deals. Maybe Beauch and that's in Anaheim.
We have Schlemko and Engelland as a bottom pairing that's more than enough.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Neither of them are going for short term deals. Maybe Beauch and that's in Anaheim.
We have Schlemko and Engelland as a bottom pairing that's more than enough.

Well that was my whole premise...of course everyone is looking for a long term deal, but the demand for any player has to be there.

Again, if you can get these guys on shorter term deals, they are solid additions to our lineup and won't hurt us from signing our young stars in the near future.

If it comes to a bidding war then I'd just forget it.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
@Gamo, There's a chance Richards would rebound after leaving Sutter's system too.

Sutter's system has nothing to do with "what's wrong with Mike Richards". His strength/balance isn't there like it used to be so he loses puck battles, and his conditioning wasn't there so he can't even finish 50-second shifts without giving up on the play and watching the puck. It's like Babcock said "Hockey's a simple game, the team that wants the puck more usually wins". This isn't Space Jam, where Mike Richards' talent was stolen by aliens under the guise of " Darryl Sutter's system"

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What is the Flames cap situation? There have been a couple rumors floated by Staple that M. Grabner will be shopped by the isles, who want to recoup pick(s) and who have a glut at forward. His cap hit is $3m. His salary is $5m. He has 1 more yr left on his deal.

At the end of the season, he had a 2nd abdominal surgery. The latest report was, that he is expected to be healthy at the start of camp. I am guessing he is shopped and
highest pick gets him.Any interest?

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What is the Flames cap situation? There have been a couple rumors floated by Staple that M. Grabner will be shopped by the isles, who want to recoup pick(s) and who have a glut at forward. His cap hit is $3m. His salary is $5m. He has 1 more yr left on his deal.

At the end of the season, he had a 2nd abdominal surgery. The latest report was, that he is expected to be healthy at the start of camp. I am guessing he is shopped and

I think Calgary can do better than Grabner honestly.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Sutter's system has nothing to do with "what's wrong with Mike Richards". His strength/balance isn't there like it used to be so he loses puck battles, and his conditioning wasn't there so he can't even finish 50-second shifts without giving up on the play and watching the puck. It's like Babcock said "Hockey's a simple game, the team that wants the puck more usually wins". This isn't Space Jam, where Mike Richards' talent was stolen by aliens under the guise of " Darryl Sutter's system"
Yeah, because that's exactly what I meant when I said "there's a chance"

Sutter's system could be everything that's wrong with Mike Richards. Maybe it's a personality conflict between coach and player. Maybe Richards just doesn't care anymore. Maybe Richards had a quiet injury that nobody knows about. Maybe he just sucks now. Nobody will know for certain until he's playing under a different coach.

And to be clear, I'm not advocating acquiring Richards in a hockey trade. It would be the Flames saying to the Kings "hey, let us help you out of a business problem for a hefty price"

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think Calgary can do better than Grabner honestly.

From an E. Friedman article I've read, it does sound like there will be a lot of trading going on this offseason between teams trying to shake up their rosters or get salary cap compliant.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Ehhh, we already have a pretty comparable player in Raymond taking up cap space. Don't think the Flames would be very interested in giving up anything for him.

Aug 21, 2014

Flames got too many forwards as is. You guys should be looking at NJ as a trading partner. :naughty:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Flames got too many forwards as is. You guys should be looking at NJ as a trading partner. :naughty:

I'd hate to send him to a metro rival. Someone's going to get a highly paid, but also highly motivated Grabner at a cheap price imo.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Friedman says lehtonen available for cheap. Since it's extra salary and extra years would anyone do either of these deals:

Lehtonen, 12th pick for Hiller, 15th pick

OR

Lehtonen, 2nd round (49th, detroit's) for Hiller

?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Friedman says lehtonen available for cheap. Since it's extra salary and extra years would anyone do either of these deals:

Lehtonen, 12th pick for Hiller, 15th pick

OR

Lehtonen, 2nd round (49th, detroit's) for Hiller

?

I like Lehtonen, but not with three more years at 6 million.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lehtonen was awful last season, I wouldn't take him.

I don't know... I'd take a flier on him.

Consider that Dallas' defense is atrocious, Lehtonen had to steal them a whole lot of games during the year. The only problem with him is his inconsistency, but I really think that is because of the defense.

I think he and Ward are similar, but I like Ward a whole lot more. Would much rather just trade our 3rd (76th OA) + Hiller for Ward + 35th OA.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Well, it isn't so easy to play behind so awful defence without that much discipline. I'd blame their defensive game more, than Lehtonen. I also consider Lehtonen as a better goalie than Hiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad