Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I think if you retain 2-3 on Nurse you might be able to trade him and take nothing back. Better than a buyout or taking bad contracts back

I’d be moving out more than Nurse and try to sign DeMelo or Pesce to pair with Broberg. A solid defensive RD with experience and brains, exactly what we need.

Nurse, Ceci I dump. Campbell I buyout. McLeod, Skinner and Kane id maybe move for more space too, but idk maybe those can wait another year.

Reactions: frag2

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Assuming we don't pull off a miracle, we need a GM creative enough to put us in the same position next year that Florida was this year. Experienced in the finals, but deeper, and pissed.
Also need two heavies that can play well on the fourth line to deal with the Zadorov's of the world. Keep the stars healthier.

Kostin at 50% during the draft would be sweet. Maybe trade a player in the organization for a draft pick if necessary. Third team involved for the 50% as San Jose is at their max.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
When you consider:

- Holland did f*** all to help this team this year, big summer move was to sign Connor Brown for a 3+ mill cap penalty and then his big deadline move was to spend a 1st for Henrique, neither of which has done much for the team.

- McDavid hasn't been able to shoot due to injury all year long, dropping from 60+ goals to only 30-ish.

- Skinner has been sub .895 in the playoffs again for the 2nd year in a row. Dan Cloutier numbers.

- Ceci and Nurse have continued to suck in the playoffs and nothing has been done about it.

It's actually kind of wild they made the Cup Finals anyway, lol.
As usual mcdavid and drai dragged this team as far as they can go.

Knob has to make 3 changes a game because our bottom 6 forwards and bottom 4 defense are a joke.

Laine would be a definite "Dennis Rodman to the 95 Bulls" kind of risky move. It could go either way.
Laine would easily be the best winger drai has played with in his career.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
As usual mcdavid and drai dragged this team as far as they can go.

Knob has to make 3 changes a game because our bottom 6 forwards and bottom 4 defense are a joke.

Laine would easily be the best winger drai has played with in his career.
I mean this is a stretch. The only forwards to score in the finals are from the bottom 6. Our 4th line has been generating zone time all playoffs - while being elite PKers.

Broberg is shining and Kulak is relatively steady. The team made the finals for a reason beyond just McDrai.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I mean this is a stretch. The only forwards to score in the finals are from the bottom 6. Our 4th line has been generating zone time all playoffs - while being elite PKers.

Broberg is shining and Kulak is relatively steady. The team made the finals for a reason beyond just McDrai.

Yup. "Two man team" narrative is tired and outdated. Seeing Oilers fans copping this outsider narrative is a bit disappointing

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

Broberg is a rookie and didn't play the first two rounds. He had no choice but to roll the dice on Broberg.

Ceci who is supposed to be our reliable 10 year vet is healthy scratched.

Our bottom 6 got a few goals last game and no one scored first two games.

Foegele Brown etc are way overpaid for what they bring. The composition of this team is atrocious and next gm needs to fix half a dozen fires.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yup. "Two man team" narrative is tired and outdated. Seeing Oilers fans copping this outsider narrative is a bit disappointing
I don't really think it's that much of a stretch.

Did anyone on the team that didn't play the majority of their minutes with McDavid have a good season this year?

Of the guys you might put on that list, how many of them haven't been a healthy scratch in the playoffs?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Nurse is the reason you can’t buy out Campbell. At some point, you are going to need to move him. He’s a detriment. To move him, Oilers with undoubtedly have to retain salary. I would 100% keep Campbell, trade Skinner (to Jersey for the 7th) and try to move Nurse with retention.

• Haha
Reactions: Markham30

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nurse is the reason you can’t buy out Campbell. At some point, you are going to need to move him. He’s a detriment. To move him, Oilers with undoubtedly have to retain salary. I would 100% keep Campbell, trade Skinner (to Jersey for the 7th) and try to move Nurse with retention.
I don't understand what this means and you're trading Skinner for a 7th? What? I know he's had a rough playoffs but he's still a quality NHL goalie albeit a below average #1 in the playoffs but he's still is young and relatively cost controlled, it makes no sense to give him away.

You buyout Campbell, it's a very simple and easy decision. He's unplayable, untradeable and trading him with retention makes no sense because you're getting very little cap savings compared to a buyout with a max retention trade. You buy him out then try to find a quality guy to tandem with Skinner. Nurse is untradeable for many reasons, not even worth a discussion like I said in my previous post.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I don't understand what this means and you're trading Skinner for a 7th? What? I know he's had a rough playoffs but he's still a quality NHL goalie albeit a below average #1 in the playoffs but he's still is young and relatively cost controlled, it makes no sense to give him away.

You buyout Campbell, it's a very simple and easy decision. He's unplayable, untradeable and trading him with retention makes no sense because you're getting very little cap savings compared to a buyout with a max retention trade. You buy him out then try to find a quality guy to tandem with Skinner. Nurse is untradeable for many reasons, not even worth a discussion like I said in my previous post.
I’ll explain. Trading Nurse is going to require retention. Say you retain 2.5M (it’ll be a lot more). If you buy out Campbell, you will add another 1.3M to 2.6M in dead cap. Can’t have that if you want to win.

Secondly, you have no clue if Campbell is unplayable. He had better numbers than Skinner when he was sent down. He also has far superior playoff numbers with a .920 save percentage. Skinner has also played 31 playoff games- not a small sample size. He had as many game above .900 as he does below .850. Skinner’s playoff numbers are worse than what Campbell put up last year in the regular season- which- by your definition- is unplayable. A 7th overall isn’t giving him away, lol.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’ll explain. Trading Nurse is going to require retention. Say you retain 2.5M (it’ll be a lot more). If you buy out Campbell, you will add another 1.3M to 2.6M in dead cap. Can’t have that if you want to win.

Secondly, you have no clue if Campbell is unplayable. He had better numbers than Skinner when he was sent down. He also has far superior playoff numbers with a .920 save percentage. Skinner has also played 31 playoff games- not a small sample size. He had as many game above .900 as he does below .850. Skinner’s playoff numbers are worse than what Campbell put up last year in the regular season- which- by your definition- is unplayable. A 7th overall isn’t giving him away, lol.
I'm sorry but any Nurse trade is fantasy stuff IMO so speaking realistically, the Campbell buyout is the only way to go.

There's a much larger sample size of Skinner outplaying Campbell in two regular seasons, he played a big part in turning the last two seasons around. The playoffs have been another story but, by and large, Skinner has been the #1 on one of the best teams in the league the last two seasons. Campbell is done here, Skinner will at least be a tandem goalie next season most likely.

I thought you were saying to trade him for a 7th rounder haha, 7th overall for Skinner is as unrealistic as trading Nurse.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hes not wrong.
Well then why would this team bother than? Like it's clearly reaching a natural conclusion to where the player is headed and team is headed. I would be more shocked and bothered if the team didn't work to move on from Nurse this summer. His minutes can be used elsewhere and his cap hits is required elsewhere.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Well then why would this team bother then? Like it's clearly reaching a natural conclusion to where the player is headed and team is headed. I would be more shocked and bothered if the team didn't work to move on from Nurse this summer. His minutes can be used elsewhere and his cap hits is required elsewhere.
I think the team will probably try and move him but I think there’s 0 chance a team takes him.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
He literally spent this year on the 2nd pairing though?
He got bumped down and plays even worse. Ekholm, Broberg, Kulak is good enough for LD.

I wouldn’t buyout Nurse, but I’d retain a bit. I could see someone taking him at 7mil if they don’t have to spend anything to get him, it would be a mistake on their part but I could see it happening.

Dump Ceci at the draft and then buyout Campbell. If it’s possible retain and dump Nurse. If you could sign DeMelo or Pesce the D is set for next season. Maybe you try to add depth at the deadline but I like that 6 man group.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - DeMelo/Pesce
Kulak - Desharnais

I don’t see an elite goalie shaking loose too easily so I’d probably keep Skinner and target a veteran that can steal games from and push Skinner. Ullmark might be the prime target but it’s probably a big ask.

If there’s a winger for Drai that can be had I’d spend a lot and potentially trade Kane if it’s necessary for cap space.

Sucks being down 3-0, all I can think about if the impending off season.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

mkatcherin00

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Frank on Oilers Now today saying it's a matter of when not if for Drai re-signing. Expecting $16M for McDavid and $14M for Draisaitl.
And ten million Bouchard

He said 40 mill for three players

Good luck building a cup team. Nurse has to be gone. Campbell. Ceci. Gm would have to find many contributing value contracts. Skinner ain't it either

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Frank on Oilers Now today saying it's a matter of when not if for Drai re-signing. Expecting $16M for McDavid and $14M for Draisaitl.
I don’t care what your name bar says on the back. If you want to win, you have to leave some meat on the plate for the rest of the crew if you want to win. This nonsense of having 4 guys tie up 40% or more of the cap is a major hurdle for any kind of team success.

If Nurse is still an Oiler, that’s $39.25 million in three guys, which is roughly 40%. Nonsense. Don’t give a f*** if people *think* that’s their market value, it’s greed above all else. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad