Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure Little is the answer at 2C. Wheeler was effective in that role last year. I don't mind Copp, because he's so good defensively and drives play. Roslovic and Harkins might be long shots.

I would be quite happy running a Harkins-Roslovic-Appelton line next year. While only a small sample that line out shot, out chanced and out scored their matchups.

I would like to see an upgrade for our second line but don't see that happening without a major trade.

I think Maurice likes the Lowry/Copp and the Scheifele/Wheeler pairing too much for him to give either Wheeler or Copp a serious look there next year barring another slew of injuries up front.

I bet Moe has Little inked into that 2C slot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not sure Little is the answer at 2C. Wheeler was effective in that role last year. I don't mind Copp, because he's so good defensively and drives play. Roslovic and Harkins might be long shots.

I'm not convinced that PMO would use Wheeler long term at 2C when there are options at 2C like Little. People talk like its a video game saying just put Wheeler at 2C........Wheeler is a aging vet, playing him at 2C is harder on him/his body and forces him into a role he didn't ask for, didn't want and is unnatural for him........it's not typically what a team does to a vet player long term. Are there examples throughout NHL history of this happening of course.....but there's far more examples of it not happening. Sure it's possible, I'm just not sure it's likely long term when the team has other options. If Little is healthy, I see Little at 2C next year......if Little gets injuried again I see Copp/Jack/Harkins all getting a few games at 2C but doubt any produce at 2C pace......which leads to Wheeler moving there out of necessity.

Jack, Harkins and Copp......none of them interest me at 2C. Jack & Copp have been given chances there and haven't produced offensively at a ideal level (which is way he's never stayed at 2C). I've seen the graphs you've posted many times about Copp.......he's just not a ideal 2C, he's more of a 3C. That's not being disrespective of Copp, but he just doesn't have the offensive talent he needs in that role as a 2C and arguable more importantly to bring out the best in his wingers. I'm happy with Copp as a 3C, but would be pretty disappointing to me as a 2C.

Jack can also play 3C, or as a winger in the top 9. Harkins is a top 9 guy also, looks like he could be a nice two way top 9 guy.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would be quite happy running a Harkins-Roslovic-Appelton line next year. While only a small sample that line out shot, out chanced and out scored their matchups.

I would like to see an upgrade for our second line but don't see that happening without a major trade.

I think Maurice likes the Lowry/Copp and the Scheifele/Wheeler pairing too much for him to give either Wheeler or Copp a serious look there next year barring another slew of injuries up front.

I bet Moe has Little inked into that 2C slot.

Agreed.......just don't see Wheeler being played long term at 2C if Little is healthy.........and from a respect POV I don't disagree with that. If Wheeler comes out and sincerely says I want to move perm to 2C then ok that's different.......but aging vets don't do that normally, it's just too hard/unfair on them to make such a big change late in their careers.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Completely agree. Typically fans dream about long lists of possible moves each summer and rarely do any teams GM makes even a small percentage of them nevermind a list of them.....always safe to assume zero moves and see if you get any of your fantasy improvements.

Exactly - but even more so with Chevy than with many others and even more so in the Covid-19 environment. GM's like as much certainty as they can get. As they should. There is a lot of extra uncertainty right now.

It looks likely that we will get some kind of PO in MT arenas. But how much longer after that will they have to play for TV money only? How can they plan to pay players when they can't plan on revenue? OTOH, will all the people being deprived of their live entertainments lead to increased TV ratings and consequently increased revenue from that source? Who knows?

Will live entertainment become a thing of the past? Will we see venues filled with mannequins and get recorded crowd sounds? :laugh: OK, now I'm fantasizing what could be done with CGI crowds. Some guy in the press box making up chants. I'd probably be better able to make out what it is that the crowd is chanting. :laugh:

We are in unexplored territory here and I expect a lot of extra caution. Terrible year for players to have reached coveted UFA status.

Reactions: Hunter368

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Jets' future success will depend largely on how their young core improves. Can Laine become a bona fide 45+ goal scorer with a reasonable well rounded game? Can Scheifele and Connor improve in their defensive play to become much more net positive in their results. Does Ehlers tick up another notch as a scorer? Can Roslovic take another step forward and become a 20 goal, 50pt forward? If those things happen, the Jets will have more than enough with their top 2 lines even without going out to get a top 2C.

On D, can Morrissey return to form as a top pairing D? Can they sign DeMelo, and will he be a solid top 4 RD? Will Samberg and/or Heinola be able to play a solid 2LD? If so, the Jets D could be fine.

Hellebuyck was the best goalie in the NHL by a long way. That gives them a strong chance to go far in the playoffs if the other pieces gel.

Some of those ifs being met depend on the 2C being effective. Laine and Ehlers won't achieve to their potential unless their line is strong. How much would they score if they were the 2nd pair wings for Pitt, TML or Edm?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not sure, but I think Wheeler's effectiveness at 2C was tapering off. But regardless of his effectiveness there, it came at the expense of the effectiveness of the 1st line. So what is the net effect of him at 2C?

Copp is good defensively but he didn't drive play.

Roslovic and Harkins need to be given decent trials at 2C. Roslovic was good between Harkins and Appleton.

Reactions: RabidOne

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
For me, the Jets need to take 2 steps this offseason.
1) Re-sign DeMelo
2) Trade for a 2C

If this team wants to advance and take the next step toward cup contention, they must address that 2C position. Little is not the answer in that position.
Chevy has repeatedly been willing to trade our 1st for rental type players in the hopes they might fit and stay, so he should be willing to increase that mentality and trade for a more long term solution in a young player with lots of potential and upside, like Cirelli.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1) Re-sign DeMelo
2) Trade for a 2C

If this team wants to advance and take the next step toward cup contention, they must address that 2C position. Little is not the answer in that position.
Chevy has repeatedly been willing to trade our 1st for rental type players in the hopes they might fit and stay, so he should be willing to increase that mentality and trade for a more long term solution in a young player with lots of potential and upside, like Cirelli.

I agree - but I doubt a trade will happen. Partly because of Covid-19 and partly because Chevy is too conservative. I hope Chevy proves me wrong.

Right now, I want the announcement that DeMelo has signed. Today would be a good day for it and none too soon.

Reactions: BatVader

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So there is a discussion on the main board about a swap of Middlestadt and Pulijaarvi. There is also rumour that Borgstrand is heading back to Finland (is disgruntled in Florida).

IF the Jets could acquire 1 of them for Niku, which do you go for?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't know much about Borgstrand but I'd give Beefalo Niku for Mitts in a heartbeat but they wouldn't do that deal.

It'd probably cost Roslo...

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
So there is a discussion on the main board about a swap of Middlestadt and Pulijaarvi. There is also rumour that Borgstrand is heading back to Finland (is disgruntled in Florida).

IF the Jets could acquire 1 of them for Niku, which do you go for?

Stanley for Borgstrom. Fresh start for both

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
1) Re-sign DeMelo
2) Trade for a 2C

+1 on resigning demelo but why would we have to trade assest or picks for a 2C when we could sign an elite playmaking and defensively sound center/winger for peanuts?

Someone please get in touch with Chevy and alert him to Mikael Granlunds freeagent status!!

Reactions: hn777

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
+1 on resigning demelo but why would we have to trade assest or picks for a 2C when we could sign an elite playmaking and defensively sound center/winger for peanuts?

Someone please get in touch with Chevy and alert him to Mikael Granlunds freeagent status!!
And at what salary do you figure?

Granlund made $6.5 million this season. And 30 points. You can argue he was not a fit in Nashville and could be a great fit alongside Laine but 1 - we dont know that and 2 - the Jets cant afford him.

Reactions: BatVader

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
His last two seasons have been subpar and no nhl team will sign him for 6,5$m. But he IS a quality playmaker and on a line with Ehlers and Patty he would be a great and relatively cheap fit IMHO.

Apart from being a potentially capfriendly signing I think bringing hi over would keep Patty happy no matter if he would play with 55 or 64. My point is the Jest need to work towards resigning Patrik and the next step is aquering a center/playmaker that he clicks with, if 55 or Pomo is set on keeping wheels on that top line.

I just want the Jets to win a Cup, the d core is just too thin this season and I honestly think that they cannot win in the future without Patrick.

What a top six that would be:

81 55 26
27 64 29

Reactions: hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
His last two seasons have been subpar and no nhl team will sign him for 6,5$m. But he IS a quality playmaker and on a line with Ehlers and Patty he would be a great and relatively cheap fit IMHO.

Apart from being a potentially capfriendly signing I think bringing hi over would keep Patty happy no matter if he would play with 55 or 64. My point is the Jest need to work towards resigning Patrik and the next step is aquering a center/playmaker that he clicks with, if 55 or Pomo is set on keeping wheels on that top line.

I just want the Jets to win a Cup, the d core is just too thin this season and I honestly think that they cannot win in the future without Patrick.

What a top six that would be:

81 55 26
27 64 29

Laine has to have another 40 goal season to deserve this kind of love.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
And at what salary do you figure?

Granlund made $6.5 million this season. And 30 points. You can argue he was not a fit in Nashville and could be a great fit alongside Laine but 1 - we dont know that and 2 - the Jets cant afford him.

Agreed.......barring him taking a big pay cut we can't afford him and he's aging (28.5 years old with a small frame).....no need for another Little contract. Preds fans have even said on many nights he looked like nothing more then a 3rd liner. My fear is his best days are several years behind him......not in front of him. So unless he came dirt cheap (4-4.5 million) then buyer beware......he's certainly not worth any where close to 6.5 million in a cap strapped year due to COVID. Much sooner have a guy on the front 9 holes of his career vs a guy on the back 9 holes.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Agree with all about Granlund not being what we need.
Zero reason to take another Stastny/Hayes risk at this point. It’s time to fill that damn 2C hole long term and finally get our top 6 solidified, so we can focus on fine tuning the D.
We aren’t that far from ready... after a 2C, we just play musical chairs with rental vet Dman while Samberg and/or Heinola acclimate

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know much about Borgstrand but I'd give Beefalo Niku for Mitts in a heartbeat but they wouldn't do that deal.

It'd probably cost Roslo...

I'd do Roslo for Mittelstadt in a heartbeat too. Roslo + Niku .... still a heartbeat.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd do Roslo for Mittelstadt in a heartbeat too. Roslo + Niku .... still a heartbeat.
I agree but I don't think it would cost that much.
I also think he was rushed into the NHL because Buffalo needed someone at that position.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree but I don't think it would cost that much.
I also think he was rushed into the NHL because Buffalo needed someone at that position.

I doubt Buff has given up on him. I agree they probably rushed him but they finally sent him to the A, where he should have been sooner. He was doing pretty well there. I don't know if he will be ready for the NHL next season or whether he will need another year in the AHL but I still expect him to have a good NHL career. I think they would want a pretty good price for him now. If the price goes really low, he probably isn't what we need.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
By my spitballing math & estimates cap wise:

- Jets sign DeMelo (4million), LB (1.5 million) and our RFA's to new deals, let all other UFA's walk and trade no one and cap stays at 81.5 million.

Jets will have ballpark 6 million in cap space and 20 man roster (without any call ups). Ideally Jets add a one year bridge vet guy at LHD cheap (1 million) like Sbisa maybe or someone similar. Only leaves about 5 million to fill two more roster spots including a potential 2C upgrade.

After letting that sink in, Jets aren't getting any 2C upgrade barring a huge trade (Ehlers, Laine, Connor,Wheeler) or a big cap dump like MP (Little contract isn't tradable at this point) being traded to make room (which is going to be harder then ever to trade away cap dumps this summer with a flat cap & cash strapped teams). I'm guessing we're going to see another year of Little/Copp/Jack at 2C........not ideal for sure.

If anyone sees it differently by all means enlighten me and it would make me much happier if I'm wrong. :popcorn::laugh:

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I never said he would get close to 6m$!! He is for sure a better playmaker then Rosie, Copp or Harkins.

How many of you have actually seen Granlund play most of his nhl games?

I respectfully disagree. Who would you trade for or sign as 2C?

Do you think Patty wants to sign long term if it looks like he will still play on the second line with Copp, Harkins or Little if he ever plays hockey again?

I'm all ears.

Roslovic and Niku and Vesalainen should fetch a ok return.

If you don't value Patrik or think you need him to win a cup, then trade him for Hamilton plus Trocheck and picks. Or maybe Werenski and Josh Andresson and picks?

I want the Jets to win and I want Patrik to stay and play his prime years in the Jets. Does 55 want this? I'm not so sure..

Here are this summer free agent centers.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Whats the upside for Heinola ? And wich lines will he plays next season ?
I think Heinola could slot right in on the Jets team and skip the Moose completely. He has played in the Finish Mens league and played 8 NHL games and looked comfortable in most of them. I see his upside as first line but will end up playing 2nd line when he does make the Jets.

Reactions: Easternbull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad