Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

That's a deal that you'd have to look at, however Laine is a goal scorer, and will likely score more goals, so I'd probably gamble on Laine and hope he turns out. So, I think I'd keep Laine over Marner -- but you'd have to really think it thru. Laine is far behind Marner right now in his developement, and Marner is a better playmaker and skater --who will likely be wanting $ 10 mil per year.

BUT

2 "pre-signed" and extended players like Stone and Duchene for Laine --you'd have to think seriosly about letting Laine go. It only makes sense.

Sorry, cannot agree with you there.

You can get players like Stone and Duchene for free, why give up a team owned asset?

Makes no sense. IF I was to trade Patrik Laine, it would be for a young budding superstar, because that is what he is. Mitch Marner might not score as much as Laine but he is a more complete player. Some people are hinting he might end up being better than Matthews (which I don't really see, but who knows)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So, I am not advocating trading Patrik Laine. I still love him, I see the potential, and I know he possesses generational scoring.

BUT

If the Leafs offered Mitch Marner for Laine straight up, would you do it?

Was going to say the usual 'in a heartbeat'. But honestly, it requires a little thought. Is Marner even a C in the NHL? He isn't for Leafs. How's his D zone play? Or a better question, how promising is it? How much is he going to get in his next contract? Etc.

I probably do it, but I would be a lot less certain of that if Laine had 40 G so far this season. If Marner is a C - yes, I do it.

Reactions: Jet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
What is the longest drought?

IIRC, in recent years Mathews and McDavid have hit or neared double digits, Seguin and Pavelski have made it to 12, even Ovid has pockets of 6 or so. More and longer if you go back further. Then there’s Orpik at 220 plus.

I don’t think there’s some magic number that indicates eternal futility. And I think more can be done in Pates case. I don’t think you dump him for a rental. Esp not Duchene who had his own low scoring streak just last year.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Id consider trading Laine but i think you could get more at the draft for him.. Likely a 2019 1st young RHD, and others.

At the draft..

Bet Carolina would love to have him and Aho together .

1st pesce (replaces trouba) Necas, Svechnikov? Maybe another piece (Jake Bean??)

Yeah.. U don't trade him for 16 plus million in cap.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes, but what does marner have to do with this at all? He might be better than stone and laine
I am playing devils advocate.

People are saying that any Laine trade is ridiculous. I am saying they are wrong. Laine is not Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby. He is not Connor McDavid. He is a superstar in the making but not generational. The NHL is currently blessed with several players of Laines calibre and potential.

Reactions: GNP

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Doesn't anyone wonder -why did the Sens let this happen in the 1st place ? A decision should have been made last season on these 3 players ??

It's not always the teams fault. Any player in the last year of their contract can tell their team " Let's talk after the season ". Happens all the time and the Sens could very well have been trying for a long time.

Look at the Jets. Tanev, Myers, Chairot are all UFAs and haven't signed a new contract. Copp is unsigned , same with Laine and Conner. So you could ask, why is Chevy waiting? All these players could have been signed already or they told Chevy to wait until the season is over.

The only difference is Stone and Duchene are top flight players, but the situation is the same.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Was going to say the usual 'in a heartbeat'. But honestly, it requires a little thought. Is Marner even a C in the NHL? He isn't for Leafs. How's his D zone play? Or a better question, how promising is it? How much is he going to get in his next contract? Etc.

I probably do it, but I would be a lot less certain of that if Laine had 40 G so far this season. If Marner is a C - yes, I do it.
I agree, you are still really betting on these players - almost like who to draft - they are just a little more fully formed.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I am playing devils advocate.

People are saying that any Laine trade is ridiculous. I am saying they are wrong. Laine is not Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby. He is not Connor McDavid. He is a superstar in the making but not generational. The NHL is currently blessed with several players of Laines calibre and potential.
Theres a difference in marner and Stone and I think it's pretty large.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well thats Dumber cuz lets say Laine gets 8.5 if he goes long term but likely a bridge at 6 7 is more likely.

Stone plus Duchene = probably. Lets just say 16 million for both. If u are lucky.

So we've moved out Laine currently on ELC... But lets say 8.5 next season but brought in 16 million.

So Myers goes.. Tanev, kulikov. Thats about 8.5 million there.

Now, 7.5 more to go...

Connor? Ehlers? Trouba but hes not making enough currently.

Just GUTS the team big time.

Not a chance, plus LOL at Ottawa willing to pay Laine.

Your numbers are full of holes. It isn't even remotely close to that simple. Yes, the 2 of them cost more than Laine. Space would have to be made.

Edit: The better point is, why pay a large price for them. If they want to sign here, do it in the off-season.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You are bringing in 16 million in cap tho. Like Where is the logic.. U don't trade 20 year old stars for trade deadline acquisitions unless u wanna tank. Seriously. You're Fired.

Don't fire me that soon JetBlue :) -- your right I'm bringing in a $ 16 mil cap hit -- but not really --you have to "subtract" what you'd have to sign Laine for --say $ 9 mil. So the net Cap hit is $ 16 mil - ( minus) $ 9mil= $ 7 mil for a Cap hit. So you increase you Cap hit by $ 7 mil, and get 2 star players. You don't resign Trouba, and your even.

I'm just saying that no player is untradeable -- it depends on the deal, however I do appreciate what your saying , in that we have a potential young Super Star here, but you have to look at the whole deal, no matter which player we're talking about.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's a deal that you'd have to look at, however Laine is a goal scorer, and will likely score more goals, so I'd probably gamble on Laine and hope he turns out. So, I think I'd keep Laine over Marner -- but you'd have to really think it thru. Laine is far behind Marner right now in his developement, and Marner is a better playmaker and skater --who will likely be wanting $ 10 mil per year.

BUT

2 "pre-signed" and extended players like Stone and Duchene for Laine --you'd have to think seriosly about letting Laine go. It only makes sense.

But - here we are, still talking about Laine trades. It really is not going to happen. Not that it couldn't, but it isn't.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Theres a difference in marner and Stone and I think it's pretty large.
And...

Again, I am responding to those who think that Patrik Laine is untradeable.

TO BE CLEAR, I DON'T WANT TO TRADE HIM :DD (just making sure everyone knows)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And...

Again, I am responding to those who think that Patrik Laine is untradeable.

TO BE CLEAR, I DON'T WANT TO TRADE HIM :DD (just making sure everyone knows)
Sorry I meant I'm not trading Laine to Ottawa for Stone Not that he's untradeable as a whole

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
People are saying that any Laine trade is ridiculous.
Not everyone is. ;)

There are trades that would make sense - I just don't see them currently in this thread, and I certainly wouldn't entertain a trade just because he's "at his peak". That last bit is highly unlikely.

Just addressing some other points made here.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not everyone is. ;)

There are trades that would make sense - I just don't see them currently in this thread, and I certainly wouldn't entertain a thread just because he's "at his peak". That last bit is highly unlikely.

Just addressing some other points made here.
Totally!

Would you trade Patty for Mitch straight up? :naughty:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The only way Laine gets traded to Ottawa

- It would be that Ottawa doesn't believe Laine has fallen off the cliff and will be a consistent 40 goal scorer so they really want him.

- And the Jets believe that Laine has fallen off the cliff and they are trying to get the most for him before the rest of the NHL comes to this realization.

Because, in a league where 40 goal scores aren't happening every day, you do not trade one away when you have one. IMO, if Chevy trade Laine to any team, it's because Chevy is moving to that team to become their GM.

Reactions: Jets 31

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I would like the Jets to do nothing until next summer.
Ottawa wants too much now that we don’t want to give up.
Next summer with shuffling of the $$ then bring in UFA Stone.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I don't know why you'd say this ?? Laine right now is a one dimensional hockey player, and he's been that way for the last 2 years. He's basically a goal scoring machine that you don't have to plug in -- " he's no superstar by any means" -- and if the right deal came along I'd let him go. You have to put this in perspective.

Note--for the last 2 months he's not even a lower end scorer, and costing the team goals. I hope this will change, and I don't think the Jets would trade him, but if the "right deal" came around -- Laine could be traded.

There is no right deal.
Any move where we trade a 20 year old Laine at the peak of his longest slump ever is a complete fail.
Let's see what 25 year old Laine with some man strength can do.

We're you not watching him play this time last year.
Feb / March 2018 Laine was DOMINANT.
And not just in scoring goals.
He was winning battles and creating for himself.

There was a stretch where he scored something like 75% of the goals over a 6 or 7 game stretch.
We won games with almost no one else on the team scoring.

Laine was the best Jet vs the Avs.
He's had several good games recently.

Trading Laine now should be grounds for immediate dismissal for Chevy.
Under your premise we should have traded Scheifele when he was 20 because he kept falling down and was never going to be a star player in the league.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
interesting that Comrie doesn't get today's start after yesterday's performance. Berdin with the shutout so far, mind you...

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
There is no right deal.
Any move where we trade a 20 year old Laine at the peak of his longest slump ever is a complete fail.
Let's see what 25 year old Laine with some man strength can do.

Trading Laine now should be grounds for immediate dismissal for Chevy
Under your premise we should have traded Scheifele when he was 20 because he kept falling down and was never going to be a star player in the league.

I agree with a lot of your points here Zham, and that's why Chevy would not trade Laine, unless the deal was to good to say no to. His job would be on the line. Chances are, it's not going to happen. As you say, he likely will turn out to be another Scheifele, so the Jet's will be patient and wait him out.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
There’s no way Laine gets traded

It’s not the Jets style. You guys seriously think this organization that preaches paitience, development and looking at the big picture is going to trade their young, record setting lottery gift?

We can bet Chevy has a fair offer, and it’s up to the Sens to say yay or nay

Chevy has a very good pulse on this team. We are lucky we have him for a GM. He's one of the very best at his job and is one of the reasons our franchise isn't in the situation Edmonton or Ottawa is in.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Who's this years Morrow?
Regardless of what happens with Ottawa (or any other big move we make) I think the Jets will make a small move to add depth on the blue line. Mind you I'm not suggesting the elusive 2LD to play with Buff because that costs quite a bit.

1) they can look at a soon to be UFA veteran for experience and depth.
2) perhaps a player with an expiring RFA contract. Someone they could choose to re-sign depending on how things shake out with Trouba, Myers and Chiarot in the summer.

Teams have gone 10 - 12 deep on the blueline to get to the finals.
When everyone is healthy that leaves - Morrow, Niku, Poolman, Schilling, Nogier and a couple of other warm bodies as options.

Do any of you see value in a player to slot in ahead of Morrow that could be had for a low pick?

Reactions: ps241

CaptainUgly

27 Time World Champions
Apr 22, 2018
Seems like Trouba wants out why not get creative and dangle his name in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad