Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm all for getting Stone, but I swear Manson has been a hot mess every time I've watched him play. If we were to trade Connor for him straight up I'd be calling for Chevy's resignation. That's Hall-Larsson level bad. Montour I could handle.

Hard to gauge with how bad the ducks have been but yeah that's a terrible deal for us. A shutdown D for a 30 goal scorer is embarrassingly bad return. Connor is not done developing either, not by a long shot. Manson is what Manson is.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Hard to gauge with how bad the ducks have been but yeah that's a terrible deal for us. A shutdown D for a 30 goal scorer is embarrassingly bad return. Connor is not done developing either, not by a long shot. Manson is what Manson is.

Yeah I'm actually wondering if Whilee may have confused him with Montour as I've done the same thing in the past. Manson being 27 and a shutdown D isn't appealing at all really. Connor for Lindholm would be closer in value than Connor for Manson in my mind.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Generally, if someone would "easily" do a trade, it means its lopsided. Perhaps swap Petan for Rosolovic
I think you swung too far in the other direction here. But I'm also a big Roslo supporter.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah I'm actually wondering if Whilee may have confused him with Montour as I've done the same thing in the past. Manson being 27 and a shutdown D isn't appealing at all really. Connor for Lindholm would be closer in value than Connor for Manson in my mind.

That would be a tough sell to Ducks fans. Trade your #1D for a 30 goal scorer. If we go after anyone's D it's likely someone form Carolina.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That would be a tough sell to Ducks fans. Trade your #1D for a 30 goal scorer. If we go after anyone's D it's likely someone form Carolina.
Oh I know, my point was more to show how far off Connor for Manson was. I don't think Connor for Lindholm would be fair for Anaheim.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A sens fan from the main boards thread

I've heard both Duchene and Stone's agents are meeting with him. He's staying in Winnipeg until Sunday from what I've heard. Has been here since last nights game. Taking in both Jets and Moose games.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh I know, my point was more to show how far off Connor for Manson was. I don't think Connor for Lindholm would be fair for Anaheim.

There seems to be a massive rush to trade Connor lately. Kids 22 and no where near done developing. He's not even close to finished product and has shown marked development every single year.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Generally, if someone would "easily" do a trade, it means its lopsided. Perhaps swap Petan for Rosolovic

Well, definitely. I’m not really interested in Pulju though I was only responding to the gentleman’s post.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
There seems to be a massive rush to trade Connor lately. Kids 22 and no where near done developing. He's not even close to finished product and has shown marked development every single year.
Agreed, love Connor and it would kill me to trade him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Give me a normal trade that makes sense for the long term too. Rentals don't qualify, do they?

I'm leaning towards the 'trade Connor for a Sanheim' camp. The defense needs to be addressed at some point.

I think Connor is worth a fair bit more than Sanheim. Connor for Pesce + looks more like the right value to me. Or maybe Connor + for Sanheim + Frost.

Trouba for Sanheim is another matter. Makes more sense for Philly because of their extreme L/R imbalance. Even a value diminished Trouba should be worth that and if his value has not dropped that much (say contract negotiated before trade, for example) then there should be an add from Philly.

I'm convinced that the circumstances will have affected Trouba's value - but it is very hard to gauge by how much. If the trade partner can work out an understanding ahead of time, he should be worth full value, or near enough it doesn't matter.

If we could do Connor for Pesce +, we would be free to just get the highest value for Trouba if we choose to go that way.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I think it's just that someone has to go if we sign Stone and somehow we need to replace Trouba if he won't sign long term. We have an embarassment of riches on the wing but, Wheeler has a NMC, Stone would have just signed, given the contract given out to Nylander Ehlers contract looks like a value deal, which means either Laine or Connor could be moved for that Trouba replacement. We have teams like Carolina that are on the record trying to move a RHD for forwards...

IMO if Stone signed long term you'd need to look at the asks for both players and shop them both to see what the returns looked like as one of them would need to go as a cap casualty. It's really hard to fathom trading Laine when his ceiling is a 6 foot 5 goal scoring machine. Nobody has accomplished what he has at his age so people speculate about Connor. Ehlers looks arguably better in his spot on the top line than he does and is only 1 year older.

I don't think anyone wants to trade Connor, but looking at the numbers we may be forced to trade a top 6 winger to make the cap work. Maybe it's Laine? Maybe it's Ehlers? Maybe it's Connor? Maybe we keep them all and don't sign Stone? The last one is probably most realistic but not as fun creating trade scenarios.

Reactions: kylbaz

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think it's just that someone has to go if we sign Stone and somehow we need to replace Trouba if he won't sign long term. We have an embarassment of riches on the wing but, Wheeler has a NMC, Stone would have just signed, given the contract given out to Nylander Ehlers contract looks like a value deal, which means either Laine or Connor could be moved for that Trouba replacement. We have teams like Carolina that are on the record trying to move a RHD for forwards...

IMO if Stone signed long term you'd need to look at the asks for both players and shop them both to see what the returns looked like as one of them would need to go as a cap casualty. It's really hard to fathom trading Laine when his ceiling is a 6 foot 5 goal scoring machine. Nobody has accomplished what he has at his age so people speculate about Connor. Ehlers looks arguably better in his spot on the top line than he does and is only 1 year older.

I don't think anyone wants to trade Connor, but looking at the numbers we may be forced to trade a top 6 winger to make the cap work. Maybe it's Laine? Maybe it's Ehlers? Maybe it's Connor? Maybe we keep them all and don't sign Stone? The last one is probably most realistic but not as fun creating trade scenarios.

True. I speculate as well but I lean towards moving Laine especially if we get Stone. Ehlers and Connor have both proven to be more effective on the left side. Stone is a RW and likely won't want to play left side if things go south for Laine. Plus Laine has significant value and may want a boat load for a contract. There's risk in moving any of those guys but I see Carolina overpaying heavily for a goalscorer, let alone one with a history of playing well with Aho. A Laine trade could make us look like idiots or genius' in retrospect. Don't think there will be any in between there.

Reactions: Total Cure

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I think that's a good plan. Stone and Connor aren't too far off and you're bringing back a great haul by trading Connor.
Really doubt it happens though. Fans would lose their poop as well lol.

I like Whilee's plan as well. Also agree that fans will lose their poop almost regardless of what happens but changes will have to happen with the cap. While Scheifele and Ehlers both signed sweetheart deals I'm not sure anyone should be counting on that happening again with any of our players. Laine's slump somewhat assures he'll be bridged. Since we'd likely have to bridge one of Connor or Laine that means Connor is facing negotiations for a longer term deal. Nothing against Connor at all but I just don't see another sweetheart deal working in Chevy's favor. Sure, I'd like Connor to sign an Ehlers-equivalent deal but I doubt it. So that pesky cap comes into play and we're likely going to have to move someone. I think you can legitimately debate who to keep between Connor and Ehlers and make an excellent case for either but Ehlers is already relatively "cost controlled" as it pertains to the cap.

There are a ton of moving parts beyond the trade deadline that will have to be dealt with in the next six months. I suspect some painful decisions will be made that most of us don't like very much.

Reactions: Daximus and kylbaz

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My offseason if we get a signed Stone

Trade Trouba to Florida for 1st 2019 + 2nd 2020 + Aleksi Heponiemi + Serron Noel

Trade Laine to Carolina for 1st 2019 +2nd 2020 + Brett Pesce + Martin Necas

Trade both 2019 1sts to move up in the draft and Get Bowen Byram

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The stuff about Ehlers going anywhere is pretty funny. Good, under contract players get traded around the draft. When the picks are known commodities, and teams can gamble on filling roster holes immediately.

Maybe I should never say never... but still

Make a list of the Jets least likely to be traded:
1. The untradeables due to NMC's - Wheeler, Little, Buff
2. Scheifele
3. Morrissey/Ehlers
4. Ehlers/Morrissey
5. Everybody else depending on return.
Maybe those 'untradeables' should be moved down to 4th place because they could waive. Unlikely as that may be it still might put them behind Scheifele, Morrissey & Ehlers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Anyone think that Comrie could be in the discussions with Ottawa as well? Free Press suggested that he was one person they might be looking into - that wouldn't hurt us that badly.

You don't normally expect much trade value for a goalie prospect but maybe he could be the add to put the deal over the top.

Another I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is Tanev. He is a pending UFA but probably wouldn't be too hard for a team to sign. As a rental he could be flipped. His value couldn't be too high but more than zero. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad