Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
  • Friedman says oilers have to do some dancing
  • Oilers are trying to move Campbell hard
  • Believes Oilers might sign a GM who has been around for a while or has been a GM before. He mentions Jason Botterill
  • Balls in Carolina’s court with Guentzel. May get done by tomorrow (f*** you Vancouver)
  • Believes Edmonton Calgary Seattle are in on Debrusk

Why didn’t Boob ask more about Edmonton and rumours instead fawning over Holland

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The weird thing about the signing is, even immediately after Campbell was signed, I have never actually heard Ken Holland say a single thing that he likes about the player. If you go back and listen to his interviews about the Campbell signing, Holland always starts the same way: we knew Mike Smith and Koskinen weren't coming back, Stu was going to be backup so we really needed an experienced starter, there were 3-4 guys on the market with a track record as a starter (I've assumed he means Husso, Campbell, and Kuemper), and we didn't really know what we would do if we didn't sign one of those guys.

Holland had also tried for Markstrom, Kuemper, and others previously and struck out. Campbell was good friends with Barrie, Ceci, and Hyman, so I think we knew pretty well that we had him in the bag. I don't think Campbell was ever the starting goalie that they loved, but they had a glaring hole and he was the guy they thought they could get.
I hear you but it just wasnt nearly good enough for a team with SC aspirations.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
  • Believes Oilers might sign a GM who has been around for a while or has been a GM before. He mentions Jason Botterill
  • Balls in Carolina’s court with Guentzel. May get done by tomorrow (f*** you Vancouver)

Why didn’t Boob ask more about Edmonton and rumours instead fawning over Holland

When I first saw Jason Botterill, I was like HELL NO just from his time on the Sabres, but then looking at his trade history, he's actually been pretty decent in the trades department. He didn't overpay for any of the players he acquired, and he tried making Buffalo competitive.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
When I first saw Jason Botterill, I was like HELL NO just from his time on the Sabres, but then looking at his trade history, he's actually been pretty decent in the trades department. He didn't overpay for any of the players he acquired, and he tried making Buffalo competitive.
Did you have a chance to look at his drafting? Wonder how that was

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Did you have a chance to look at his drafting? Wonder how that was
d6c4557532c8a14f3f7e3b8a3b4a6ab1.png

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My takes on the aforementioned mentioned players were bang on and constructive criticism is what helped them get to where they are currently, that along with their hard work and dedication to rounding out their games.

Hyman certainly isn't the player he was during the first three quarters of his first season with the Oilers and Bouchard is no longer the soft indecisive player that had major shortcomings defensively.

Being a fanboy hinders, it does not help. Maybe one day you'll figure it out. I hope so.
Constructive criticism, that's cap, you advocated trading him 100's of times over, stated he was either bad or simply not good enough to ever be part of the equation of a winning Stanley Cup team. If you believed in the player you would of advocated patience while critiquing him as I did, I also said the guy had top 5 offensive d-man in the league kind of upside when not a single other person on this board was saying the same thing. I was fully cognizant of his strengths and his warts and what I thought could be fixed with time.

Nothing you did helped anything, Bouchard was not in here reading your posts, a quality prospect simply matured and evolved his game in a way and manner you were not capable of comprehending.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Wasn’t Botterill awful in Buffalo.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Constructive criticism, that's cap, you advocated trading him 100's of times over, stated he was either bad or simply not good enough to ever be part of the equation of a winning Stanley Cup team. If you believed in the player you would of advocated patience while critiquing him as I did, I also said the guy had top 5 offensive d-man in the league kind of upside when not a single other person on this board was saying the same thing. I was fully cognizant of his strengths and his warts and what I thought could be fixed with time.

Nothing you did helped anything, Bouchard was not in here reading your posts, a quality prospect simply matured and evolved his game in a way and manner you were not capable of comprehending.
He actually thinks his posting was like personally coaching Bouchard up. Lol.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

No it was definitely all the hf constructive criticism that made Bouchard into an elite player.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Going from Holland to Botterill would be a huge downgrade.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I agree that he’s not that bad, and was VERY highly regarded in Pittsburgh before he moved over there. He got lots of credit for their championship teams.

Similar to the decade of darkness Oilers, some teams just can’t find a way not matter what, and that was definitely the Sabres of that era. Also don’t know if there is a worse position to start in as a GM - take over a team with the expectation that you turn them around fast, despite the team not being close to a position to do so.

Jeff Jackson isn’t a stupid person, this isn’t going to be a flippant hire like we’ve seen over and over again here. If it’s Botterill then he probably did more than enough diligence on him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So of the RD UFA options who do people want? I included cap and term projections from AFP Analytics. (just did ones with pricetags $3M and up)

W. Carrier $4.00M x 3 yrs
T. Brodie $3.65M x 2 yrs
M. Dumba $3.04 x 3 yrs
B. Montour $7.73M x 6 yrs
B. Pesce $6.28M x 5 yrs
M. Roy $5.84M x 5 yrs
C. Tanev $4.48M x 3 yrs
S. Walker $4.65M x 3 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events