Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Seriously. Like, people suggesting Laine trades need to be kept as far away as possible for positions involving decision making. Terrible concept.
That's silly for the right guy anyone's tradeable. Barkov and a 1st. Connor McDavid 1 for 1 with Edm retaining.

Reactions: Jet and GNP

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That's silly for the right guy anyone's tradeable. Barkov and a 1st. Connor McDavid 1 for 1 with Edm retaining.

Neither of those would happen though - that's unrealistic. My comment above was about Laine not progressing beyond where he is today and bailing on him, not specifically if there were a deal that could be done that provided value for the Jets.

Any further discussion about Laine trades should probably be moved to his thread - it's going to get buried in the speculation taking place in here for the next few days. ;)

WOW --I can see there's a lot of arm chair GM's that are in love with Laine ?? but if you get 2 "established stars" for him, I think you make that deal.

I believe you're sitting in your own armchair too, yes? ;)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Neither of those would happen though - that's unrealistic. My comment above was about Laine not progressing beyond where he is today and bailing on him, not specifically if there were a deal that could be done that provided value for the Jets.

Any further discussion about Laine trades should probably be moved to his thread - it's going to get buried in the speculation taking place in here for the next few days. ;)
Just saying anyone is moveable for right price not that I can see us being offered something that would make moving Laine worth it. Also I wasn't replying to your comment I was replying to another poster who made moving Laine beyond the unthinkable.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You don't want me doing your job Mort :laugh: that complicated Cap stuff is for great minds like yours to figure out. I'll assure you --"if there's a will -- there's a way."

Yes, there is a way. It probably would mean Connor going too. But that may need to happen anyway to replace Trouba. And then there is Trouba going, but that is not new.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't know why you'd say this ?? Laine right now is a one dimensional hockey player, and he's been that way for the last 2 years. He's basically a goal scoring machine that you don't have to plug in -- " he's no superstar by any means" -- and if the right deal came along I'd let him go. You have to put this in perspective.

Note--for the last 2 months he's not even a lower end scorer, and costing the team goals. I hope this will change, and I don't think the Jets would trade him, but if the "right deal" came around -- Laine could be traded.

It is just so unlikely it isn't even worth bringing up. Although I think I may have myself a couple of weeks ago. :laugh:

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary

I don't know why you'd say this ?? Laine right now is a one dimensional hockey player, and he's been that way for the last 2 years. He's basically a goal scoring machine that you don't have to plug in -- " he's no superstar by any means" -- and if the right deal came along I'd let him go. You have to put this in perspective.

Note--for the last 2 months he's not even a lower end scorer, and costing the team goals. I hope this will change, and I don't think the Jets would trade him, but if the "right deal" came around -- Laine could be traded.

I'm just going to quote you "He's basically a goal scoring machine "

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Search "NHL hockey" (and even star of superstar) and "goalless drought/streak" -- and watch the headlines roll, including names like Crosby, Stamkos, Matthews, McDavid...

Then note how often in those articles authors note that the goals just aren't coming, that players are working hard or seeming to fight the puck, look off their games, dejected body language -- most if not all of the stuff we see about Laine over the past month or so. It happens. Even the best scorers are streaky. But not many of those best scorers are 20. And nearly all of them broke out of it. As Laine will.

With Laine it has been 2.5 months +. How many of those other droughts lasted that long?

I'm inclined to agree with you but this drought is epic. I keep expecting it to end with a bang, but it keeps getting worse.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Doesn't anyone wonder -why did the Sens let this happen in the 1st place ? A decision should have been made last season on these 3 players ??

I don't think that is an accurate way to frame this. They have been trying to sign them all along.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think that is an accurate way to frame this. They have been trying to sign them all along.

I wondered about that ?? and if your right, and I'm sure you are, that must mean that these 2 players just don't want to resign in Ottawa, which is good for the Jets. I think it's very much like the Trouba situation for Winnipeg. He just doesn't want to be here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I wondered about that ?? and if your right, and I'm sure you are, that must mean that these 2 players just don't want to resign in Ottawa, which is good for the Jets. I think it's very much like the Trouba situation for Winnipeg. He just doesn't want to be here.

That's probably fair - though it could be just a matter of Ottawa needing to offer a better deal too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine for 2 rentals is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

If u want to trade Laine, i wouldn't hes 20 FFS, u do it at the draft for a package that helps us keep the cap down a bit but restock if you will. 2 rentals? You're Fiiiiiirrreed .

I think he specified that they be signed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
brutal brutal, the Jets aren't trading Laine.

do you remember when a young Tyler Seguin was traded? The return included a 27 year old perennial 70 pt 2 way winger.. who won that trade in the long run?

So, I am not advocating trading Patrik Laine. I still love him, I see the potential, and I know he possesses generational scoring.

BUT

If the Leafs offered Mitch Marner for Laine straight up, would you do it?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Laine for 2 rentals is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

If u want to trade Laine, i wouldn't hes 20 FFS, u do it at the draft for a package that helps us keep the cap down a bit but restock if you will. 2 rentals? You're Fiiiiiirrreed .

Let's add a little "clarity" to this -- my post said 2 "presigned" rentals -- not just rentals, but 2 players pre-agreeing to resign ( 6yrs) with the Jets at a specified amount. Let's be clear here --these aren't everyday rentals. Both these guys are Top 15 in NHL scoring right now, and Duchene was Top 10 for awhile, however he was injured for about 12 games.

That's a deal you'd have to look at seriously. These 2 players collectively will score a lot more points and goals, that just Patricfk Laine by himself. These 2 guys will score about 180 -190 points this year, combined. There's no doubt. Laine would have to score 200 points to match the production of these 2 players.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think he specified that they be signed.

Lets say Laine gets 8.5 if he goes long term but likely a bridge at 6 7 is more likely.

Stone plus Duchene = probably. Lets just say 16 million for both. If u are lucky.

So we've moved out Laine currently on ELC... But lets say 8.5 next season but brought in 16 million.

So Myers goes.. Tanev, kulikov. Thats about 8.5 million there.

Now, 7.5 more to go...

Connor? Ehlers? Trouba but hes not making enough currently.

Just GUTS the team big time.

Not a chance, plus LOL at Ottawa willing to pay Laine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Let's add a little "clarity" to this -- my post said 2 "presigned" rentals -- not just rentals, but 2 players pre-agreeing to resign ( 6yrs) with the Jets at a specified amount. Let's be clear here --these aren't everyday rentals. Both these guys are Top 15 in NHL scoring right now, and Duchene was Top 10 for awhile, however he was injured for about 12 games.

That's a deal you'd have to look at seriously. These 2 players collectively will score a lot more points and goals, that just Patricfk Laine by himself. These 2 guys will score about 180 -190 points this year, combined. There's no doubt. Laine would have to score 200 points to match the production of these 2 players.

You are bringing in 16 million in cap tho. Like Where is the logic.. U don't trade 20 year old stars for trade deadline acquisitions unless u wanna tank. Seriously. You're Fired.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So, I am not advocating trading Patrik Laine. I still love him, I see the potential, and I know he possesses generational scoring.

BUT

That's a deal that you'd have to look at, however Laine is a goal scorer, and will likely score more goals, so I'd probably gamble on Laine and hope he turns out. So, I think I'd keep Laine over Marner -- but you'd have to really think it thru. Laine is far behind Marner right now in his developement, and Marner is a better playmaker and skater --who will likely be wanting $ 10 mil per year.

BUT

2 "pre-signed" and extended players like Stone and Duchene for Laine --you'd have to think seriosly about letting Laine go. It only makes sense.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

BUT

Yes, but what does marner have to do with this at all? He might be better than stone and laine

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
You are bringing in 16 million in cap tho. Like Where is the logic.. U don't trade 20 year old stars for trade deadline acquisitions unless u wanna tank. Seriously. You're Fired.
Try closer to 20 million in aav. With close to 40 million in signing bonuses in 1 year. Isn't happening in a million years. We are looking for a rental and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad