Official 2025 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In terms of AHL, VHL, Allsvenskan, Mestis, NLB etc? 2nd tier pro leagues?

I mean, I can give an educated guess order but have not ran the actual numbers aha.
Yeah. Might throw in KHL and SHL, all minor leagues from the NHL perspective.

I've heard lots of rumors that KHL has really slipped the last few years as fewer foreigners play there, but no confirmation.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If anyone is interested in the strength of junior leagues "against each other" I.E. not transferability to pros, but how strong the leagues are independently? (I created a matrix which accounts for league scoring and team strength with players going between leagues over the last 10 years)

1. USHL
2. OHL
3. WHL
4. MHL (Russia)
5. SM-Saarja u-20 (Finland)
6. J20 (Sweden)
7. QMJHL
8. ELJ (Czechia)
9. Swiss u-20 Elit
10. Slovakia u-20
11. DNL (Germany)

In terms of tiers? The top 3 are all actually quite similar level wise. Though there actually is an edge to the USHL, maybe surprisingly, but the league is a bit older than all the other junior leagues sans Switzerland. And they do produce more "pros" than the other junior leagues even if not as much top end talent. So the depth of the league is what probably sways it.

Then MHL is kind of on an island equidistant between WHL and SM-Saarja... but the difference from WHL to SM-Liiga is not crazy and all 5 of the top leagues are within around ~15% of each other.

Then there is a drop to the J20, surprisingly. Not enormous, but a bigger drop than from MHL to SM-Liiga u-20.

Then comes the Q, slightly below J20 seemingly, shocking really how poor it is, all the Euros who come over score more adjusted for team in Q than in Finland, Sweden, Russia.

Then ELJ and Swiss u-20 are a bit below the Q. ELJ is clearly better, but that is mainly due to top end guys, overall they are not crazily dissimilar levels median wise.

Then Slovakia and the DNL, well, they are actually a similar level. Around half as good as North American junior hockey if can equate it like that.

Looked a bit an NAHL... oh boy.

Honestly the QMJHL is about equidistant between USHL and NAHL.

(NAHL slots in just after the Czech and Swiss u-20s, but is actually in a similar tier to them before a bigger drop to Slovakia and DNL)

Actually surprised me how good relatively the NAHL grades out... again, ofc it does not produce many high end talents but just produces quite a lot of solid NCAA, ECHL and AHL players. And again, an older league.

Ryabkin is off to a super slow start. Might score less than he did last year.

While Limatov is on pace to obliterate all but Gulyayev's draft year paces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad