Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I didn't really consider the Stastny trade a blockbuster, seeing as how it was a pretty common rental deal. It was, however, an extremely exciting rental deal at the deadline, because it was a complete surprise.

Either way, this could get exciting.

Hard to say. It was a big move that no one saw coming and helped propel us to the WCF.

Reactions: SLAYER

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There would have to be significant salary going Ottawa's way if we are after both Duchene and Stone.

Perrault and or Kulikov would be goig the other way.

Reactions: folix

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that Stone told Dorion he'd sign long-term in WPG if traded there. Dorion can take that to Chevy, and get a better price than any other team as they would only be getting a rental.

Explains why they are scouting us so hard, and goes with what I've been hearing around town.
But a signing would actually have to happen. Very interesting developments. If it is going to be that big of a deal they may want to consummate before tomorrow's game to avoid an injury derailing things.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Whatever you pay up for Stone you can likely get it back + in a Trouba trade this summer.

Hard to say.. post draft assets should have more value IMO. I'd value Niku over a 15-31 pick right now just because he's more polished.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But a signing would actually have to happen. Very interesting developments. If it is going to be that big of a deal they may want to consummate before tomorrow's game to avoid an injury derailing things.

Heard rumours both Stone and Duchene's agents are in Winnipeg.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There would have to be significant salary going Ottawa's way if we are after both Duchene and Stone.

Perrault and or Kulikov would be goig the other way.

We ccan fit it if we move Perreault and Ottawa has some retention.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hard to say.. post draft assets should have more value IMO. I'd value Niku over a 15-31 pick right now just because he's more polished.

It's good to have potential quality ELC's you can keep dropping into the lineup regularly, in 2-3 years time.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Hard to say. It was a big move that no one saw coming and helped propel us to the WCF.

This is true. I think I didn't consider it a blockbuster because we only got one player, and it seemed like a pretty standard rental deal (value-wise).

It was unexpected, exciting, and proved to be an excellent move. Last March - May was thrilling, I hope to be watching the Jets even longer this spring.

We will probably have to move Perreault this summer anyways, could be a good deal for us. That being said, it would be tough not to have French Jesus with us for the playoffs this year... probably crushing for him too.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is true. I think I didn't consider it a blockbuster because we only got one player, and it seemed like a pretty standard rental deal (value-wise).

It was unexpected, exciting, and proved to be an excellent move. Last March - May was thrilling, I hope to be watching the Jets even longer this spring.

We will probably have to move Perreault this summer anyways, could be a good deal for us. That being said, it would be tough not to have French Jesus with us for the playoffs this year... probably crushing for him too.

Yeah. Lots of moving parts here for any deal. I think we are deep in talks at this point. I just hope Chevy somehow escapes with us giving up very little.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets can extend him to a new contract the second after they trade for him. But they have to make the trade first. And any talking to a player before a trade to see if that player is "open" to a new deal, so you make the trade, is tampering.

The Canucks were fined $50,000 a couple of years ago just because they spoke publically about the team's potential interest in players under contract to other NHL clubs. And it's not like they were talking... all they said is sure we would be interested.

Unless they get permission as part of the negotiation process.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah. Lots of moving parts here for any deal. I think we are deep in talks at this point. I just hope Chevy somehow escapes with us giving up very little.

I'll be holding my breath... hopefully Chevy can trick Dorion into taking less than full value. Maybe call up Sakic and see what his strategy was :naughty:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The Jets have roughly 21m in space accumulated. They can probably add both right now, and easily could if Laine doesn't hit his 2m bonus for finishing top 10 in goals

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Jeez man, I am getting nervous. With the whole Ottawa management crew in town for a week it feels something huge could go down. There is just too much evidence of these two talking...a heckuva lot. You don't spend this much energy on something without some kind of result.

I just don't see how Stone and Duchene together would be prohibitively expensive and gut our prospect pool.....this scares me...

i am not even kidding..I am getting afraid.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Which winger are you trading to accommodate Stone, and why is he Connor?

Who are the possibles?
No one in the bottom 6 will have a big enough contract to make near enough difference.
Can't be a C, we have none to spare. Can't be Wheeler, if for no other reason, NMC. Can't be Laine because it would be selling low - and ..... Laine, are you kidding?
Leaves Ehlers and Connor. Ehlers is better and on a good contract. Connor will likely get more. If not next year then when his bridge expires in 2 years.
Gotta be Connor.

Also might have to be Perreault because Connor alone won't be enough if we get cap back for Trouba. Myers, Tanev, Chiarot and Morrow all have to walk.

Could be quite the turnover this off-season.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
We can fit it if we move Perreault and Ottawa has some retention.

IWe can afford either Stone or Duchesne with no retention providing we move a league minimum roster player (Petan) as part of any deal.

Adding a second Senator without retention would require an identical contract going the other way ($6 million-$$7.35 million) and only Byfuglien fits that bill, so yes major retention in the neighbourhood of $3 million would be required. Some money could be save if another Jet minimum salary roster piece (Lemieux, Appleton), but it wouldn't be much.

I'd say a deal for both would be unlikely.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Who are the possibles?
No one in the bottom 6 will have a big enough contract to make near enough difference.
Can't be a C, we have none to spare. Can't be Wheeler, if for no other reason, NMC. Can't be Laine because it would be selling low - and ..... Laine, are you kidding?
Leaves Ehlers and Connor. Ehlers is better and on a good contract. Connor will likely get more. If not next year then when his bridge expires in 2 years.
Gotta be Connor.

Also might have to be Perreault because Connor alone won't be enough if we get cap back for Trouba. Myers, Tanev, Chiarot and Morrow all have to walk.

Could be quite the turnover this off-season.
But why even trade Connor for Stone? If he wants to sign here he can easily do it in the offseason, I can see Roslovic are 1st plus picks/prospects + Perreault/Kulikov going the other way if Stone only wants to sign here, Ottawa doesn't have the leverage for a huge haul because they could only trade him for a rental makes sense to as its still early before trade deadline and they know Stone will only extend in Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad