Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Holland left the next guy with some extremely hard decisions to make.

Since Holland created a buyout proof deal, along with massive overpay and NMC for Nurse's contract, he probably left the biggest pile of garbage that any Oilers GM has left behind, plus Campbell.

The cost to replace is almost a no-brainer for both these guys. Broberg + a solid 4-5M RHD is probably better than Nurse + Broberg on his off side. a 5M D + Nurse's 2.3M retained is 2M cheaper than Nurse's contract. That's 2M to improve the team still.

Campbell, replacement is probably a league minimum backup goalie. You save 3.9M buying Campbell out. That's 3M extra to improve the team.

This needs to end with the current GM's decisions, but sadly, for now it has to continue because of the last GM's decisions. We could improve our cap situation by $5M with zero loss to performance if we could trade Nurse with 25% retained and buyout Campbell. Gotta find that RHD of course, so we better get a GM that can make moves like Zito did for Florida.

Let's be real here, pretty much every GM starts with problems that need fixing. Holland definitely lefts this team better than he found it. You could definitely make the argument that whoever steps in right now has the 2nd best team to work with despite some of the problems/signings.

Realistically, the new GM only has a few moves to make. Yes those moves might be hard to pull off but the core is here.

With respect to Zito, I think if he stepped aside today the GM placing him would be in a worse situation than here. Holland keeping Broberg and Holloway is absolutely massive. Florida by comparison has traded away most of their picks, prospects and young guys. They have to sign like half their team including core guys.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yea. The new GM is essentially going to have to decide between Nurse or Bouchard. You cant have both making close to 18M. Trading Nurse with retention and buying out Campbell is way too much dead cap for a team that wants to win now (Neal, Brown's bonus, Perry's bonus). Leon's line needs a Bouchard to outlet the puck. Nurse is not that guy.

Keeping Nurse and Campbell is the equivalent of 10M of dead cap space is how I look at it. Campbell is just unplayable. Nurse is giving you a 4M D performance, although can arguing be worse, because you need to waste all kinds of time finding him a partner to babysit him and perfectly compensate for his play, which will probably start declining now as he gets slower.

If you can trade Campbell, for sure do it, but his value to the team to keep him is probably negative 1M of cap space :).

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Man wow you guys underrate Nurse so badly. When Nurse is on his game, Trouba is nowhere near him in terms of overall play. You guys just refuse to see it because of the salary
You can also say when Trouba is on his game, he's also better than Nurse by a mile. He's also been better for most of his career

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't understand this forums' insecurity over admitting the Canucks have a very good hockey team. Because they do.

Man wow you guys underrate Nurse so badly. When Nurse is on his game, Trouba is nowhere near him in terms of overall play. You guys just refuse to see it because of the salary
Actually you saying this ad nauseum is getting old. Dude.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Trouba is worse than Nurse. So if we add anything, we’d be fleeced.
Did you look at their contracts? 5 years extra of Nurse anchor contract says that the Oilers are adding significantly, not to mention that the Rangers add $1.25m of cap the next 2 seasons. A contending team GM would have to be insane, or drunk or high, to take on that Nurse contract. Rebuilding team is a different story so maybe there's like a 1% that a team like the Hawks or Sharks take it, with retention and picks attached of course.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Nurse is not being underrated- he is a bad defenceman. Both analytics and the eye test bear this out.

Reactions: Shizuka

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't understand this forums' insecurity over admitting the Canucks have a very good hockey team. Because they do.

If they do it again next year when the PDO falls back to earth from infinity this year, I will give him some kudos. I don't think that happens though.

It's not insecurity to know that teams get crazy lucky years and fall off the next season all the time. I'm actually very happy to see the Canucks paying players max dollars for miracle years.

Reactions: K1984 and TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Did you look at their contracts? 5 years extra of Nurse anchor contract says that the Oilers are adding significantly, not to mention that the Rangers add $1.25m of cap the next 2 seasons. A contending team GM would have to be insane, or drunk or high, to take on that Nurse contract. Rebuilding team is a different story so maybe there's like a 1% that a team like the Hawks or Sharks take it, with retention and picks attached of course.
I haven’t just comparing player to player. Nurse is better. But you’re right, his contract is longer and more expensive. In a vacuum though, I’d rather have 9.25M Nurse for a year vs. Trouba at 8M for a year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Perfect example of Nurse getting traded 1 for 1 is the PLD and Kuemper trade. A team taking a chance on a young player with lots of prime years left. Nurse developed slower so there's still "lots in the tank left". Teams will take chances on that. It comes down to Nurse waiving to the right team

That's an easy yes

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I haven’t just comparing player to player. Nurse is better. But you’re right, his contract is longer and more expensive. In a vacuum though, I’d rather have 9.25M Nurse for a year vs. Trouba at 8M for a year.
Agree to disagree. Trouba strikes fear into the opposition, Captains the best club in the league last year for the regular season. If we're going to have a player like that on our roster, I'm taking Trouba all day. He genuinely strikes fear into the opposition in a way Nurse never will or has. Way cheaper, more physical, better leader. It's a no brainer.

Yes, hahaha. San Jose could take McLeod for free on his own.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
In the games against the Oilers. Didn't look that good.

Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, Rakell, Guentzel, Letang, Rust. That's still a good supporting cast. Better than a lot of teams

I heard as they want to meet together, with the new GM, to discuss the direction the team is going to go not to discuss their contracts and take the same deal as you mentioned.

If JJ is not panicked to sign Leon, he probably knows that he likely to resign here. Leon might be waiting to see what the cap looks like next year and sign then. Similar to Matthews.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Perfect example of Nurse getting traded 1 for 1 is the PLD and Kuemper trade. A team taking a chance on a young player with lots of prime years left. Nurse developed slower so there's still "lots in the tank left". Teams will take chances on that. It comes down to Nurse waiving to the right team

That's an easy yes
I could see him flourishing in a much more structured system like say Nashville. Nurse for Josi? Lol

Reactions: Canovin

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Agree to disagree. Trouba strikes fear into the opposition, Captains the best club in the league last year for the regular season. If we're going to have a player like that on our roster, I'm taking Trouba all day. He genuinely strikes fear into the opposition in a way Nurse never will or has. Way cheaper, more physical, better leader. It's a no brainer.

Yes, hahaha. San Jose could take McLeod for free on his own.
Irrelevant post. I’m here to read thoughts by Oilers fans that have the best interests of the team in mind.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad