Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Why would Bouchard be making 13M when Hughes and Makar make around 8? I know they signed in 2021, but this is an insane number to suggest.

Because Bouchard is producing at higher levels than them in the playoffs and 4 years is an ETERNITY in the NHL, and the cap is going up this offseason for a record increase and projected to continue to escalate? Theres no chance this guy makes 9M.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Because Bouchard is producing at higher levels than them in the playoffs and 4 years is an ETERNITY in the NHL, and the cap is going up this offseason for a record increase and projected to continue to escalate? Theres no chance this guy makes 9M.

The easiest comparison for Bouch's agent to negotiate with is a current Oilers defenceman :eek3:

I really hope Jackson pulls off an amazing GM hire. Someone that can negotiate. Holland would be spanked and end up signing 8x12M or something for Bouch.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Bouchard isn't going to wait another year to sign. He could get injured and miss out on some $$. 9M is more than fair. As another poster pointed, there's the McDrai factor.

We should be pointing out what happened to Klingberg. 72 million to play with the 2 best players on the planet for the next 8 years is no small offer.

Should the Oilers trade McLeod and re-sign Henrique instead?

Impossible to say without knowing what Henrique would take. The way he talks, he clearly really doesn’t want to go to a bottom feeder again, so I could see him being the guy who would take less. He made the finals in his rookie year in 2011, and other than a single quick sweep, he hasn’t had a playoff run until this year.

I know we are in the SCF but weird to hear nothing on potential extension talk for Drai or Bouch. Would suck if we get past summer without either signed, gonna be a distraction all season

Contracts are the last thing they should be focusing on right now. I have a hard time believing a contract doesn’t get done right away for Leon if we win the cup. He knows he’s not going to have a better shot at the cup anywhere else

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I know we are in the SCF but weird to hear nothing on potential extension talk for Drai or Bouch. Would suck if we get past summer without either signed, gonna be a distraction all season
There is more important things to focus on, Saturday can't come quick enough.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Wondering about people saying McDavid and Draisaitl on max contracts.
Usually second major contract is mot maxed as it has to take into account older years as well.
Nuge, Hyman fir example.
I understand Draisaitl getting more as he was a good deal but McDavid had his huge contract.

Nuge went 6 mil to 5.25 mil. Shouldn't McDavid get the same ratio about?
McDavid will be the highest paid player the the NHL. But that can be achieved by a $14M contract which is about what I expect he will get.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
McDavid will be the highest paid player the the NHL. But that can be achieved by a $14M contract which is about what I expect he will get.

I don’t know if it’s as much of a foregone conclusion as everyone thinks. We already know he took less money once, he doesn’t have an ego, and winning is the most important thing to him. Another 8x12.5 puts him up over 200 million (Crosby currently has the highest career earnings at 141), and gives us a better chance to win. Just like Crosby taking 8.7 when he clearly could have gotten substantially more

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don’t know if it’s as much of a foregone conclusion as everyone thinks. We already know he took less money once, he doesn’t have an ego, and winning is the most important thing to him. Another 8x12.5 puts him up over 200 million (Crosby currently has the highest career earnings at 141), and gives us a better chance to win. Just like Crosby taking 8.7 when he clearly could have gotten substantially more
Anything under $14 million is a win for us. I doubt that he takes the same or less than his current deal.

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Mcdavid raise won't be that bad but 25/26 season when we have to pay Draisaitl around 13 and Bouchard around 10 will be a huge challenge.
I am as happy as any oilers fan that this team has a chance to win a cup this season but the (brutal) Nurse contract really screwed things up moving forward.
No way that you can pay Bouchard under $9.25M now.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
$13, 500 001 or he can do what Crosby did. Take the same AVV as the previous deal

If McDavid is the team player that he is and takes 12.5M. Drai would most likely take the same deal. Sadly McDavid can't sign his deal until another year

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think that the team will be fine with him being the highest paid player. $14M is a $1.5M raise which is easily managed. Maybe it will be $13.5M. This may be impacted slightly by what Leon gets.

$13, 500 001 or he can do what Crosby did. Take the same AVV as the previous deal

If McDavid is the team player that he is and takes 12.5M. Drai would most likely take the same deal. Sadly McDavid can't sign his deal until another year

Crosby's third deal is a bit of a tough comparison since he signed for 12 years. His first 8 years were at a hair under $11M. The deal was mitigated by the last three years being at $3M.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I am as happy as any oilers fan that this team has a chance to win a cup this season but the (brutal) Nurse contract really screwed things up moving forward.
No way that you can pay Bouchard under $9.25M now.
Bouchard shouldn't be getting 10 million until he proves he can be dependable without Ekholm as a partner. There's no rush to sign him this off season unless it's a great deal for the Oilers. Pair him at the start of next season with Nurse or Broberg and see how he does. If he's playing 5x5 at or near his current level without Ekholm then he'll be worth every penny they sign him for.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Guys sometimes take less to win. This year has proven he can win here.

Matthews knows he ain't never winning shit in Toronto.
I love Draisaitl and I know he cares about Edmonton and all of the players on the team, but he ain't taking a discount on this next deal. He's going to get what he deserves and JJ/new GM will have to figure it out. Maybe it leads to a trade, but its naive to think that Leon is gonna sign a long term team friendly deal just because he loves Connor and the Oilers.

He's a confident dude, I think he feels like he could go anywhere and be the face of franchise and turn them around.

Hopefully the next 4-7 games go well and we get sunshine and rainbows for the next few months, but 29's next contract is definitely a big deal.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bouchard shouldn't be getting 10 million until he proves he can be dependable without Ekholm as a partner. There's no rush to sign him this off season unless it's a great deal for the Oilers. Pair him at the start of next season with Nurse or Broberg and see how he does. If he's playing 5x5 at or near his current level without Ekholm then he'll be worth every penny they sign him for.
I agree with you completely.
The problem is that the way contracts work they tend to pay players for what they will do and not what they have done.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
McDavid and Draisaitl are getting matching 14-15M contracts. Best y'all prepare yourselves for the incoming reality now. Bouchard is also not signing a contract lower than 8 figures unless it's some sort of short term bridge that takes him right to UFA or something.

But this is ok. Pay your stars. Hire smart management to find cheap depth options that can contribute.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Man this thread is going to be so weird in the off season (win or lose).

Such a different mentality when you've made it all the way to the final - Tough to argue with real results.

My hope would be Drai says "I'll take 100 million and I'm good". It can be an 8 year deal I think?

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
McDavid and Draisaitl are getting matching 14-15M contracts. Best y'all prepare yourselves for the incoming reality now. Bouchard is also not signing a contract lower than 8 figures unless it's some sort of short term bridge that takes him right to UFA or something.

But this is ok. Pay your stars. Hire smart management to find cheap depth options that can contribute.
The Cap had better be going up a lot to accomodate 3 players making just under $40.
This extremely top heavy template is right out of the Leafs playbook and its clear it just doesnt work.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The Cap had better be going up a lot to accomodate 3 players making just under $40.
This extremely top heavy template is right out of the Leafs playbook and its clear it just doesnt work.

We would be more like the Avalanche.

Toronto's problem is the players they committed to left them with a completely unbalanced roster that has major holes even at the top of the lineup. Edmonton would be committing to a two player top 6 and a superstar #1D. It's not the same at all.

Also, the cap IS going to rise a lot but that's not even really the point. We could fit those contracts onto this team today if we weren't wasting so much money on players who can't even play.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad