Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I just hope our next GM is creative and can try and clear some cap space.

I think it’s going to be a boring offseason though. Campbell bought out. Same team more or less with some sub 1m signings because we have no space.

Only way it gets interesting is if Draisaitl won’t resign. I expect he will sign for something like 14m though,
Kane should be on LTIR which helps

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I believe Friedman poured cold water on it.

Jackson came out of nowhere. Knoblach came out of nowhere. Whoever the front runner is as GM, will be a name we probably haven't heard.
As someone who has shit on management (Chiarelli Nicholson Holland tippett) for 10 years I've been happy with the Jackson Knob hires.

Young forward thinking guys that actually are trying to modernize the team. Wouldn't even mind if Jackson became gm himself but suspect he has someone in mind.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When you consider:

- Holland did f*** all to help this team this year, big summer move was to sign Connor Brown for a 3+ mill cap penalty and then his big deadline move was to spend a 1st for Henrique, neither of which has done much for the team.

- McDavid hasn't been able to shoot due to injury all year long, dropping from 60+ goals to only 30-ish.

- Skinner has been sub .895 in the playoffs again for the 2nd year in a row. Dan Cloutier numbers.

- Ceci and Nurse have continued to suck in the playoffs and nothing has been done about it.

It's actually kind of wild they made the Cup Finals anyway, lol.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well, that Chatfield contract isn't overly promising for a potential Desharnais deal.

$3M per x 3 years.

Same age. Chatfield played about 30 seconds less per game. He did have 11 more points than Desh though.
Chatfield is better than Desharnais and brings a lot more offense which brings in the extra dollars. I watch him and see a player that's quite underrated actually.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The "Dinosaur" that just signed Chatfield is the league's first non-hockey data GM who just made this his first move in the big chair.

Interesting to see the Analytics Company Seravalli pushes suggested Chatfield's market value at $3.5 million while they project Desharnais at $1.1 million. Seems like a bizarrely huge gap between the two players/roles/experience levels though production is double.

EDIT: Doubt Desharnais is going to accept a short contract in anticipation of the cap rising in future years. That's a play for very good and/or established players with secured career earnings. This is his moment for a life and career defining contract. He will be looking for security having to scrap for every pro deal.

It's not bizarre. Chatfield moves better and scores a lot more, that's why he deserves to get paid more.

Reactions: McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I get the feeling they will go after Cam Talbot in the off-season, if they had signed him last summer, he'd have taken over the starter's job ages ago.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
When you consider:

- Holland did f*** all to help this team this year, big summer move was to sign Connor Brown for a 3+ mill cap penalty and then his big deadline move was to spend a 1st for Henrique, neither of which has done much for the team.

- McDavid hasn't been able to shoot due to injury all year long, dropping from 60+ goals to only 30-ish.

- Skinner has been sub .895 in the playoffs again for the 2nd year in a row. Dan Cloutier numbers.

- Ceci and Nurse have continued to suck in the playoffs and nothing has been done about it.

It's actually kind of wild they made the Cup Finals anyway, lol.
It is insane they made it this far. But credit to the guys that were able to do their jobs and credit to the guys that at least tried.

Holland f***ed up so bad. If he actually fixed the problems areas over a year ago when it was obvious, we might be watching the Oilers hoist the Cup.

One more shot with Drai I guess. New GM please be smart

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I can get behind a Nurse for Laine swap.

Iam sure Darnell wouldn't mind some obscurity.
But could Laine handle Edmonton fans and media. Laine is just a big shot, nothing else, if he ever could use his big body consistently he would become a force.

I'm certain that Nurse would move anywhere south of the border.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think Nurse would waive for Columbus anyway, lol.

Evander Kane for Patrik Laine maybe. Think Columbus could still get something a bit more significant for Laine, lots of teams will have the open cap space and be willing to take a shot. If I'm Chicago or Seattle or Utah, I'd take a flier on Laine.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I just hope our next GM is creative and can try and clear some cap space.

I think it’s going to be a boring offseason though. Campbell bought out. Same team more or less with some sub 1m signings because we have no space.

Only way it gets interesting is if Draisaitl won’t resign. I expect he will sign for something like 14m though,
It would be ridiculously short sighted to run it back with the same group and the same flaws appear when we play a team like Florida or Vegas, we can’t find 4 wingers to click with Connor and Leon.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't think Nurse would waive for Columbus anyway, lol.

Evander Kane for Patrik Laine maybe. Think Columbus could still get something a bit more significant for Laine, lots of teams will have the open cap space and be willing to take a shot. If I'm Chicago or Seattle or Utah, I'd take a flier on Laine.
I'm kinda of certain Nurse would waive for Columbus, he'd do well in that market, imo.

If we're swapping out Nurse I'd rather do it for another defenseman. Wasn't Laine just in the player assistance program? He's got some things to figure out.
Why though? They have the LHD set up for a bit.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - TBD
Kulak - Desharnais/someone else.

They'll be VERY fine without Nurse.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm kinda of certain Nurse would waive for Columbus, he'd do well in that market, imo.

Why though? They have the LHD set up for a bit.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - TBD
Kulak - Desharnais/someone else.

They'll be VERY fine without Nurse.
I know Broberg has played well in these playoffs but let's not gift him a top 4 spot just yet.

As for Laine there's just some serious red flags with that man.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Laine would be a definite "Dennis Rodman to the 95 Bulls" kind of risky move. It could go either way.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
If we're swapping out Nurse I'd rather do it for another defenseman. Wasn't Laine just in the player assistance program? He's got some things to figure out.
If it was a straight across swap, then the Oilers should do it for the cap reasons alone. And Laine only has two seasons left. I don't think it makes the team any better on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad