Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Speculation cause you have no idea how well or not well Holland's pitch went. You are assuming there's nothing, no way, not an ounce of possibility that he'd come here based on Hall's thoughts and feelings which only you seem to be privy to. Your speculation is not any better than those that thought he was a realistic option. But I will say again, it is all speculation on both fronts. I could also speculate that Hall did want to come here, but Holland gave zero indications he would go north of 6M or anywhere near the term Hall was after. You can excuse that all you like cause its speculation. What is not speculation is what actually happened, and what actually happened is we did not get Hall and we loss Larsson. Excuse both with your own rationalizations and assumptions all you want, but that's the reality of the situation.

The key difference is that you are characterizing a chance as a certainty by referring to Hall's choice as a failure on the part of Holland. I, too, believe there was a chance - even a good one - that he might wish to return, but that fact that Hall chose a different path is not Holland's "failure". Holland was never in control, or even in majority control of the situation. He may not have succeeded in landing Hall, but in the context of UFA negotiations where the player wields control, the opposite of such success is not "failure".

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The reality is that you’ve been posting this shit for an entire day. Take a break my guy.
Im 100% fine with agreeing to disagree here. It seems my radical take on how I personally will judge Holland's job performance has struck a chord with the Holland apologists. So if they reply to me, I'll reply to them. I did not think that people would flip their lid at the notion that a GM should be judged on how well he builds his team or doesn't, but here we are.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
My line in the sand is not winning Cups. I expect progress though, what a crazy thing to expect out of the guy who's job is to make our team better.
So starting from the end of last season.

Buffalo signed Hall and he played awful, the team sucked and was a huge disappointment- FAIL

Boston gave up assets for Hall and didn’t make it any further than they would have without him and didn’t make it as far as they did the previous year - FAIL

The Oilers didn’t sign Hall, didn’t trade for him at the deadline and were a much improved team in the regular season and made the playoffs which they failed to do the previous season. - PROGRESS

But keep on trying to insist this outburst by you today has nothing to do with how massively you have been personally invested in the idea of Hall coming back to Edmonton. Riiiight.

Reactions: North

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I don't like letting a player play out the entire contract and gamble you can sign him after. Should have looked into trading him last offseason when he wouldn't extend.
It is a business and the Oilers GM's need to do better at asset management.

The problem is it looks like he wanted to re-sign and had a last minute change of heart. It’s not like John Tavares where it sounds like he played them for a while about it

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Im 100% fine with agreeing to disagree here. It seems my radical take on how I personally will judge Holland's job performance has struck a chord with the Holland apologists. So if they reply to me, I'll reply to them. I did not think that people would flip their lid at the notion that a GM should be judged on how well he builds his team or doesn't, but here we are.
Your entire argument is speculation by you is good, and speculation by anyone else is bad. It's ridiculous. That's why people are giving you shit.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
haha, Spector got orders to try to soften up fans about the Hyman deal. Says we can't complain because it means we're going "all in" for McDavid.

We've been up against the cap almost every year. We've been "all in" almost this entire time. Finally get some space, wasted it all again, but can't complain apparently.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What actually happened was that Larsson signed in Seattle for less money than he was offered here and Hall has now chosen three times in the last year to play somewhere that isn’t Edmonton. Those are facts. That’s what has actually happened. Everything you have been stating is speculation and emotional sewage for months and months on the Hall topic. You can continue with that if you want, but that’s the actual reality of the situation.
Yup they happened. What also happened is that Holland wanted otherwise, and failed. I will judge Holland for that as someone who's supposed to bring in good players and build a team, you can go ahead and excuse him for that. And this is where we agree to disagree.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
You are comparing an unrealistic situation to a realistic situation. Last I heard it's realistic to assume that a General Manager of a Hockey Club could sign or retain players that would help his hockey club. It's a false equivalency and I'm pretty certain you know this, but pile on.

For me in particular, sure it's a false equivalency - I'm hideous and I smell worse than I look (call me, Margot!). So let's change our protagonist to someone more realistic in this scenario - say... Ryan Gosling (he's popular with the kids these days, right?). All else being equal, would Ryan have "failed" if Ms. Robbie chose not to accept his advances?

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Its cute how upset you get when anyone speculates Holland made a mistake. Seeing as how he makes a lot, I suppose you'll be in a tiff all year at this rate.
I’m not the one resorting to childish name calling. You just can’t handle anyone disagreeing with you.

Holland’s made tons of mistakes as GM in his term. A player being a UFA and choosing to sign elsewhere doesn’t register as one to me. Sorry that you’re so emotionally damaged by me having that opinion that you need to call me a homer, fanboy, simp and other insults.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
haha, Spector got orders to try to soften up fans about the Hyman deal. Says we can't complain because it means we're going "all in" for McDavid.

We've been up against the cap almost every year. We've been "all in" almost this entire time. Finally get some space, wasted it all again, but can't complain apparently.

Is this on Twitter or something?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yup they happened. What also happened is that Holland wanted otherwise, and failed. I will judge Holland for that as someone who's supposed to bring in good players and build a team, you can go ahead and excuse him for that. And this is where we agree to disagree.
I think everyone agrees that Holland’s job is to bring in good players and build a good team. Not sure why you think anyone would disagree with that. That hasn’t been your argument though.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not sure why you’re okay with being mediocre.
You can not be fine with it, and still think about it logically.

You wanted every scout fired as soon as we got a new GM with no understanding of contracts or anyways.

That's like screaming the sky over nothing.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site

Challenging your take on the Hall situation is not being a Holland apologist. I am waayyyyyy over on the side of a non-Holland fan. But I also recognize that it takes two to tango in negotiations at the best of times, and in UFA negotiations one side - with rare exceptions - holds ALL the power...

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I read the whole conversation between you two.

Right so you saw the guy started insulting me from his first and after taking it for about a half dozen messages I finally used the term homer and now im just being a dick back cause apparently this is just a hostile forum, cool.

Actually my whole point of starting this was to call out that people are speculating a dozen reasons for Lars leaving but the Simp patrol only sounds the alarm and three people call you an idiot if you even dare say it may have been management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad