Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You've been saying 1st for Walker all season and the Oilers won't regret that move if they did that trade cause you hated Ceci that much

At least I compliment Skinner when he had good games. You rip Ceci any chance you get.

If we can't re-sign Henrique, playing RNH at 3C and PK makes a lot of sense.
No. Don’t lie. I said 2 and 4 for Walker all season to replace Ceci. Cause Ceci sucks and would hurt us in the playoffs which he did. I said a 1st for him is too much.

Also wrong, I was one of the few that said Ceci’s game was coming along near deadline time. Noted he wasn’t wasting time with the puck at the blue line and was sinplifiying and it helped squeeze more offense out of his offensively anemic game. We saw that play out too, as his offensive game took an uptick. I also credited him for being better in the back half of the playoffs.

I’ve always been a fan of 3 strong down the middle. But your Nuge comment wasn’t just that. It was saying that a 100 pt player, playing in the top 6 is “useless” in the top 6.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Even if you accept that one player somehow "raises the tide for all players" in a meaningful way (something I don't have nearly enough knowledge about to have an opinion on), that is still a choice for that individual to make. Weight could have told the PA to go f*** itself, and nothing would have happened to him. McDavid is the largest name in the game by a wide metric, he can do what he wants. If he decided to cave to PA pressure in that scenario, then it would show he cares more about the good will of his fellow PA members, than putting himself in the best position to win a cup. Again, a perfectly valid and fine choice, that is up to him, but lets not pretend it wouldn't be a choice.
Pleasing PA really only benefit the bigger name players. Not all players.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not singling you out Mcjadeddog, as there are quite a few that are mostly blaming Stew for the parade being postponed for another year. I wasn't happy that he let in the game winner, he should have had that one, Kulak had to cover the pass as they gave up a 3x2 to start. Drai almost made the backcheck. But we seem to always have a goalie that will give up a bad goal in more games than not. But our superstars and their buddies Nuge, Hyman and Bouchard didn't get a fkn point in the game. For the most part they didn't do much in the final series. Yes there were some injuries but I'm sure that every team does.

Again not directed only at McJadeddog. And I'm not the biggest Stew fan but he wasn't the only reason we lost in game 7 of the finals. Which is farther than I thought they would go even in round two.

I'm interested to see that for the finals, will still be off as there were two high scoring games for them.

I don't think he is the only reason either, not by a long shot. But I do think he was a top-2 or top-3 reason why. He wasn't a positive on the series is my point.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just watching the McDavid/Draisaitl presser and Spector asking McDavid about Draisaitl's contract situation is one of the most cringe things I've seen. It had to be Spec of course.
Haven’t seen it yet. But f*** Spec, I can smell the cringe from here. Its always that a-hole.

Reactions: Sanchez

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Even if you accept that one player somehow "raises the tide for all players" in a meaningful way (something I don't have nearly enough knowledge about to have an opinion on), that is still a choice for that individual to make. Weight could have told the PA to go f*** itself, and nothing would have happened to him. McDavid is the largest name in the game by a wide metric, he can do what he wants. If he decided to cave to PA pressure in that scenario, then it would show he cares more about the good will of his fellow PA members, than putting himself in the best position to win a cup. Again, a perfectly valid and fine choice, that is up to him, but lets not pretend it wouldn't be a choice.
Weight could not have just told the PA to F off. It’s his union and his peers were getting the short end of the stick. It wasn’t the high end players that were suffering it was the middle guys. Because Doug kept taking pay cut after pay cut it was causing the mid tier players to take less as well. Don’t believe me that’s fine investigate it for yourself. When you are part of a union you do as they say for the good of the members. Once weight took market value mid tier salaries raised across the board. Kinda like when we signed Hall Ebs and Nuge to 6 per that became the norm for high end guys coming into their second deals.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The NHL players get the money one way or another. Whether teams pay the stars or overpay the plugs.

Not sure why the NHLPA cares that the stars max their deals.
They do seem to care.. I just don't get why.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The NHL players get the money one way or another. Whether teams pay the stars or overpay the plugs.

Again they are a union they are not fighting for the top tier guys they will always get paid regardless. But if they take less the mid tier guys take less and the bottom tier guys take less. It’s in the best interest of the union that top players make as close to market value as possible for this reason.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Again they are a union they are not fighting for the top tier guys they will always get paid regardless. But if they take less the mid tier guys take less and the bottom tier guys take less. It’s in the best interest of the union that top players make as close to market value as possible for this reason.

But the teams will use any advantage they can... thus why so many are up against the cap every year.

The revenue's are split.. and the cap is maxed. The pay works itself out.

In fact.. the bottom IS getting squeezed.
Your salary is more important than if you can play on the 4th line these days.

Reactions: iCanada

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Weight could not have just told the PA to F off. It’s his union and his peers were getting the short end of the stick. It wasn’t the high end players that were suffering it was the middle guys. Because Doug kept taking pay cut after pay cut it was causing the mid tier players to take less as well. Don’t believe me that’s fine investigate it for yourself. When you are part of a union you do as they say for the good of the members. Once weight took market value mid tier salaries raised across the board. Kinda like when we signed Hall Ebs and Nuge to 6 per that became the norm for high end guys coming into their second deals.

I was part of a union for 15 years, and am very aware of the Weight situation. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying he had a choice to make about negotiations. The union doesn't negotiate the contract. Weight could have taken league minimum or $1.5M or any other number he wanted, and the union couldn't have done a damn thing. The same applies to McDavid now. You would have a price to pay in that some people would be pissed at you and what not, but again, that is a choice you make. Do you value winning a cup more/less than some of your fellow union members maybe having their nose out of joint. That is a decision that Weight had to make.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
But the teams will use any advantage they can... thus why so many are up against the cap every year.

The pay works itself out.
It’s all about the overall number though. There is only so much to go around. Remember during the flat cap how may players who were NHL regulars were forced out because there just wasn’t enough overall cash? It was a big deal the first year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The pay for the lower guys remain low as always. It doesn't benefit all the players

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

the PA doesnt care as much as the agents, they want their cut

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
If you didn't catch Driasaitl yip at Pastrnak in passing at the all-star game "we have to try it first" after a shift together then..................

He is probably just as tight with him as McDavid.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
You might want to check that again league minimum goes up according to the base salaries of the top and middle tiers. There was a time league min was on 400k and that’s not really that long ago either.

That was 20 years ago.

So basically.. the minimum kept up with inflation.

Reactions: Canovin

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If you didn't catch Driasaitl yip at Pastrnak in passing at the all-star game "we have to try it first" after a shift together then..................

Flower jeans and limp wrist slap fights in the playoffs. I hope Drai is smart enough to choose McD over f***in Pasta.

Reactions: TB12

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Your using one sentence from an allstar game to confirm to us that he's as tight with him as he is with McDavid, his best friend.

What the heck are you talking about lol

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
That was 20 years ago.

So basically.. the minimum kept up with inflation.
Yeah 20 years ago is exactly the time we are talking about that the Weight situation went down. 2001/2002 league min was 350 k by 2002 it jumped to 800k. Following the lockout the first time it was released wit was at 500k. By the 2010s it was back to around 875. Notice the jump after the weight deal?

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I don't think he is the only reason either, not by a long shot. But I do think he was a top-2 or top-3 reason why. He wasn't a positive on the series is my point.
there were some people blaming everything on him, but all we needed was a goal in that final game. Panthers were beaten mentally. Our offensive players didn't show up for many of the games in the final series.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Yeah 20 years ago is exactly the time we are talking about that the Weight situation went down. 2001/2002 league min was 350 k by 2002 it jumped to 800k. Following the lockout the first time it was released wit was at 500k. By the 2010s it was back to around 875. Notice the jump after the weight deal?

There wasn't a salary cap when Doug Weight signed his deal...

You're comparing 2 completely different economic systems/environments.

I don't understand where we are going

Reactions: McTonyBrar

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
There wasn't a salary cap when Doug Weight signed his deal...

You're comparing 2 completely different economic systems.

I don't understand where we are going
The league min jumped by 500k the year after weight took market value. Can you not see the correlation between the two? Weight took more money and everyone else’s salary increased in turn. I realize there was no salary cap in 2001/2002.

Damn you all have good Doug Weight memory. He was my favorite player growing up and I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
Mine too I was so shook when he had to be dealt to the Blues. My info comes from an interview I listened to about 10 years ago where Doug was reflecting on his time with the Oilers. Fun fact the Oilers had a trade in place for Weight at the 06 deadline but Carolina ended up getting him because of time constraints on deadline day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad