Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Are we moving on from Cal Pickard?

I heard Stauffer mentioned Pheonix Copley which.. I mean.. I don't understand at all. Surely there is something better out there than that. I'd rather just sign Pickard for another year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You aren’t planning for that… why do you keep saying that? It’s just a good option to have.
You ARE SAVING CAP. I’m really struggling to see your pov here.

Here. Janmark signs 3 years at 1.15 instead of 1.6 x 2. You save 500k cap per season. Year 3 rolls around

A. Janmark is still good and you still have a great deal on a 4th liner

B. Isn’t a stud and can be cut for 0 cost against the cap.

There is no downside.
Or you just sign him for one year. No risk, no cap hit of any kind beyond this year for a player who is on the wrong side of 30.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
15 minutes to the first of the buyouts

Suter, Skinner, Campbell, I wonder who else.
I’m not sure exactly the ins and outs of the rule but with some rfa’s on the roster I think there is a way they could trigger a second buyout window later in the summer. If there is a way to make that work I could see them waiting to see how the goalie market shakes out and seeing if they can deal him with retention instead or dealing him with retention to a team who will execute the buyout and thus lowering the cap cost of a buyout for us. Of course depending on what we have to add to jettison him.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I’m not sure exactly the ins and outs of the rule but with some rfa’s on the roster I think there is a way they could trigger a second buyout window later in the summer. If there is a way to make that work I could see them waiting to see how the goalie market shakes out and seeing if they can deal him with retention instead or dealing him with retention to a team who will execute the buyout and thus lowering the cap cost of a buyout for us. Of course depending on what we have to add to jettison him.
It's related to one of a team's players going to arbitration. From CapFriendly:

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period​

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2023 offseason

There is an exception to this buyout period (CBA Reference: Section 11.18; 12.3) if the arbitation was Club-elected (as opposed to player-elected) and the player did not receive a qualifying offer. In this case, a minimum of two arbitration cases are necessary to trigger the buy-out period outside the regular window.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Debrusk is way too streaky and would be under way too much pressure here IMO

I posted his advanced analytics before. He was one of the worst players on Boston in the playoffs in terms of chances and corsi. I would stay away. His playoff production isnt sustainable. Just because he would put up 60-70 points with Draisaitl doesn't mean hes worth 5-6M.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The utter fear that people have of a cap penalty or strategically managed term no matter how logical, no matter how small is something that will never make sense to me.

Almost to the point of being ideological with some people.

100%

People want to trade away valuable assets because they're scared Campbell's buyout will stick us with 3 years of 1.5M in dead space when the cap is going to be in the range of 100M by then. It makes no sense at all.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
100%

People want to trade away valuable assets because they're scared Campbell's buyout will stick us with 3 years of 1.5M in dead space when the cap is going to be in the range of 100M by then. It makes no sense at all.
I don't think people are worried about Campbell dead cap when the cap is at 100M. It's more about the 2M dead cap right now and next year with Bouchard and Drai extensions kicking in and Brown bonus

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think people are worried about Campbell dead cap when the cap is at 100M. It's more about the 2M dead cap right now and next year with Bouchard and Drai extensions kicking in and Brown bonus
2mill dead cap is better than 4mill dead cap you would have keeping Campbell. It just cost a 2nd+ to move Mikheyevs contract and he is playable.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

But that makes no sense because if you don't buy him out Campbell's cap hit isnt 2M in those years it's 4.1.

This team needs upgrades in critical positions and it doesn't have enough valuable trade assets to be spending them to save 2 million cap space. The buyout is dead cheap. It's an absolute no brainer decision that should have been made last Summer.

Reactions: Balakay14

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Still illogical.

What’s better? A $2M penalty or a $5M one with the bonus of the worst goalie in the NHL on your roster?

There is no logical argument for keeping Campbell or attaching quality assets (which are few and far between now) to move him. It makes absolutely no sense, even in a one year vacuum.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
But that makes no sense because if you don't buy him out Campbell's cap hit isnt 2M in those years it's 4.1.

This team needs upgrades in critical positions and it doesn't have enough valuable trade assets to be spending them to save 2 million cap space. The buyout is dead cheap. It's an absolute no brainer decision that should have been made last Summer.
2mill dead cap is better than 4mill dead cap you would have keeping Campbell. It just cost a 2nd+ to move Mikheyevs contract and he is playable.
Ottawa was able to trade away a deadweight in Korpisalo and got a much better goalie in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad