Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
That wasn't a beard of any shape , i don't know what that was but it might have been filled with magic beans .:laugh:
The goofy bet that made the “beard” happen and the beard...maybe they put him in a good frame of mind last year. Not to say that he isn’t in a good frame of mind right now but taking things too seriously can be murder.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
duchene turned down 8x8 from ottawa and stone will get more than that and you would also need to ship connor out to make room for both players so subtract connor's points too.

You wouldn't ship Connor out -- you'd make up the difference by not signing Trouba, and "signing" Myers. Go a little weaker on right side defense.

A little to much backlash here, in trying to trade Laine off. ;)

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

So, Bo-- would you not make this trade ??

Laine - 120 point scorer in his prime -"maybe"------- $ 10 mil per year

FOR

Duchene - 100 point scorer ( pre-signed -6 years) ----- $ 8 mil per year
AND
Stone--- 80 point scorer ( pre-signed-6 years --- $ 7 mil per year

End result we get 60 more point production from the 2 players -- but we add $ 5mil extra to our Cap hit.

Are you telling me this would be a deal you wouldn't make ?? let me know ?? I think I'd make this deal, and unlike Chiarelli in Edmonton--I'd be getting something back.

Note--I don't believe this deal would happen, but if I was GM, and it came across my desk, you'd have to seriously look at it. Both Duchene and Stone would have to be pre-signed though for at least 6 years. How about you ?

If we deal Laine we're getting way better than that. We'd be getting a bunch of assets including a very good player/prospect or two on ELC who can make our roster, a mix of forward and D, draft picks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice seems to see things differently.
I think if Chevy doesn't bring in a vet then Morrow will remain in that 7 slot and that isn't great for us.

With 3 days off they should have sent Niku back down to let him play today.
Kid has spent so much time sitting in a pressbox this year.

True - but what to do? There is no guarantee that a new acquisition would be any better than Morrow or that he would be used if he is.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I personally would love to see a Laine , Scheif and Stone first line . Stone and Scheif might be exactly what the Doctor ordered to get Laine going . :thumbu:
Agreed. I'd love to see Stone and Scheifele together, and why not Laine with them? Stone's has a strong 5-5 game and takes some of the defensive pressure off the line.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If we deal Laine we're getting way better than that. We'd be getting a bunch of assets including a very good player/prospect or two on ELC who can make our roster, a mix of forward and D, draft picks.

I can see by various responses, it doesn't make much sense to discuss trading Laine, as everybody has very different opinions, and most are opposed to it. I hope that Laine will turn out to be at least as good as Scheifele.

Last edited:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
There is no right deal.
Any move where we trade a 20 year old Laine at the peak of his longest slump ever is a complete fail.
Let's see what 25 year old Laine with some man strength can do.

We're you not watching him play this time last year.
Feb / March 2018 Laine was DOMINANT.
And not just in scoring goals.
He was winning battles and creating for himself.

There was a stretch where he scored something like 75% of the goals over a 6 or 7 game stretch.
We won games with almost no one else on the team scoring.

Laine was the best Jet vs the Avs.
He's had several good games recently.

Trading Laine now should be grounds for immediate dismissal for Chevy.
Under your premise we should have traded Scheifele when he was 20 because he kept falling down and was never going to be a star player in the league.

I was sitting in the stands at MSG when he scored 100% of the goals in a 3-0 victory... He was the talk of the town before, during and after the game. Good times...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I can see by various responses, it doesn't make much sense to discuss trading Laine, as everybody has very different opinions, and most are opposed to it. I hope that Laine will turn out to be at least as good as Sceifele.
I don't know if Laine will be as good as Sceifele because i don't really know that player very well , Scheifele though he may have a chance . :laugh:

Reactions: folix

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

FOR

AND

End result we get 60 more point production from the 2 players -- but we add $ 5mil extra to our Cap hit.

Are you telling me this would be a deal you wouldn't make ?? let me know ?? I think I'd make this deal, and unlike Chiarelli in Edmonton--I'd be getting something back.

Note--I don't believe this deal would happen, but if I was GM, and it came across my desk, you'd have to seriously look at it. Both Duchene and Stone would have to be pre-signed though for at least 6 years. How about you ?

No I would not trade a 20 year old kid that has potential to be a generational scorer, because he has hit a rough patch in his development.

You will be kicking your self for years after, like I am sure Chiarelli is doing on trading Seguin and Hall

You keep Laine and you work on signing either in the offseason without giving up a scoring phenom.

Reactions: folix and Jets 31

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Fair!! I meant for a "superstar" an "elite" player.
Well to be honest

Not many superstar have scored 105 goals before they turn 21 so its hard to compare.

Anyways

Trading Laine is non starter for now.
Kid is being a good foot soldier.

Duchene and Stone would be nice but that would take a lot of moving parts for this team to make.

1 of them i think is enough.

Reactions: GNP

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed. I'd love to see Stone and Scheifele together, and why not Laine with them? Stone's has a strong 5-5 game and takes some of the defensive pressure off the line.
Exactly plus you put Little and Wheeler back together with either Ehlers or Connor as your 2nd line , Stanley Cup here we come . :nod::naughty:

Reactions: KingBogo

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

You wouldn't ship Connor out -- you'd make up the difference by not signing Trouba, and "signing" Myers. Go a little weaker on right side defense.

A little to much backlash here, in trying to trade Laine off. ;)

team.png

stone and duchene would make even more on the open market we would have nobody in the pressbox and have no tanev and copp and were still over the cap

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ottawa is saying they are playing all their players. Pulling them at the last minute would make things interesting that's for sure.

I would think that Dorion wants to send a message out there, that their still available, and the Jet's are not coming across with what he wants. A lot of mind games and positioning going on right now. It will be so interesting as to what finally happens here. Chevy is not the type to make quick emotional decisions. Mental battle going on here.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
It's not always the teams fault. Any player in the last year of their contract can tell their team " Let's talk after the season ". Happens all the time and the Sens could very well have been trying for a long time.

Look at the Jets. Tanev, Myers, Chairot are all UFAs and haven't signed a new contract. Copp is unsigned , same with Laine and Conner. So you could ask, why is Chevy waiting? All these players could have been signed already or they told Chevy to wait until the season is over.

The only difference is Stone and Duchene are top flight players, but the situation is the same.

Except that the situation most assuredly is not the same - you can not compare a player on Chiarot’s level to one like Duchene.

What happened is, Dorian thought his team could make the playoffs and keeping the assets he had made sense based on that belief. His team is in fact the worst team in the league to date, and at the trade deadline that means the decisions he made at the start of the season are going to hurt him.

Reactions: GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well to be honest

Not many superstar have scored 105 goals before they turn 21 so its hard to compare.

Anyways

Trading Laine is non starter for now.
Kid is being a good foot soldier.

Duchene and Stone would be nice but that would take a lot of moving parts for this team to make.

1 of them i think is enough.
You just took the question and wrote about something completely off-topic. I asked about droughts and you talk about what he's done before that. I don't care if he's scored 200 puts as it didn't answer my question. I genuinely wanted to know what the longest drought was for elite players.
Like if Crosby had gone 20 games was record before. If Ovie went 15. An academic question.
Also been a good foot soldier? A good foot soldier compensates for lack of scoring by being the 1st into corners and trying to contribute in other ways till he gets going scoring again. Now Tanev there's a good foot soldier.
Instead I see Laine floating and trying to get into scoring positions not focusing on rest of game.
Trading Laine for rentals is foolish if Buffalo offers Dahlin right now or this off-season is a great time to trade him.

Last edited:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Stone would've been a great replacement for Wheeler... makes zero sense to go after him now. We've got major holes on the blueline, 2C opening up in 1-3 years and they're going to spend assets on another expensive winger? WTF? Chevy & Maurice are going to piss away this team's window.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I look at the situation Ottawa is in with Stone, Duchene, and Dzingel and to me that would be very disappointing if we were to follow the same path. The return on Trouba now would be significantly better then next year. I fully expect us to keep him though I am just wondering if they have potentially thought about it behind the scenes or not.

Getting a better draft pick or a higher ranked prospect does nothing to help our Cup chances this year.

Reactions: Flair Hay and GNP

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
True - but what to do? There is no guarantee that a new acquisition would be any better than Morrow or that he would be used if he is.

Well it's up to Chevy and the scouts to find the diamond in the rough.
If they can't improve on the depth then they won't do anything.
It's not impossible to think that we could get a better player than this years Morrow.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Still goes back to Maurice not wanting to match Laine up against the other teams best players.
The same reason he won't play Laine with S & W is why he wouldn't play him with S & S.
At home you probably could get away with it as we dictate the match up to start.

Laine - Little - Stone is likely the best we'll see for Laine.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

FOR

AND

Ask yourself, if Patrik Laine was currently on a heater, like his November heater, are you posting this trade or not even remotely considering trading Laine?

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad