2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Signing Buch would be a huge mistake. This team isn’t ready to compete yet and by the time it is, Buch will be past his prime. Trading him and Saad for assets is the smart move imo. I’d even add Leddy to that

Last edited:

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Signing Buch would be a huge mistake. This team isn’t ready to compete yet and by the team it is, Buch will be past his prime. Trading him and Saad for assets is the smart move imo. I’d even add Leddy to that
I'd like to keep Leddy around to have some good vet experience in the room and because we don't have quality defensemen to replace him, but I agree with you. Pretending to be contenders when you're not is how teams get into long term trouble.

LetsGoBooze

Dickinson was in range...
Jan 16, 2012
The more i sit on this draft the more im pissed. As a diehard fan, with the state of this team you have to atleast feel like you won the draft in some manner. I remember being elated after last years draft, because at bare minimum it gives hope to the future. We really need elite talent for the future of this franchise and with Dick/Buium available at pick 10 we needed to do whatever it took to move up. I personally feel Dickinson has bonefide 1D upside, im paying both our 2nds if thats what it takes. Compound that with the fact were not gonna be good next season and we give away a 2nd in a cap dump, i just dont get it. This is the most ive been down on the team in a long time. I hate this feeling.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I feel we need about another week or so for a proper evaluation. Are we using Hayes' cap space or just saving money? Are we extending Buch or kicking the can down the road? Any other trades in the pipeline?
Yep, I'm in wait and see mode.

Maybe this draft doesn't seem as good as last year's because we drafted a few sexy forwards, whereas, in this one, it's long-term defensemen. Not as sexy.

RE: Buch

Army is f***ing this up. Buch should dun bin gon.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yep, I'm in wait and see mode.

Maybe this draft doesn't seem as good as last year's because we drafted a few sexy forwards, whereas, in this one, it's long-term defensemen. Not as sexy.

RE: Buch

Army is f***ing this up. Buch should dun bin gon.
I'm pretty happy with the draft. The top picks filled huge needs and I haven’t gone through all of the later picks yet, but there are a few I'm excited about.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
That’s over 5 years, making Army an idiot

It would make both of them idiots according to your criteria lol.

I'm kind of on the fence with Buch. If he really likes it here and wants to stay at a fair price, I'd be ok with it. However, it would also depend on the potential return. If we get a great offer, I'd want the Blues to take it but I'd rather not trade him for an underwhelming return.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I'm pretty happy with the draft. The top picks filled huge needs and I haven’t gone through all of the later picks yet, but there are a few I'm excited about.
I'm indifferent to somewhat pleased with this draft. Love the idea of nabbing some defensemen, but they'll arrive in a few years, if at all. I like the idea that either @PerryTurnbullfan or @CaliforniaBlues310 wrote, that large defensemen make good trade bait. The FO has not been afraid to pivot from highly-drafted guys like Bokk and Rundblad. Not saying it will happen, but provides a little insurance.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yet another #1 LD gets traded and we do nothing.
Sergachev was one who when I suggested he could be moved I was shouted down. But he was, and Utah paid pretty price for him that I don't know we could have matched (we could have conceivably done Dvo and the picks, but didn't have guy like Moser who can step into top 4 at manageable salary), but that was great deal for Utah. But he isn't last top pair D that will get moved before we re ready to contend. Hopefully there will be one who we are better positioned to acquire.

Trying to come up with a comparable trade from Blues pool.

Wonder if Snuggy, Kessel/Perunovichz 2nd is in the ballpark?
That isn't even in same zip code, let alone in the ballpark.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So looking at the Blues for next year now. I feel like this is fairly accurate template

Buchnevich* - Thomas - Kyrou
Neighbours - Schenn - Saad
???? - Texier - ????
Toropchenko - ???? - Sundqvist*

Leddy - Parayko
Krug* - Faulk
Perunovich - Kessel

Binnington
Husso

The * next to a name means I am not 100% sure they will be here next season. Although it seems like we are working towards an extension with Buch. Krug on other hand we know the Blues want to trade, they tried last year and Krug blocked it. So why would Krug accept a trade this year? Well because next year his NTC goes to a 15 teams he can block. This might be his last chance to narrow it down to spots he would accept. Army would still have to find a way to get those teams to bite, maybe the Blues can afford to retain part of his salary for 3 years given the amount of entry level deals we have coming on the horizon?

Now to fill the ???? we have several potentials already in the system. Guys like Bolduc, Dvorsky, Dean and Sylvegard seem like they will be given an opportunity at playing in the NHL next year. I would also like to say that I think Schenn being our 2C is recipe for disaster. He struggled to center an effective scoring line in the top6 last year. It might be time to consider him as our long term 3C or middle six winger. If we do that who plays 2C for us? Do we give Dvorsky a shot at that role right out of junior? Also if we move Krug we would need to bring someone else in to play on the left side. We have some cap space to make a big splash or two medium sized splashes. I know I have said it before but I think a very Blues move would be to bring in Monahan on a 2 year deal and give him a shot at the 2C spot giving us a forward lineup like this.

Buchnevich - Thomas - Kyrou
Neighbours - Monahan - Saad
Texier - Schenn - Bolduc/Sylvegard
Toropchenko - Dean - Sundqvist/Walker

If run this with our current defense we would still have a ton of cap space and if we are out of it come TDL we could be one of those teams willing to take on a bad expiring contract from a contender looking to make space and add more picks.

Reactions: ArenaRat

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Schenn - Thomas - Bolduc
Saad - Buchnevich - Kyrou
Texier - Dean - Neighbours

We played our best stretch of hockey last year with this top six.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yet another #1 LD gets traded and we do nothing.

I'm only mentioning this because I happened to see Bill Armstrong interviewed during the draft, but he said he first discussed Sergachev about six months ago. He basically told Tampa that if they ever consider moving him that they are very interested and have the assets to get it done. So it seems the groundwork for this deal had already been laid.

Reactions: Celtic Note

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
So looking at the Blues for next year now. I feel like this is fairly accurate template

???? - Texier - ????

Leddy - Parayko
Krug* - Faulk
Perunovich - Kessel

Binnington
Husso

The * next to a name means I am not 100% sure they will be here next season. Although it seems like we are working towards an extension with Buch. Krug on other hand we know the Blues want to trade, they tried last year and Krug blocked it. So why would Krug accept a trade this year? Well because next year his NTC goes to a 15 teams he can block. This might be his last chance to narrow it down to spots he would accept. Army would still have to find a way to get those teams to bite, maybe the Blues can afford to retain part of his salary for 3 years given the amount of entry level deals we have coming on the horizon?

Now to fill the ???? we have several potentials already in the system. Guys like Bolduc, Dvorsky, Dean and Sylvegard seem like they will be given an opportunity at playing in the NHL next year. I would also like to say that I think Schenn being our 2C is recipe for disaster. He struggled to center an effective scoring line in the top6 last year. It might be time to consider him as our long term 3C or middle six winger. If we do that who plays 2C for us? Do we give Dvorsky a shot at that role right out of junior? Also if we move Krug we would need to bring someone else in to play on the left side. We have some cap space to make a big splash or two medium sized splashes. I know I have said it before but I think a very Blues move would be to bring in Monahan on a 2 year deal and give him a shot at the 2C spot giving us a forward lineup like this.

Buchnevich - Thomas - Kyrou
Neighbours - Monahan - Saad
Texier - Schenn - Bolduc/Sylvegard
Toropchenko - Dean - Sundqvist/Walker

If run this with our current defense we would still have a ton of cap space and if we are out of it come TDL we could be one of those teams willing to take on a bad expiring contract from a contender looking to make space and add more picks.
Ugh. That defense ...

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Sergachev was one who when I suggested he could be moved I was shouted down. But he was, and Utah paid pretty price for him that I don't know we could have matched (we could have conceivably done Dvo and the picks, but didn't have guy like Moser who can step into top 4 at manageable salary), but that was great deal for Utah. But he isn't last top pair D that will get moved before we re ready to contend. Hopefully there will be one who we are better positioned to acquire.

I'm only mentioning this because I happened to see Bill Armstrong interviewed during the draft, but he said he first discussed Sergachev about six months ago. He basically told Tampa that if they ever consider moving him that they are very interested and have the assets to get it done. So it seems the groundwork for this deal had already been laid.

I show annoyance because like everyone else we just don't know if there is any effort to even acquire a #1LD but we keep seeing them traded. I guess that's the pitfall of having a gm that doesn't leak information.

???? - Texier - ????

Leddy - Parayko
Krug* - Faulk
Perunovich - Kessel

Binnington
Husso

I think I prefer Neighbors with Thomas and Buch with Schenn. Schenn needs all the D help he can get from Saad and Buch.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Barring any big trades, FA signings or major defensive improvements with Julian and Bannister having time with the roster in camp, this team could very well be worse in the standings than the previous season. I feel like that would go a long way to improving the future core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad