Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Keep Nuge Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I did point him out. He seems to go back and forth sometimes though.

Stauffer is probably the most reliable out of everyone it seems. I think Holland likes to use the media to prepare fans for any moves. So I think we’re basically done for the summer except for the guys Stauffer mentioned.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Stauffer is probably the most reliable out of everyone it seems. I think Holland likes to use the media to prepare fans for any moves. So I think we’re basically done for the summer except for the guys Stauffer mentioned.
Stauffer cant hardly help but be the most reliable as he is literally on both the plane and the Oilers payroll. He is worth a listen for that reason alone, plus the guy really does know his stuff/history. He talks over guests a bit, and his position puts him in awkward “Baghdad Bob” situations, but he’s got a good thing going.

Lowetide is my favourite local guy. I love his demeanour and he brings a lot of critical thinking and knowledge to the position.

I like the Staples/McCurdy tandem. Good eyes untainted by being too close to the Oilers. I think some of the Staples detractors dont like him because of his politics. Maybe I’m wrong but thats a topic for another day.

Gregor.....Sometimes he’s an absolute beauty (like his annual ‘letter to his dad’ that makes me cry like a little girl) and other times he comes across as arrogant and it just turns me off.

Spector is awesome in that nobody gives it to the Oilers with both barrels when they screw up like he does.

Ray Ferraro is just the best. Nobody gives you the straight goods like Ray. He cuts through the crap and tells you exactly how things are on the ice and in the locker room. The fact that he’s funny as hell is just icing in the cake. More please!

I dont have strong opinions either way on Rishaug, Leavins, or Willis.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Stauffer cant hardly help but be the most reliable as he is literally on both the plane and the Oilers payroll. He is worth a listen for that reason alone, plus the guy really does know his stuff/history. He talks over guests a bit, and his position puts him in awkward “Baghdad Bob” situations, but he’s got a good thing going.

Lowetide is my favourite local guy. I love his demeanour and he brings a lot of critical thinking and knowledge to the position.

I like the Staples/McCurdy tandem. Good eyes untainted by being too close to the Oilers. I think some of the Staples detractors dont like him because of his politics. Maybe I’m wrong but thats a topic for another day.

Gregor.....Sometimes he’s an absolute beauty (like his annual ‘letter to his dad’ that makes me cry like a little girl) and other times he comes across as arrogant and it just turns me off.

Spector is awesome in that nobody gives it to the Oilers with both barrels when they screw up like he does.

Ray Ferraro is just the best. Nobody gives you the straight goods like Ray. He cuts through the crap and tells you exactly how things are on the ice and in the locker room. The fact that he’s funny as hell is just icing in the cake. More please!

I dont have strong opinions either way on Rishaug, Leavins, or Willis.

Good post. I agree except to say that Stuaffers a definite company man and thats a little hard to take sometimes. I get that he is paid by the Oilers and he has to protect the brand but I find I need to take extended breaks from his predictability.

As for Rishaug, Leavins and Willis....Rishaug has an interesting take most of the time. I enjoy hearing his perspective. I especially like when he challenges Gregor as I think Rishaugs hockey knowledge is superior to Gregor and its interesting to hear Gregor squirm a little bit.

Leavins is usually a good read. I like his stuff.
Willis I dont have a lot of time for. I appreciate criticism when its warranted but that seems to be his schtick. I get the impression that he thinks he needs to be the negative radio guy and he tries a little too hard to fulfill that role. He is hard to listen to sometimes.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It wasnt literally mentioned,,,it was inferred due to Gregor unloading on Staples while Struds was sitting next to him.

Follow along Joe. :D
Hard to follow along at the best of times here, then there is that pic of RNH that has me confused.

Does the guy shave/wax his legs? If not how much money does that guy save in shaving supplies in a year? Then you have Khaira with that 5 o'clock shadow and you can see why they paid him a bit more. Guy needs extra money for shaving supplies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think the thing I dislike about Gregor is that he’s not a huge hockey fan. Seems like anytime he can change to another topic he takes that opportunity. Also wanted to give a shout out to Struds who IMO is one of the best hockey guys in Edmonton.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Stauffer only reliability is his unreliability sometime

He drops lots if hints but they only come true about 3% of the time
The problem I have with Stauffer is you never know if his hints are his thoughts or what he's being told.

It was kind of like Matheson when he starting giving rumors that really just turned out to be his opinion.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Stauffer is the most reliable because he is the only media personality that is an Oilers employee and he gets fed information directly from the team.

Reactions: Raab

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the thing I dislike about Gregor is that he’s not a huge hockey fan. Seems like anytime he can change to another topic he takes that opportunity. Also wanted to give a shout out to Struds who IMO is one of the best hockey guys in Edmonton.
Struds is my fav, kind of sad that he isn't a better host though. He seems destined to be a co-host. Lots of dead air when he's running the Gregor show.

The thing I like about Gregor's show is he does talk about other things. There is only so much hockey one can talk about in the summer. I like that he ventures out into the CFL, NBA, MLB etc...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hard to follow along at the best of times here, then there is that pic of RNH that has me confused.

Does the guy shave/wax his legs? If not how much money does that guy save in shaving supplies in a year? Then you have Khaira with that 5 o'clock shadow and you can see why they paid him a bit more. Guy needs extra money for shaving supplies.

Now that you mention it Nuges legs are suspiciously hairless. :laugh:

Reactions: joestevens29

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Struds is my fav, kind of sad that he isn't a better host though. He seems destined to be a co-host. Lots of dead air when he's running the Gregor show.

The thing I like about Gregor's show is he does talk about other things. There is only so much hockey one can talk about in the summer. I like that he ventures out into the CFL, NBA, MLB etc...

Yea, but I’m not talking summer. It could be January and instead of talking WJC’s, and Oilers he’s talking NBA, lacrosse, and football.

Reactions: joestevens29

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I get its summer but can we please talk about the media in a different thread?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Many of the bloggers come off as smart ass know it all twits. See “Bagged Milk” and “Woodguy” as examples 1 and 2. Staples and his buddy Willis do need to go to games live. Can’t get the full scope of a game or players from a TV set and spreadsheets.

So while I am not the biggest Gregor fan out there I give Gregor props for calling a spade a spade.

Irony here is the Oilers would have been in a better spot today if they'd hire done of those bloggers instead of Chiarelli.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Irony here is the Oilers would have been in a better spot today if they'd hire done of those bloggers instead of Chiarelli.
I don't know these bloggers rarely have answers to what would make the team better.

They are quite good at picking out what is wrong and give you 30 stats that prove they are bad. But at the end of the day why the hell do you need to investigate so much? Shouldn't take much more than watching a couple of games to tell a person that half the team just weren't NHLers and the majority of the rest are playing too far up the lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad