2024 NHL Draft Picks by Country

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No standout players from Germany this time and the junior national teams have had a couple of rough years so it's no wonder teams look elsewhere. But it's rather meaningless whether there were a couple of 100+th overall picks or not.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
That's a smaller nation draft for sure despite the no-show from Germany and Denmark.

Belarus and Norway had their best draft in history. For Belarus it was a steady climb for the past 7-8 years which culminated in a future superstar while the future will show how sustainable this pace is for Norway.

Latvia quietly had a solid draft without any major standouts, and three drafted players is repeated best result for us, so it's definitely a success for such a quiet year.

For Slovenia and Austria having a player drafted is a big thing on its own.

Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland tend to shuffle good and bad years, so it doesn't really matter that the first two had a quiet draft. Denmarks 0 players, however, is a sad continuation of their downfall.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
My takeaways...

Canada tied the big 3 (Russia, Sweden, US)
Canada also beat the current big 3 (Finland, Sweden, US) internationally

Czechs can't touch top 5
7 through 12 can't touch the Czechs

We continue to be stuck in 6th in a weird spot. Our biggest competitors combined - Slovakia 1, Germany 0, Switzerland 4, Latvia 3 = 8. We had 13.

Nice job Norway! And Belarus (who have a NDTP type thing going on that is working).

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Two things that jump out are the sheer number of Canadians vs Americans. The other is the number of Finns. I love supporting Finland. They're an awesome hockey country and I hope they keep progressing.

Worth pointing out Zelenov is a dual citizen that was born in Moscow and per IIHF rules could be eligible to represent Russia internationally if he doesn’t represent Austria earlier.
Any insight on how that exactly works? If you play for one team as say a junior, does that disqualify you from the other as an adult? Is there a cutoff age for that?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Two things that jump out are the sheer number of Canadians vs Americans. The other is the number of Finns. I love supporting Finland. They're an awesome hockey country and I hope they keep progressing.

Any insight on how that exactly works? If you play for one team as say a junior, does that disqualify you from the other as an adult? Is there a cutoff age for that?
Yeah once you play in IIHF competition it’s really hard to switch countries. Note that this doesn’t include the hockey Canada sponsored stuff like the Gretzky Hlinka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad