Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Agreed with the results-oriented business part but I'm genuinely fascinated by this mindset in the context of UFAs. In a similar vein, if I make my very best pitch to Margot Robbie regarding my clearly ideal suitability as her long time life partner and all around sex monkey and, inexplicably, she chooses a different option, is it your contention that I have failed? Is it your contention that the blame and responsibility for that particular outcome lies with me and me alone (or, if blame can be shared, that I am even *mostly* responsible)? That, if only I had tried harder or said the perfect thing or offered the perfect enticement, I could have overcome any objection and avoided "failure"? Or could it be that there's something - a lot, in fact - more to it and that there is another, living, breathing human participating in this negotiation, complete with her own motivations, needs, and wants that may or may not be open or vulnerable to my arguments, no matter how expertly crafted or presented? After all - it's results-oriented, right? Either we end up together together or we don't. If Ms. Robbie exercises her own free will over my attempts at persuasion, in your view I have "failed"? I'm genuinely curious...
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”
- some guy

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I think Hyman would fit really well with McDavid and over the last two seasons, he's scored at a pro-rated pace of 31 goals and 61 points which is top line output. Outside of the obvious length of contract issues, the biggest concern I have is his overall durability. He missed 20ish games in 2019-20 and 13 this season which would pro-rate to about 21 missed games in an 82 game season. Add in the fact that he's already dealing with knee injuries and I'd be worried about the long-term investment.

I totally understand the desire to add extra years to knock down the cap hit and to be honest, that might be the only way the Oilers can fit Hyman in at a reasonable rate and still have enough money to add to the blueline. However, while Hyman is a great fit, should be somewhat healthy over the next couple years, and I do think we need to be aggressive and possibly take some gambles on contracts 6 or 7 years out while McDavid and Draisaitl are here, I'm not sure if Hyman is the right guy to gamble on.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Hall wanted to come here he would be here. Don’t need to be able to read minds.

you know the goal of those people jobs is to create hits and views right? You mention Hall to Edmonton, with zero to back it up and it’s like throwing gas onto dry tinder and then hitting it with a blow torch. Then you have people posting about it non stops on message boards for weeks…
Speculation cause you have no idea how well or not well Holland's pitch went. You are assuming there's nothing, no way, not an ounce of possibility that he'd come here based on Hall's thoughts and feelings which only you seem to be privy to. Your speculation is not any better than those that thought he was a realistic option. But I will say again, it is all speculation on both fronts. I could also speculate that Hall did want to come here, but Holland gave zero indications he would go north of 6M or anywhere near the term Hall was after. You can excuse that all you like cause its speculation. What is not speculation is what actually happened, and what actually happened is we did not get Hall and we loss Larsson. Excuse both with your own rationalizations and assumptions all you want, but that's the reality of the situation.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Speculation cause you have no idea how well or not well Holland's pitch went. You are assuming there's nothing, no way, not an ounce of possibility that he'd come here based on Hall's thoughts and feelings which only you seem to be privy to. Your speculation is not any better than those that thought he was a realistic option. But I will say again, it is all speculation on both fronts. I could also speculate that Hall did want to come here, but Holland gave zero indications he would go north of 6M or anywhere near the term Hall was after. You can excuse that all you like cause its speculation. What is not speculation is what actually happened, and what actually happened is we did not get Hall and we loss Larsson. Excuse both with your own rationalizations and assumptions all you want, but that's the reality of the situation.

The reality is that you’ve been posting this shit for an entire day. Take a break my guy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Agreed with the results-oriented business part but I'm genuinely fascinated by this mindset in the context of UFAs. In a similar vein, if I make my very best pitch to Margot Robbie regarding my clearly ideal suitability as her long time life partner and all around sex monkey and, inexplicably, she chooses a different option, is it your contention that I have failed? Is it your contention that the blame and responsibility for that particular outcome lies with me and me alone (or, if blame can be shared, that I am even *mostly* responsible)? That, if only I had tried harder or said the perfect thing or offered the perfect enticement, I could have overcome any objection and avoided "failure"? Or could it be that there's something - a lot, in fact - more to it and that there is another, living, breathing human participating in this negotiation, complete with her own motivations, needs, and wants that may or may not be open or vulnerable to my arguments, no matter how expertly crafted or presented? After all - it's results-oriented, right? Either we end up together together or we don't. If Ms. Robbie exercises her own free will over my attempts at persuasion, in your view I have "failed"? I'm genuinely curious...
You are comparing an unrealistic situation to a realistic situation. Last I heard it's realistic to assume that a General Manager of a Hockey Club could sign or retain players that would help his hockey club. It's a false equivalency and I'm pretty certain you know this, but pile on.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So you are unhappy that hes speculating? Yet you've been speculating for the last 2 days about the same shit.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
We all know thanks :thumbu:

If your fine with it, so be it :thumbd:

I mean, they could have traded Larsson for mid round pick or something at best if they knew beforehand, right?

No guarantee that pick ever amounts to anything.

I’m not crazy about it but it happens often where a trade tree dies after a decade, if not earlier.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
where ya fishing at?
Melmerby Beach, Northumberland strait

just almost lost my rod. Wasn’t watching and big bass pulled it in
EFF1750A-A3B8-415D-9486-671E4F0D9F9E.jpeg

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You are comparing an unrealistic situation to a realistic situation. Last I heard it's realistic to assume that a General Manager of a Hockey Club could sign or retain players that would help his hockey club. It's a false equivalency and I'm pretty certain you know this, but pile on.
Forcing a player to sign with them isn't a realistic expectation.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
29 GMs haven’t made things happen for two years now
My line in the sand is not winning Cups. I expect progress though, what a crazy thing to expect out of the guy who's job is to make our team better.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What actually happened was that Larsson signed in Seattle for less money than he was offered here and Hall has now chosen three times in the last year to play somewhere that isn’t Edmonton. Those are facts. That’s what has actually happened. Everything you have been stating is speculation and emotional sewage for months and months on the Hall topic. You can continue with that if you want, but that’s the actual reality of the situation.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You can say literally everything is out of Holland's control until it isn't. He signs a player at a great cap/term, assume it was all Holland and he did a great job. He tries to sign a player but fails, now assume that it wasn't under his control and therefore should be excused of any failings?

It's a results-oriented business. As fans, we can only speculate on things besides the actual results like player thoughts and feelings. So far the results are pretty simple to assess. Losing a solid top 4 D. Not signing needed talent and secondary scoring.

Results like taking a team that was consistently in the bottom half of their division and not making the playoffs, and having them finish two in the div and making the playoffs two years in a row?

I’m bitterly disappointed with the pitiful playoff performances and Holland’s moves so far but I’m going to reserve judgement until the off season is done and ultimately until the season is played. He’s got a bunch of cap space, some options to acquire guys and internally we have some young guys who could be ready to start contributing and or more consistently.

Still plenty of work to do but there’s still lots of opportunity to get it done however a lot of fans are ready to throw themselves from a bridge before the draft and free agency have arrived.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I mean, they could have traded Larsson for mid round pick or something at best if they knew beforehand, right?

No guarantee that pick ever amounts to anything.

I’m not crazy about it but it happens often where a trade tree dies after a decade, if not earlier.
I don't like letting a player play out the entire contract and gamble you can sign him after. Should have looked into trading him last offseason when he wouldn't extend.
It is a business and the Oilers GM's need to do better at asset management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad