Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Is it too much to ask for resolution on the Stone thing by the end of the weekend?

All depends on the competence of Dorion, which doesn't bode well.

I think he'll try hard to sign them right up until the deadline. He's moved what could be the first overall pick and a few prospects for two seasons of Duchene with no playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we sign Stone long term, I would find out what kind of players/prospects/picks we would get back for Trouba and Laine.
Sending them both to Florida with a nice return coming back would work.
Trouba gets to be close to his woman and Laine can play with his buddy.
Trochek, Huberdeau, a 2nd and Ekblad come over to the Jets.

Interesting .... but if:
Trouba would get 6.5 in arb and Laine would get 7 on a bridge, that is 13.5 out.
If Stone gets 8.5 plus the 3 Panthers it = 26.65 mil coming in. We need to find more than 13 mil. By my quick math we would have had about 1.5 if we kept Trouba and Laine so that leaves us about 12 mil over the cap. That is not a complete picture. Just some quick arithmetic.

We also lose a couple of more F's. Tanev would be 1, that's another 1.15 mil gained. Say Petan is the other, 875k. We are within 10 mil. Myers replaced by Poolman gains 4.75. Chiarot replaced by Niku gains ~500k. Still 9 mil short.

I don't think we can do it.

Move Trouba and a top 6 W, but don't bring back all that cap in the return.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
All depends on the competence of Dorion, which doesn't bode well.

I think he'll try hard to sign them right up until the deadline. He's moved what could be the first overall pick and a few prospects for two seasons of Duchene with no playoffs.

Hopefully he tries and tries until 1pm on the 25th then panic trades him to us so he doesn't lose him for nothing :thumbu:

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But why even trade Connor for Stone? If he wants to sign here he can easily do it in the offseason, I can see Roslovic are 1st plus picks/prospects + Perreault/Kulikov going the other way if Stone only wants to sign here, Ottawa doesn't have the leverage for a huge haul because they could only trade him for a rental makes sense to as its still early before trade deadline and they know Stone will only extend in Winnipeg

Who said anything about trading Connor for Stone?

Forget the TD. Sign Stone on July 1. We need to clear a ****load of cap space to pay Stone. Who are you going to move?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
God I'd laugh if all of this was actually for Ceci.

. . And then throw up :laugh:
There are times when I see posts which I want to delete so, so badly. But I won't, even if reading them kills me inside.

Any kind of notion of us trading for Ceci fits that bill. Do not f***ing dare, Chevy.

Reactions: MardyBum

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Jets have roughly 21m in space accumulated. They can probably add both right now, and easily could if Laine doesn't hit his 2m bonus for finishing top 10 in goals

Yeah likely. Though with Duchene and Stone he might have a shot.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
IWe can afford either Stone or Duchesne with no retention providing we move a league minimum roster player (Petan) as part of any deal.

Adding a second Senator without retention would require an identical contract going the other way ($6 million-$$7.35 million) and only Byfuglien fits that bill, so yes major retention in the neighbourhood of $3 million would be required. Some money could be save if another Jet minimum salary roster piece (Lemieux, Appleton), but it wouldn't be much.

I'd say a deal for both would be unlikely.

With both here Perreault becomes a 4th liner at best. Might as well move him, we have to in the offseason anyways.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Who said anything about trading Connor for Stone?

Forget the TD. Sign Stone on July 1. We need to clear a ****load of cap space to pay Stone. Who are you going to move?
Ah miss interpreted then and I be fine trading for him I would move 1st + pros/picks for him + plus a conditional pick if he were to sign then you can trade Connor for Troubas replacement at a cheaper cost as Whileee said previously

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Sens really really want Roslovic

And I think they are really, really expecting too much for a rental. Completely ignoring my aversion to rentals.
Top rentals get a 1st + either roster player, not one with a high ceiling, or a prospect, not one with a high ceiling and high probability of hitting it. Roslovic is nowhere in there.

Our 1st is a 1st. Late, yes but that is normal for rentals. Teams with high firsts don't spend them on rentals.
Petan is a roster player. A fringe one but better than that on a team not so deep in wingers.
Stanley is the level of prospect that is normal for rentals.

By offering both the roster player and the prospect we are already pushing the top of the envelope. Assuming that is our offer. I thought this was supposed to be a buyer's market. You don't even get to mention the name Roslovic in a buyer's market.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We get what maybe a 2nd or 3rd for Perreault in the offseason? If both are here who is he bumping out of the lineup? Copp? Tanev? Laine?
Chances are we won't even get that, because

A) Perreault has been given zero chance to inflate his value, and
B) teams know our situation and are more than willing to capitalise on that.

Would be a stupid move, which fits in with the rest of them.

As for your question: Lemieux, Tanev, Appleton are the correct choices, provided that Chevy doesn't trade a core guy away. If he does, keep Appleton.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Chances are we won't even get that, because

A) Perreault has been given zero chance to inflate his value, and
B) teams know our situation and are more than willing to capitalise on that.

Would be a stupid move, which fits in with the rest of them.

As for your question: Lemieux, Tanev, Appleton are the correct choices, provided that Chevy doesn't trade a core guy away. If he does, keep Appleton.

Lemieux and Appleton are likely already out of the lineup if we get both.

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheels
Laine/Connor - Duchene - Stone
Connor/Laine - Little - Rosie
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

There isn't room for Perreault on the left side unless he bumps Copp or Laine.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And I think they are really, really expecting too much for a rental. Completely ignoring my aversion to rentals.
Top rentals get a 1st + either roster player, not one with a high ceiling, or a prospect, not one with a high ceiling and high probability of hitting it. Roslovic is nowhere in there.

Our 1st is a 1st. Late, yes but that is normal for rentals. Teams with high firsts don't spend them on rentals.
Petan is a roster player. A fringe one but better than that on a team not so deep in wingers.
Stanley is the level of prospect that is normal for rentals.

By offering both the roster player and the prospect we are already pushing the top of the envelope. Assuming that is our offer. I thought this was supposed to be a buyer's market. You don't even get to mention the name Roslovic in a buyer's market.

Yeah if Rosie, Niku or Vesalainen are included for a rental we are overpaying. Add Samberg to that list as well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IF it meant the rest of the return was less expensive (No 1st), and they felt very confident that they could keep Stone past this season then go for it!

Petan out, Roslovic in - for both Stone and Duchene. Maybe not quite enough? Add a 2nd.

Really, Roslovic is that far above rental price.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Lemieux and Appleton are likely already out of the lineup if we get both.

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheels
Laine/Connor - Duchene - Stone
Connor/Laine - Little - Rosie
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

There isn't room for Perreault on the left side unless he bumps Copp.
Out of the remaining 12, Tanev is by far the worst player.

And if this starts to sound bad, this business of scratching/getting rid of NHL caliber forwards...

... maybe we don't need to trade for more of them?

Reactions: Neuf

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Out of the remaining 12, Tanev is by far the worst player.

And if this starts to sound bad, this business of scratching/getting rid of NHL caliber forwards...

... maybe we don't need to trade for more of them?

Tanev has been not only better at entries, exits and maintaining possession this season he is also producing the same in the exact same role. And giving up less goals on the ice. Not to mention he has been the superior PKer. Tanev has been better than Perreault this year.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Id do Roslovic for Stone .Id add Petan and Stanley if need be or a 1st. Petan is guaranteed to be involved but his value is nothing so he adds nothing.

If Rosie is involved I'd imagine stone signs long term and we move Connor in the off season.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It will be more fun if this deal (should it happen) occurs on the trade deadline day, and not earlier. It would be nice to be the big story of the day!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Make a list of the Jets least likely to be traded:
1. The untradeables due to NMC's - Wheeler, Little, Buff
2. Scheifele
3. Morrissey/Ehlers
4. Ehlers/Morrissey
5. Everybody else depending on return.
Maybe those 'untradeables' should be moved down to 4th place because they could waive. Unlikely as that may be it still might put them behind Scheifele, Morrissey & Ehlers.

To me Ehlers is the one necessary guy if Chevy ever was to try and pull off a blockbuster. Everyone wants to keep him. It's not what he doesnt bring as a player that makes him tradable.

He has the better possession numbers and has the great contract for his stats. Doesnt have any kind of movement clause to work around. But that's also what would make him insanely valuable. We have an excess of wingers.

What makes him a better asset than Connor now is also what gets his trade value closer to a solid 1C or top pair D.

Only worth it if the return is worth it obviously. But that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah if Rosie, Niku or Vesalainen are included for a rental we are overpaying. Add Samberg to that list as well.

I would add Appleton too, although he might just barely be worth considering. I have really liked Apples though. Consider the opportunity he has had when measuring his achievements. If Rosie doesn't make it at 2C then I think he and Apples are near even.

Then there is Lemieux. May also be close to the cut off line. Not quite as skilled as the others but as long as he continues to control his worst impulses the grit he brings is valuable. I'm not anxious to include him either.

All I could see adding would be a little more quantity.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Tanev has been not only better at entries, exits and maintaining possession this season he is also producing more in the exact same role. And giving up less goals on the ice. Not to mention he has been the superior PKer.
Also, carried by Lowry. This has been established over a larger sample size. Perreault can carry others, Tanev cannot. Only one of then has been submarined by Maurice, though.

Imagine adding at the deadline and simultaneously getting rid of your good players for the simple f*** of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad