Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure can, again if they have decided that they are trading any of 3 of the soon to be free agents and not sitting whichever they are trading then they are a bunch of dummies running that organization.
I would pull them out of the lineup just for the speculative frenzy it would create at this point. :laugh: But also to turn the screws a bit on trade partners. If everyone thinks Winnipeg is close (whether it's actually true or not), they might nudge a better offer out of someone else.

Reactions: Jets 31

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Totally agree , if we were in Ottawa's position , as a fan i be pissed that these guys were playing . They could get hurt in the warmup for cripes sake . :shakehead

Is Steve Mason playing for the Sens now?

I'm hoping for Calm Under Pressure Chevy. Hearing a recitation recently of frightening deals that the Jets "were in on" is making me hope that reason prevails over the next week. E.g., why would we be in on Dzingle?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
When was the last time you heard of that much high management, plus scouts, capologists, etc, spent the best part of a week visiting another team? It isn't even a case of a GM and a head scout, traveling different routes overlapping for a day.

This has been a full court press by Ottawa. It is very unusual. That doesn't guarantee anything happens, but you can be confident that something has been very close. Possibly something big. Of course, the bigger it is/was the more likely it would fall through.
I agree something is likely to happen, but there is an outside chance that they are just trying to drive up the asking price from another team for Stone, I bet there are other teams that would give up more that really want to win now. Not sure they would spend that much time in WPG just to do that but you never know.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Stone didn't practice yesterday and I think that is a sign. Wouldn't surprise me to see Stone and the other guys get pulled from the lineup at the last minute tonight.
Agreed. Stone can be pulled at the last minute if needed. Dorion also needs to maintain the illusion of business as usual at least this far out from the TD.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When was the last time you heard of that much high management, plus scouts, capologists, etc, spent the best part of a week visiting another team? It isn't even a case of a GM and a head scout, traveling different routes overlapping for a day.

This has been a full court press by Ottawa. It is very unusual. That doesn't guarantee anything happens, but you can be confident that something has been very close. Possibly something big. Of course, the bigger it is/was the more likely it would fall through.
They might have also been scouting: 1) Avs, 2) Nashville's AHL team (Tolvanen), 3) Vegas' AHL team. They all played at the MTS Centre during that block of time. Kill 4 birds with one trip.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Reports out of Ottawa said this has never happened before.

That would have been my guess. I can't remember ever hearing of anything like this. In any sport.

Makes me suspect they were contemplating something really big but that is probably just my imagination. But they traded Karlsson for a pretty big basket of lesser pieces without anything like this. When did they scout all of those returns for EK65? Were the negotiations just a few quick phone calls?

Its fun to fantasize about what it could be, but the reality is that nothing is the most likely outcome, or just a routine TD deal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would pull them out of the lineup just for the speculative frenzy it would create at this point. :laugh: But also to turn the screws a bit on trade partners. If everyone thinks Winnipeg is close (whether it's actually true or not), they might nudge a better offer out of someone else.
If the Jets are close, then pulling him out of the line-up might make Chevy think that they are even closer with another team.

I don't think that cloak and dagger works at this point among the GMs. It's all about negotiation and timing. Chevy knows what he's prepared to pay, and will stick with it until the pressure is maximized on Dorion. If he agrees to the price, then they'll make a deal, otherwise Chevy will move on.

The worst outcome for the Sens is to have a pending UFA go down with a significant injury and get nothing in return.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree something is likely to happen, but there is an outside chance that they are just trying to drive up the asking price from another team for Stone, I bet there are other teams that would give up more that really want to win now. Not sure they would spend that much time in WPG just to do that but you never know.
Also don't think Chevy would have been in that many discussions with Dorion if there wasn't something pretty big and tangible.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Are the Sens in any danger of failing to hit the cap floor if they trade Stone, Duchene and Dzingel for futures at the TDL? That might explain keeping them in the line-up for a few more games, too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm thinking this is a huge deal, possible Stone, Duchene, and Dzingle?

We would have to give up a lot, I mean a lot, to get all 3. I think we would need to sign at least 2 of them, maybe all 3 to get our money's worth.

Reactions: GNP

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I'm not very excited about Dzingel.

Me neither. Although that may have something to do with the fact that we’ve been speculating and hearing reports/rumours about us being after Stone and/or Duchene for some time now. So in comparison to Stone or Duchene, Dzingel isn’t all that exciting.

That being said, assuming Stone and Duchene aren’t options for us anymore (possibly due to the asking price or someone else snagging them instead), for the right price, I like Dzingel - he’s a great player and would definitely improve our team as a rental.

I will say this though (and this goes without saying I think): if we get Dzingel (and not Stone or Duchene), our cost of acquiring him better be way less than the cost of acquiring Stone or Duchene (but like I said, that should be a given).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

When we have something as unusual as this, it is hard to figure out because we don't have anything to compare to.

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
They might have also been scouting: 1) Avs, 2) Nashville's AHL team (Tolvanen), 3) Vegas' AHL team. They all played at the MTS Centre during that block of time. Kill 4 birds with one trip.

Yeah I was always under the impression it wasn’t just about scouting Winnipeg players Given who else we played (in both leagues)

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016

Ottawa not expected to sit anyone before the trade deadline.

This makes no sense, just 1 week before the trade deadline when you’ve got literally nothing to gain from this (and it’s a road game also - so it’s not like the organization can even argue that they’re doing this for their fans who paid for tickets at a home game). It’s a head-scratcher!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not very excited about Dzingel.

He has gradually been getting better every year. Kind of exploded this year. His underlying numbers don't look great. 16.7 sh%. I wonder what his PDO is. He sure seemed to be around the puck a lot Saturday, FWIW.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah I was always under the impression it wasn’t just about scouting Winnipeg players Given who else we played (in both leagues)

Fyi, this isn't about scouting. All teams have scouts that attend all level of hockey all year round. When the GM is in town for this long, he's here for business, a big deal that will be worked out in person.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Copp is better than Lowry, just the old eye test reporting.

I'm literally refreshing Twitter and this thread every 20 mins... It's way too quiet today

There's always collinearity issues when you have players that play together all the time. Statistical methods are best equipped to deal with said collinearity, but still imperfect.

download.png

The numbers essentially (going from right to left) say for the last three seasons:
  • similar impact in shot quantity defense
  • Copp slightly better impact in shot quality defense
  • similar impact in shot quantity offense
  • Lowry slightly better impact in shot quality offense
  • Copp slightly better impact in finishing
This season is a smaller sample but suggests something similar. Only difference are 1) Copp is doing better in shot quantity defense, 2) Lowry is doing better in shot quantity offense, 3) Copp is doing better in shot quality offense.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This makes no sense, just 1 weeks before the trade deadline when you’ve got literally nothing to gain from this (and it’s a road game also - so it’s not like the organization can even argue that they’re doing this for their fans who paid for tickets at a home game). It’s a head-scratcher!
Game hasn't started yet. Anyone could be pulled at the last minute.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
That would have been my guess. I can't remember ever hearing of anything like this. In any sport.

Makes me suspect they were contemplating something really big but that is probably just my imagination. But they traded Karlsson for a pretty big basket of lesser pieces without anything like this. When did they scout all of those returns for EK65? Were the negotiations just a few quick phone calls?

Its fun to fantasize about what it could be, but the reality is that nothing is the most likely outcome, or just a routine TD deal.
I believe Stone's agent is from Winnipeg, so that was likely another reason for the extended Winnipeg vacation for Dorion.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yup. Could be. But it is still very highly unusual - maybe unprecedented. And it just happened to come about while we are talking trade with them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup. Could be. But it is still very highly unusual - maybe unprecedented. And it just happened to come about while we are talking trade with them.
Not often a team is trading their 3 best players. Not sure if Dorion has something more important to do than figure out what he wants back for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad