Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Question about offer sheet compensation. If a player signed an OS that worked out to < 8.454 mil, the compensation would be 1sr, 2nd, 3rd. Are those picks payable in the next draft? Or is it 1 pick in each of the next 3 drafts?

If all 3 were due in the next draft, Jets would be unable to OS a player at that level until the condition on the '21 3rd was satisfied. That is, don't make the PO and don't re-sign Eakin before July 5, 2020.
If I remember correctly, all picks are for the next draft, or next consecutive drafts, if there are multiples of certain round picks... except in the case of 4 1st round pick compensation, in which case they are payable over the course of the next 5 seasons.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If I remember correctly, all picks are for the next draft, or next consecutive drafts, if there are multiples of certain round picks... except in the case of 4 1st round pick compensation, in which case they are payable over the course of the next 5 seasons.

That is my guess. It doesn't prohibit Jets from an OS < the 4 1sts level but it means they would need to wait until July 6. Not that Chevy is likely to sign any offer sheet anyway but Cirelli might be an option for one. So would Domi.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That is my guess. It doesn't prohibit Jets from an OS < the 4 1sts level but it means they would need to wait until July 6. Not that Chevy is likely to sign any offer sheet anyway but Cirelli might be an option for one. So would Domi.

Just my personal opinion but I don’t see Chevy ever using a OS.......might work a trade driven by fear of a OS from other GM’s maybe (Cirelli or whoever).

Love to trade for Domi also......

We really need an upgrade at 2C, sign DeMelo (or someone similar) and maybe a vet bridge guy to one year deal for 3-4 million until one of the kids is ready on LHD.......we don’t need anything big or sexy on D, just effective so we can spend on a 2C.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Just my personal opinion but I don’t see Chevy ever using a OS.......might work a trade driven by fear of a OS from other GM’s maybe (Cirelli or whoever).

We really need an upgrade at 2C, sign DeMelo (or someone similar) and maybe a vet bridge guy to one year deal for 3-4 million until one of the kids is ready on LHD.......we don’t need anything big or sexy on D, just effective so we can spend on a 2C.

Like Joel Edmundson.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

DeMelo - big YUP
2C - same

I wouldn't mind a vet LHD for the right price but I doubt anyone we could get for under 4 mil and under 3 years would be any better than Sbisa, Kulikov or Beaulieu re-signed for less money and less term. Keep 1 or 2 of those 3, depending on confidence in Samberg making the NHL. Dahlstrom is a decent option with the Moose, or even in the PB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He would cost a little more, both $$$ and term. I would like to have him though, if we could afford him.
Evolving Hockey projects Edmundson to make about $3.9M and Dillon about $3.4M.

Dillon is a very easy choice...

download (35).png

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I hear you on the risk. It would have been great to get O'Reilly as he fits that archetype when he was available. But then there were character issues on him as well. Wasn't he the guy who drove drunk into a Tim Hortons restaurant? I guess I am OK taking a chance on players with character issues if you believe you can help the kid grow as a person.

As I mentioned Patrick isn't my first choice but I'm not sure if there is another center who can realistically be acquired that plays that prototypical Maurice game. Do you have any suggestions?
How about
You put Cirelli between Ehlers and Laine and your getting production... a lot more than if you put Copp in the same spot.

Sounds potentially cool, Ehlers - Cirelli - Laine. I think if Copp were to be "elevated" to a #2 C, his wingers would be better served with Connor and Wheels. This could be a better fit for Copp to produce more and grow as a Center. Ehlers & Laine could be with Scheifs at C. Might serve the "team " better overall? And what cost is attaining Cirelli, providing he were available, truly worth? Prediction and circumventing the future. Always a gain/risk tug-a-war.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Ok I finally got back after my crazy day.

first off I would like to dig in on the character thing. I want to be clear I don’t get totally hung up on if a guy unpopular.

With ROR I think he has good character but he made a very stupid mistake. I have heard mostly good things about him as a stand up guy. Yea I would have loved to have got our hands on ROR from Buffalo but it was not meant to be.

My issue with Patrick is very different. It’s twofold really, first off he has missed all of his draft +3 season so far with a “migraine disorder”. His injury history concerns me allot. Secondly when it comes to character my challenge is around his professionalism and drive. Things can always change but between his dodgy health and his give a shit factor I have concerns about his development.

He had the pedigree but they don’t gift It to guys that mail it in. Too many really talented players working their bags off all year now to float in the off season.

EK9 was an unpopular teammate but he never cheated the fans and worked hard at his craft so I could plug my nose and accept him on the Jets. The character that concerns me is when I think it can stunt a young players growth. I do like Patrick’s game and hope he gets healthy and finds a passion for putting in the work.

I have to dig in on options I wish we could have traded for on my next posts. Just to prove I could do a deal with the Devil I think Kadri is a wanker but he would have made a good 2nd line centre on our team. I don’t like him or his antics at all but I think he is a talented hockey player. ROR goes without saying.

Neither one of those guys went for stupid prices either. Sometimes an acquiring team has to be in the right place.

I like Copp way more than most so I am panicking less than other fans on our board.
Yes, I agree with you on Copp. I think with more offensive skill players but who don't cheat the 200-foot game too much, Copp could find more steady offense and still contribute positively defensive-wise. Could be a win-win, forteam/ player success. Just dont know because Copp has virtually never played with higher skilled offensive players and appropriate minutes to know what he can produce? ( not as a Jet, under Maurice & Chevy "levy)

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I also don't know enough about him to really comment but I'd just as soon give Roslovic/Harkins a shot at C then spend assets on him.
Agreed...Harkins sudden growth last year and his effort, work ethic and commitment along with his NHL pedigree could mean a positive rise to a solid #2 producing, valued Center. Forgot about him!! Why waste assets or futures without internal opportunity given and true trials for a couple of These guys
( Copp, Roslo, Harkins). I would be just as fine trading Roslo to Columbus for
Oliver Bjorkstrand and a pick, maybe.?,

Reactions: RabidOne

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, I agree with you on Copp. I think with more offensive skill players but who don't cheat the 200-foot game too much, Copp could find more steady offense and still contribute positively defensive-wise. Could be a win-win, forteam/ player success. Just dont know because Copp has virtually never played with higher skilled offensive players and appropriate minutes to know what he can produce? ( not as a Jet, under Maurice & Chevy "levy)

He's seen some time in the top 6. He played LW with Scheifele for a bit. He's also played a lot over the years with Perrault so it's not like he's only played with Lowry. I don't think we see a material change in his rate production. He'll score in and around his 1.5 P/60 at 5 on 5 which will get him between 25 and 40 points depending on his ice time.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
For sure! I just see Dillon as being more sought after and more likely to not choose Winnipeg
Agree, not sure why? But I think his reaction to SJ dumping him off at the TD shows he loves (loved San Jose) and would not blink (or sign) at an offer from Winnipeg, no offense to the Prairie Paris!
I do like Joel Edmunson. Nasty but not overboard or penalty-negative. Solid d-skills and size, with decent experience now. Likely upgrade to Kuli, Beauliue & Sbisa & Bitteto!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed...Harkins sudden growth last year and his effort, work ethic and commitment along with his NHL pedigree could mean a positive rise to a solid #2 producing, valued Center. Forgot about him!! Why waste assets or futures without internal opportunity given and true trials for a couple of These guys
( Copp, Roslo, Harkins). I would be just as fine trading Roslo to Columbus for
Oliver Bjorkstrand and a pick, maybe.?,
Also, Wheeler was quite good at C last season.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Perreault for Kris Russell

Straight up trade. Helps both teams, almost identical cap hits and one year term for both. Provides the Jets a bit of help on the left side as the kids develop and if one of the kids really steps up into a top 4 role then Russell can play bottom pairing or be traded.
Very interesting proposal.Hi

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
He's seen some time in the top 6. He played LW with Scheifele for a bit. He's also played a lot over the years with Perrault so it's not like he's only played with Lowry. I don't think we see a material change in his rate production. He'll score in and around his 1.5 P/60 at 5 on 5 which will get him between 25 and 40 points depending on his ice time.
Yes we can all choose our stand on any given players possible ceiling and/ or their possible prospectus, growth in a new situation. I choose to believe that Andrew Copp still has more to offer offensively and points-wise if confidentally given opportunity at Center, with proven scoring wingers and experience ( Wheeler). This actual idea has not been tried truly. Maybe only spot duty in rare case of in between line changes on the fly, and when rare case when Copp has actually been a Center for more than a few games.
As far as using numbers when he was "temporarily plattooned" as a winger with Scheifele as Center, does not compute to or relate to my wanting yo see if he can produce more and regularly, while centering Connor & Wheels, with lots more opportune ice-time and potential zone-starts.
Copp has never had even 10- game stretch on a line with Scheifele & Wheels, in 4 seasons, so...
You made your point, and hopefully I have explained mine. Fair arguments, possibilities. All the best. Cheers & need a fresh, cold beerS

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes we can all choose our stand on any given players possible ceiling and/ or their possible prospectus, growth in a new situation. I choose to believe that Andrew Copp still has more to offer offensively and points-wise if confidentally given opportunity at Center, with proven scoring wingers and experience ( Wheeler). This actual idea has not been tried truly. Maybe only spot duty in rare case of in between line changes on the fly, and when rare case when Copp has actually been a Center for more than a few games.
As far as using numbers when he was "temporarily plattooned" as a winger with Scheifele as Center, does not compute to or relate to my wanting yo see if he can produce more and regularly, while centering Connor & Wheels, with lots more opportune ice-time and potential zone-starts.
Copp has never had even 10- game stretch on a line with Scheifele & Wheels, in 4 seasons, so...
You made your point, and hopefully I have explained mine. Fair arguments, possibilities. All the best. Cheers & need a fresh, cold beerS

I don't disagree that he will score more with better players playing more minutes. The issue being to really increase point totals you need pp minutes which he is likely not going to see much of.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've been thinking about all kinds of fantasy moves the Jets might make this off-season, if we ever get to the off-season, but the truth is that all of the circumstances related to Sars-CoV-2 will probably severely inhibit GM's from making big moves. Chevy being among the more conservative GM's, it is extremely unlikely, IMO, that we see any bold moves from him.

So, in that context I hope we sign DeMelo. I see that as almost a must do, so I am going to proceed on the assumption that Chevy gets that done. I think we need to keep 2 of our 4 bottom end LHD. We need 1 even if Samberg turns out to be fully ready and another just in case he needs time in the AHL.

Sbisa is the first one for me. Kulikov would be my second choice but I think the org likes Beaulieu and he might come just a little cheaper than Kulikov. So I assume Sbisa and Bowloo with Dahlstrom either in the PB or in the AHL as first call up.

I really want to pick up a good 2C but I doubt it is going to happen. 2C will have to be fixed internally, at least for now. And no roster player will be traded.

So, here is my projected roster to open the next season, whenever that turns out to be:

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Roslovic
Perreault - Harkins - Appleton
Shore

Morrissey - DeMelo
Sbisa - Pionk
Beaulieu - Poolman
Dahlstrom

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Yes, ELL
Yes, Brossoit. The alternative is Comrie, so Brossoit it is. I'm not going shopping for a backup.
Yes, Harkins at 4C. But don't worry, that only lasts until the first injury .

Question: Is that good enough?

Near NHL ready in the AHL, Gustafsson, Vesalainen, Samberg - not much else to get excited about with the Moose.

This is not what I would like to see. It is as close as I can get to what I expect to see.

Edit: Left out Heinola with the Moose.

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I've been thinking about all kinds of fantasy moves the Jets might make this off-season, if we ever get to the off-season, but the truth is that all of the circumstances related to Sars-CoV-2 will probably severely inhibit GM's from making big moves. Chevy being among the more conservative GM's, it is extremely unlikely, IMO, that we see any bold moves from him.

So, in that context I hope we sign DeMelo. I see that as almost a must do, so I am going to proceed on the assumption that Chevy gets that done. I think we need to keep 2 of our 4 bottom end LHD. We need 1 even if Samberg turns out to be fully ready and another just in case he needs time in the AHL.

Sbisa is the first one for me. Kulikov would be my second choice but I think the org likes Beaulieu and he might come just a little cheaper than Kulikov. So I assume Sbisa and Bowloo with Dahlstrom either in the PB or in the AHL as first call up.

I really want to pick up a good 2C but I doubt it is going to happen. 2C will have to be fixed internally, at least for now. And no roster player will be traded.

So, here is my projected roster to open the next season, whenever that turns out to be:

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Roslovic
Perreault - Harkins - Appleton
Shore

Morrissey - DeMelo
Sbisa - Pionk
Beaulieu - Poolman
Dahlstrom

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Yes, ELL
Yes, Brossoit. The alternative is Comrie, so Brossoit it is. I'm not going shopping for a backup.
Yes, Harkins at 4C. But don't worry, that only lasts until the first injury .

Question: Is that good enough?

Near NHL ready in the AHL, Gustafsson, Vesalainen, Samberg - not much else to get excited about with the Moose.

This is not what I would like to see. It is as close as I can get to what I expect to see.

Completely agree. Typically fans dream about long lists of possible moves each summer and rarely do any teams GM makes even a small percentage of them nevermind a list of them.....always safe to assume zero moves and see if you get any of your fantasy improvements.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Completely agree. Typically fans dream about long lists of possible moves each summer and rarely do any teams GM makes even a small percentage of them nevermind a list of them.....always safe to assume zero moves and see if you get any of your fantasy improvements.
I think the Jets' future success will depend largely on how their young core improves. Can Laine become a bona fide 45+ goal scorer with a reasonable well rounded game? Can Scheifele and Connor improve in their defensive play to become much more net positive in their results. Does Ehlers tick up another notch as a scorer? Can Roslovic take another step forward and become a 20 goal, 50pt forward? If those things happen, the Jets will have more than enough with their top 2 lines even without going out to get a top 2C.

On D, can Morrissey return to form as a top pairing D? Can they sign DeMelo, and will he be a solid top 4 RD? Will Samberg and/or Heinola be able to play a solid 2LD? If so, the Jets D could be fine.

Hellebuyck was the best goalie in the NHL by a long way. That gives them a strong chance to go far in the playoffs if the other pieces gel.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think the Jets' future success will depend largely on how their young core improves. Can Laine become a bona fide 45+ goal scorer with a reasonable well rounded game? Can Scheifele and Connor improve in their defensive play to become much more net positive in their results. Does Ehlers tick up another notch as a scorer? Can Roslovic take another step forward and become a 20 goal, 50pt forward? If those things happen, the Jets will have more than enough with their top 2 lines even without going out to get a top 2C.

On D, can Morrissey return to form as a top pairing D? Can they sign DeMelo, and will he be a solid top 4 RD? Will Samberg and/or Heinola be able to play a solid 2LD? If so, the Jets D could be fine.

Hellebuyck was the best goalie in the NHL by a long way. That gives them a strong chance to go far in the playoffs if the other pieces gel.

Of course I agree.....but rarely does everything go as well as this......normally there is ups and downs on all teams.....especially ones who don't win the cup. Safe to assume some of that happens and some doesn't happen. Using Little at 2C can work, but everything around him needs to improve at the same time which is a bit unlikely. I expect something very similar to Morts lineup I quoted.......then let's just pray as many of the things you listed above happen & we stay healthy if we have hopes of a decent playoff run.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Of course I agree.....but rarely does everything go as well as this......normally there is ups and downs on all teams.....especially ones who don't win the cup. Safe to assume some of that happens and some doesn't happen. Using Little at 2C can work, but everything around him needs to improve at the same time which is a bit unlikely. I expect something very similar to Morts lineup I quoted.......then let's just pray as many of the things you listed above happen & we stay healthy if we have hopes of a decent playoff run.
I'm not sure Little is the answer at 2C. Wheeler was effective in that role last year. I don't mind Copp, because he's so good defensively and drives play. Roslovic and Harkins might be long shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad