Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Copp is better than Lowry, just the old eye test reporting.

I'm literally refreshing Twitter and this thread every 20 mins... It's way too quiet today

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Is Copp beating Lowry at tilting the ice now? Adam doesn’t seem to be the same dominant player as last season.
I think so...lowrys taken a step back in offense compared to last year and copp seems to have taken a step forward. I think lowry is still a bit better defensively

RoyalsCoach1

Feb 18, 2019
We have to consider the the expansion draft coming as well. If we get Stone for anything less than a significant player and then sign him, we have to protect him during the expansion draft. That means another decent piece is going to be scooped up by Seattle unless we trade them some prospects and picks.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I bet that's the hold up, they most likely want a 1st, Comrie and Niku and Chevy probably wants to keep Niku and Samberg and insert Stanley in that trade instead. He must realize we need low cost players on ELC to come in next year and the year after, we don't have too many of those that are NHL ready on D.

I also have that feeling despite how our team is playing this is “the season”. I don’t want to sound defeatist at all but I don’t love moving forward with the base of our core being 3 young skilled wingers who don’t defend well.....an awesome scoring centre who doesn’t defend well....and one really nice top pairing D man. I feel like While we have Trouba here, while we have Buff kicking ass, and while a Wheeler is still a point producer we need to win a cup now. If a player like Stone could galvanize the 2nd line into a weapon that could be the margin in this insanely balanced league.

We don’t want to kill our future but we don’t need to be a Slave to the dogma of an annual plan.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Senators says they wont sit any of their free agent rentals this week, lets see how that goes for them, an injury could blow up any plans they may have and effect the franchise down the road.

Yeah, if trade deals are imminent, why take the risk this close to the deadline?

shoot-foot-150x150.jpg~c200

:facepalm:

Reactions: folix and Jets 31

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
We have to consider the the expansion draft coming as well. If we get Stone for anything less than a significant player and then sign him, we have to protect him during the expansion draft. That means another decent piece is going to be scooped up by Seattle unless we trade them some prospects and picks.

There’s been a scenario floated around here a couple times about moving Trouba for futures in the offseason to recoup what Stone cost and then potentially flipping Connor for a defenseman. Not sure how that may play out expansion wise though. The expansion is likely why Vesalainen is off the table(my guess) because he’ll be exempt I believe.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Senators says they wont sit any of their free agent rentals this week, lets see how that goes for them, an injury could blow up any plans they may have and effect the franchise down the road.

Could end up being the biggest mistake they ever make. One thing to be playing these guys if you were in a playoff race, but when you are last in the league and looking at a rebuild? Tell the players they either sign an extension or you are sitting them.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I also have that feeling despite how our team is playing this is “the season”. I don’t want to sound defeatist at all but I don’t love moving forward with the base of our core being 3 young skilled wingers who don’t defend well.....an awesome scoring centre who doesn’t defend well....and one really nice top pairing D man. I feel like While we have Trouba here, while we have Buff kicking ass, and while a Wheeler is still a point producer we need to win a cup now. If a player like Stone could galvanize the 2nd line into a weapon that could be the margin in this insanely balanced league.

We don’t want to kill our future but we don’t need to be a Slave to the dogma of an annual plan.

I’m in the same boat. All those skilled players but can’t defend well. Could be the death of us. Defense in the playoffs is a team effort. Not just on the defensemen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That would be classic Sens. Lose out on a top rental deal because they played their stars for a couple of meaningless games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They could always be pulled at the last minute if a trade is consummated.
If they have to trade them, they have to trade them. They won't be able to make a trade if the player has a significant injury.

Maybe they still think they have a chance to sign them, but if not, they are playing with fire.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed. Someone the other day sent me this “reminder” photo with stats. Not sure how accurate the stats are, but they were basically this:

At age 20 for the following players:

- Wheeler: 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points
- Scheifele: 13 goals, 21 assists, 34 points
- Laine: 105 goals, 65 assists, 170 points (and counting)

We have to remember that a 2 or 3 month slump shouldn’t (and won’t) define a player’s career. Heck, if Laine breaks out of his slump soon and starts a hot streak in the playoffs like he did in November, we’d be laughing!
Great post , those stats are unreal . How could Chevy explain trading Laine , unless we got a unbelievable offer and i don't think that will happen .

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If they have to trade them, they have to trade them. They won't be able to make a trade if the player has a significant injury.

Maybe they still think they have a chance to sign them, but if not, they are playing with fire.
Yes I know. I'm responding to Dreger's tweet where he says Stone etc. are expected to play tonight. My response is they could be pulled at the last minute if a trade is made. So the current expectation that they play tonight really has no meaning with regards to a trade.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Could end up being the biggest mistake they ever make. One thing to be playing these guys if you were in a playoff race, but when you are last in the league and looking at a rebuild? Tell the players they either sign an extension or you are sitting them.

Agreed, if your not going to get any of the players to sign an extension or don't want them to sign an extension then you have to sit them. Good luck explaining to your fan base that you can't trade injured assets and in all probability will lose them for nothing in free agency or worse yet you just got bent over and had to sign them to some crazy contract. Rebuilding teams don't hand out 8-9 m 8 year contracts.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
That would be classic Sens. Lose out on a top rental deal because they played their stars for a couple of meaningless games.

As I said in a previous post this could seriously cripple a team trying to rebuild, I don't wish any injury to anyone but they can happen at any time, if they have decided that they are getting rid of all there free agents I wouldn't even let them practice

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
As I said in a previous post this could seriously cripple a team trying to rebuild, I don't wish any injury to anyone but they can happen at any time, if they have decided that they are getting rid of all there free agents I wouldn't even let them practice
Stone didn't practice yesterday and I think that is a sign. Wouldn't surprise me to see Stone and the other guys get pulled from the lineup at the last minute tonight.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Totally agree , if we were in Ottawa's position , as a fan i be pissed that these guys were playing . They could get hurt in the warmup for cripes sake . :shakehead

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They scouted the Jets, Avs, Moose, Wolves and Milwaukee. Seems like an efficient use of time.

When was the last time you heard of that much high management, plus scouts, capologists, etc, spent the best part of a week visiting another team? It isn't even a case of a GM and a head scout, traveling different routes overlapping for a day.

This has been a full court press by Ottawa. It is very unusual. That doesn't guarantee anything happens, but you can be confident that something has been very close. Possibly something big. Of course, the bigger it is/was the more likely it would fall through.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
When was the last time you heard of that much high management, plus scouts, capologists, etc, spent the best part of a week visiting another team? It isn't even a case of a GM and a head scout, traveling different routes overlapping for a day.

This has been a full court press by Ottawa. It is very unusual. That doesn't guarantee anything happens, but you can be confident that something has been very close. Possibly something big. Of course, the bigger it is/was the more likely it would fall through.
Reports out of Ottawa said this has never happened before.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
There’s been a scenario floated around here a couple times about moving Trouba for futures in the offseason to recoup what Stone cost and then potentially flipping Connor for a defenseman. Not sure how that may play out expansion wise though. The expansion is likely why Vesalainen is off the table(my guess) because he’ll be exempt I believe.

Why would you trade Connor at all?

Just trade Trouba for a dman...

Trouba for Montour or Manson

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Stone didn't practice yesterday and I think that is a sign. Wouldn't surprise me to see Stone and the other guys get pulled from the lineup at the last minute tonight.

Sure can, again if they have decided that they are trading any of 3 of the soon to be free agents and not sitting whichever they are trading then they are a bunch of dummies running that organization.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm thinking this is a huge deal, possible Stone, Duchene, and Dzingle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad