Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Was depressed about the Oilers but just a reminder things could always be worse:

A little to the left and we’d all be toast today.

Reactions: oobga

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Probably a fair deal for Myers.

Hmm so no surgery for McD. So was he dealing with ANY injuries?

Was depressed about the Oilers but just a reminder things could always be worse:

Just gotta send Fort Mac's best Oil Riggers to blow that shit up. It's science, I saw it in a movie.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So 6 years of dead cap space on top of the 6 years of dead cap space from the supposed Campbell buyout.

They are already at 5.5 mil dead cap space for this coming season. Maybe they can hit 8 or 9 if they retain and buyout? Then it would go around 5 mil dead cap space for the few seasons after that.

You never get dead cap space back. You can always trade for picks or players. You can't trade away dead cap space.
Okay but how is keeping Nurse better? He is a 5-6 mill player even when he was playing well, right now probably only worth 3. It’s still dead cap space but by a different name. It’s wasted cap either way. It’s better than a buyout.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
You also missed the 5 goals that he saved. The amazing hard PK minutes he played. Nuge was fine and is an integral part of this team.
I don't buy it, sorry. Anyone can be slotted into those AMAZING HARD PK MINUTES and perform just the same. Derek Ryan and Janmark do the job just as well, put up the same or more goals as RNH despite playing 1/4 of the minutes with 1/10th quality of linemates while being paid substantially less. Sounds like cope.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12 and Vagabond

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I don't buy it, sorry. Anyone can be slotted into those AMAZING HARD PK MINUTES and perform just the same. Derek Ryan and Janmark do the job just as well, put up the same or more goals as RNH despite playing 1/4 of the minutes with 1/10th quality of linemates while being paid substantially less. Sounds like cope.
Are you complaining about a top 6 forward that put up 104 points and then 67 points making 5.125 per? Nuge is the ultimate utility player that plays in all situations. Give your head a shake

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Are you complaining about a top 6 forward that put up 104 points and then 67 points making 5.125 per? Nuge is the ultimate utility player that plays in all situations. Give your head a shake
I am pointing out that he is completely useless at even strength in playoff hockey. This seems like an issue to look at remedying this offseason when you think about who you want McDavid playing with at even strength in the playoffs next year. Maybe someone who can score goals on your top line.

Reactions: Messrules11

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I am pointing out that he is completely useless at even strength in playoff hockey. This seems like an issue to look at remedying this offseason when you think about who you want McDavid playing with at even strength in the playoffs next year. Maybe someone who can score goals on your top line.
He didn’t score many goals 5v5 this is true. He was still a MASSIVE part of the team and the run. I point to the Vancouver series and game 6. 2 massive goals in that one game alone. That’s the thing about the playoffs not every player is going to score all the goals or even produce all the points. You need guys to step up at key times and Nuge did that in the second round. You are not always going to have the entire team firing on all cylinders especially playing the same team up to 7 times in a row.

Reactions: K1984 and TB12

dem

Mar 17, 2002
That's not a bad contract for Myers..

Might regret that term though..

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Hmm so no surgery for McD. So was he dealing with ANY injuries?
Knob was elusive during his presser about Mcdavid's health and mentioned he'll be talking to the medical staff further. McD was definitely dealing with something but thankfully not surgery and probably just rehab.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah imagine if McDavid only had a 50g scorer on his line... oh wait...

Nuge adds defensive responsibility to that line. He's unsung on the powerplay and a key part of the PK and huge in the lockeroom. Do you know how many teams would gladly take his contract off our hands?

Yikes man

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
He didn’t score many goals 5v5 this is true. He was still a MASSIVE part of the team and the run. I point to the Vancouver series and game 6. 2 massive goals in that one game alone. That’s the thing about the playoffs not every player is going to score all the goals or even produce all the points. You need guys to step up at key times and Nuge did that in the second round. You are not always going to have the entire team firing on all cylinders especially playing the same team up to 7 times in a row.
Sure, but this is sidestepping the point I am trying to make.

Having RNH on the top line is detrimental to our team. He does not produce in a role that you have to produce in. If you are playing with the best player on earth, you must make plays with the puck and score goals. He does neither from there. Awful on the boards, weak stick, couldn't get shots through, couldn't get open. He isn't as good on the wing as people claim.

The funny part is when I've suggested to put him at 3C, which would be a reasonable spot for him, people say he can't carry his own line. Well, he definitely can't continue to be placed on the wing with McDrai either while accomplishing nothing.

In my opinion he should be the 3C of this team and never moved from there. You can pair him with a couple other players who are defensively conscientious and let them play top opposition for a bit and see if they can tread water.

I believe it is imperative to find better scoring wingers for this team, and it's no coincidence Knoblauch mentioned Draisaitl having nobody to play with on his line all year. It's an area we are sorely lacking in.

Do what you can to move out salary/buyout if you have to and pray we can land 1-2 wingers who can make plays with the puck in free agency. Slot RNH at his correct station and I believe our team would be better off.

Reactions: foshizzle

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Nuge adds defensive responsibility to that line. He's unsung on the powerplay and a key part of the PK and huge in the lockeroom. Do you know how many teams would gladly take his contract off our hands?

Yikes man
Perfectly said

cruisecity

May 24, 2024

Yikes man
Yikes what exactly? I am not advocating for us to buy him out. Simply that he gets placed where he belongs in the lineup. At 3C. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Yikes man
I prefer we get someone who's better at 5 on 5 to play for McDavid and Hyman. That way we are not hung dry in the playoffs. RNH is great as an utility guy who can fill in here and there and on the PK but what he brings offensively at desperate times leaves us wanting much more. In fact we need two good 5 on 5 wingers. 1LW for McDavid and 2RW for Drai.

x-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-x

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we could dump Evander Kane on a rebuilding team somehow, I wonder if Tampa would consider flipping Nick Paul and Tanner Jeannot for McLeod.

They need cap space in a very big way.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
And what spend it this season and be crippled next season when 2 10 plus million contracts kick in and have 2,3 million dead next season and another 2.6 million dead cap when time to re-up McDavid that is brutal cap management I think they are looking at other options
No you just buy him out, you don't want or need him in the organization in any capacity

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Sure, but this is sidestepping the point I am trying to make.

Having RNH on the top line is detrimental to our team. He does not produce in a role that you have to produce in. If you are playing with the best player on earth, you must make plays with the puck and score goals. He does neither from there. Awful on the boards, weak stick, couldn't get shots through, couldn't get open. He isn't as good on the wing as people claim.

The funny part is when I've suggested to put him at 3C, which would be a reasonable spot for him, people say he can't carry his own line. Well, he definitely can't continue to be placed on the wing with McDrai either while accomplishing nothing.

In my opinion he should be the 3C of this team and never moved from there. You can pair him with a couple other players who are defensively conscientious and let them play top opposition for a bit and see if they can tread water.

I believe it is imperative to find better scoring wingers for this team, and it's no coincidence Knoblauch mentioned Draisaitl having nobody to play with on his line all year. It's an area we are sorely lacking in.

Do what you can to move out salary/buyout if you have to and pray we can land 1-2 wingers who can make plays with the puck in free agency. Slot RNH at his correct station and I believe our team would be better off.
I don’t think I side stepped at all. Would it be nice to play Nuge on the 3rd line? Sure it would be nice to have that luxury but not at Center. Nuges more productive years have come playing top 6 wing with Connor or Leon. Despite the attempts to complete absolve him of his creativity by former coaches he still has a very creative play style. We have tried putting him is a pure shutdown role like you a suggesting it never works. He’s not good enough on the dot and needs at least one skilled guy with him to run a line. He can’t use his asset being creativity in a shut down role and be productive. He is a top 6 LS winger that can pull spot duty at center. Basically a Marleau or Pavelski. Maybe in a few years as we work other wingers into the mix he slides down to play 3rd line winger. But the 3C Nuge option has a very very finite shelf life. This has been proven

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I don’t think I side stepped at all. Would it be nice to play Nuge on the 3rd line? Sure it would be nice to have that luxury but not at Center. Nuges more productive years have come playing top 6 wing with Connor or Leon. Despite the attempts to complete absolve him of his creativity by former coaches he still has a very creative play style. We have tried putting him is a pure shutdown role like you a suggesting it never works. He’s not good enough on the dot and needs at least one skilled guy with him to run a line. He can’t use his asset being creativity in a shut down role and be productive. He is a top 6 LS winger that can pull spot duty at center. Basically a Marleau or Pavelski. Maybe in a few years as we work other wingers into the mix he slides down to play 3rd line winger. But the 3C Nuge option has a very very finite shelf life. This has been proven
No shit to the bolded. Every single player on earth would say the same thing. It doesn't mean they deserve to be there or it's ideal for the club.

He does NOTHING under pressure at even strength. Invisible when there is any sort of tight checking game going on in the playoffs. I don't care how creative you think he is in the regular season against Utah in game 20. He has had enough playoff runs now to show he can not produce offence at even strength and we need to put him somewhere else.

It's insane to me that since you feel he has failed as a third line centre, we must play him at first line winger even though he fails there as well when the going gets tough.

We must give him another crack at 3C. Obviously his regular season production will go down not playing with Davo. He must make do.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Would have been nice to win the Cup before the apocalypse but the fanboys ruined our chances.

I wonder which will happen first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad