Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is no right deal.
Any move where we trade a 20 year old Laine at the peak of his longest slump ever is a complete fail.
Let's see what 25 year old Laine with some man strength can do.

We're you not watching him play this time last year.
Feb / March 2018 Laine was DOMINANT.
And not just in scoring goals.
He was winning battles and creating for himself.

There was a stretch where he scored something like 75% of the goals over a 6 or 7 game stretch.
We won games with almost no one else on the team scoring.

Laine was the best Jet vs the Avs.
He's had several good games recently.

Trading Laine now should be grounds for immediate dismissal for Chevy.
Under your premise we should have traded Scheifele when he was 20 because he kept falling down and was never going to be a star player in the league.

We are talking hypotheticals here. The assumption is that somebody offers to pay according to Laine's potential, not his recent performance. I see that as unlikely in the extreme. I mean really unlikely x10. But in an imaginary world, if we got the right offer, he would be tradeable.

This particular example assumed Duchene and Stone having agreed to acceptable contracts. It also completely ignored the possibility of signing them July 1. Given those assumptions it is not unreasonable value, a 1b C plus an outstanding all around 1RW, both in their primes.

If Laine had just picked up where he left off last year, meaning he would have 40 G already, heading for 50 or more, I'm not sure I would do that deal. The rationale for doing so would be to win 1 or more cups over the next 4-5 years. The alternative would be to continue building around our young core, including 50 G Laine and win 1 or more cups over the next 10 years. I think it would be a tough choice. Which way is more likely to produce 1 cup? Which way is more likely to produce more than 1 cup?

However, none of those assumptions exist. Duchene and Stone are not signed and are not likely to be. They likely will be available in the summer. And Laine has not picked up from where he left off last year.

Reactions: GNP

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
WOW --I can see there's a lot of arm chair GM's that are in love with Laine ?? but if you get 2 "established stars" for him, I think you make that deal.

And thank the high heavens u are not our GM. With such shortsightedness we would be the Oilers in a heartbeat

Reactions: Huffer and nhlpro

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
Because we need him for this year's playoffs and who knows if push comes to shove he may be an own rental next year.

I look at the situation Ottawa is in with Stone, Duchene, and Dzingel and to me that would be very disappointing if we were to follow the same path. The return on Trouba now would be significantly better then next year. I fully expect us to keep him though I am just wondering if they have potentially thought about it behind the scenes or not.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I look at the situation Ottawa is in with Stone, Duchene, and Dzingel and to me that would be very disappointing if we were to follow the same path. The return on Trouba now would be significantly better then next year. I fully expect us to keep him though I am just wondering if they have potentially thought about it behind the scenes or not.
trouba still has 1 RFA year left. he will have tremendous value this summer and the acquiring team will still have sole negotiating rights

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
trouba still has 1 RFA year left. he will have tremendous value this summer and the acquiring team will still have sole negotiating rights

I understand that I’m just saying if we keep him for our playoff run next year as a “rental”

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who's this years Morrow?
Regardless of what happens with Ottawa (or any other big move we make) I think the Jets will make a small move to add depth on the blue line. Mind you I'm not suggesting the elusive 2LD to play with Buff because that costs quite a bit.

1) they can look at a soon to be UFA veteran for experience and depth.
2) perhaps a player with an expiring RFA contract. Someone they could choose to re-sign depending on how things shake out with Trouba, Myers and Chiarot in the summer.

Teams have gone 10 - 12 deep on the blueline to get to the finals.
When everyone is healthy that leaves - Morrow, Niku, Poolman, Schilling, Nogier and a couple of other warm bodies as options.

Do any of you see value in a player to slot in ahead of Morrow that could be had for a low pick?

I already see Schilling and Niku as ahead of Morrow on the left. Niku and Poolman on the right. If we are healthy Nogier would be 11. TBH, I would sign Stoykewich to an NHL contract and slot him ahead of Morrow too. Even though Morrow was pretty good a couple of games ago. That has just been too rare an occurrence. Why pay even a small price with the depth we have available?

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
He’s one of the core assets of a multi-million dollar business. They would have to had thought about it. There are probably some pretty standard tools used by businesses that could be applied to these situations.

Reactions: CaptainUgly

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Soooooo , any news on what really might happen ? Is Stone a Jet yet ? I read on Ottawa's board that a Stone deal was done with the Jets in principal but Ottawa was still hoping they could get Stone signed as well .

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
And thank the high heavens u are not our GM. With such shortsightedness we would be the Oilers in a heartbeat

So, Bo-- would you not make this trade ??

Laine - 120 point scorer in his prime -"maybe"------- $ 10 mil per year

FOR

Duchene - 100 point scorer ( pre-signed -6 years) ----- $ 8 mil per year
AND
Stone--- 80 point scorer ( pre-signed-6 years --- $ 7 mil per year

End result we get 60 more point production from the 2 players -- but we add $ 5mil extra to our Cap hit.

Are you telling me this would be a deal you wouldn't make ?? let me know ?? I think I'd make this deal, and unlike Chiarelli in Edmonton--I'd be getting something back.

Note--I don't believe this deal would happen, but if I was GM, and it came across my desk, you'd have to seriously look at it. Both Duchene and Stone would have to be pre-signed though for at least 6 years. How about you ?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I already see Schilling and Niku as ahead of Morrow on the left. Niku and Poolman on the right. If we are healthy Nogier would be 11. TBH, I would sign Stoykewich to an NHL contract and slot him ahead of Morrow too. Even though Morrow was pretty good a couple of games ago. That has just been too rare an occurrence. Why pay even a small price with the depth we have available?

Maurice seems to see things differently.
I think if Chevy doesn't bring in a vet then Morrow will remain in that 7 slot and that isn't great for us.

With 3 days off they should have sent Niku back down to let him play today.
Kid has spent so much time sitting in a pressbox this year.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

FOR

AND

End result we get 60 more point production from the 2 players -- but we add $ 5mil extra to our Cap hit.

Are you telling me this would be a deal you wouldn't make ?? let me know ?? I think I'd make this deal, and unlike Chiarelli in Edmonton--I'd be getting something back.

Note--I don't believe this deal would happen, but if I was GM, and it came across my desk, you'd have to seriously look at it. Both Duchene and Stone would have to be pre-signed though for at least 6 years. How about you ?
duchene turned down 8x8 from ottawa and stone will get more than that and you would also need to ship connor out to make room for both players so subtract connor's points too.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

FOR

AND

Those contracts for Duchene and Stone aren't anywhere near realistic.
8.5 to 10 million each on the open market likely.
You're about 5 million shy on your estimates.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016

FOR

AND

You have Stones and Duchenes point totals if we trade Laine.... But if we Keep Liane, You only have his point totals... How about the other player that takes Duchenes spot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad