Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Absolutely.

Let's hypothesize Draisaitl making 14 million dollars starting next year.

You could have had Marchessault, Bertuzzi, and Debrusk for that amount of cap hit. It's a real serious discussion, because a team is obviously much better with those three in the lineup as opposed to Drai + two minor leaguers.
We need two game breakers and that's McDavid and Drai. The reality is the deals can't start with 14M. Vegas and Florida are the only 2 teams that won the cup with 10M player(Eichel and Barkov). Both teams has no state tax tho. Vegas has been cheating. People keep saying, well the cap is going to 100M. Well they said the same thing during McDavid and Drai first big deal

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Absolutely.

You could have had Marchessault, Bertuzzi, and Debrusk for that amount of cap hit. It's a real serious discussion, because a team is obviously much better with those three in the lineup as opposed to Drai + two minor leaguers.
You don’t let players that consistently put up 100 points plus go to sign guys who have never even sniffed 80. You certainly don’t let guys go that produce points when it matters in the playoffs. Leon does all of the above and then some. Keep your Debrusks and such I will take the guy who does what Leon does everyday of the week

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I mean, timely depth scored some goals, but it's kind of a misnomer to say depth is what got us to the final. Do we make it without those timely short handed goals? Or the random ceci and foegele goals? Possible we don't or simiarly possible their replacement scores.

I'd pretty comfortably bet that in an alternate universe, if you take away a few of the depth goals we have a better chance of making the finals, than keeping the depth goals and trading out half of McDavids points. I'd much rather dump McLeods 5 points for some other random NHLer than dump a 43 point playoff player for a mixed bag of top 6 elite talent.

IMO there's a near zero % chance we make the finals if you exchange Barkov for McDavid. I just don't see it. Is it chapped that McDrai was pointless in game 7? Hell yeah, basically win the game if they find ways through. But given McDavid single handedly won us two games to even get there I'm not sure it's realistic to put any blame on him. Likewise with Drai being a corpse the last 10 games of the season.
If you replace Adam Henrique with say, Nick Bjugstad, I don't think we are nearly the same roster. I also believe this team desperately needed the otherworldly PK to push through opponents. Brown and Janmark came up huge on the biggest stage.

It isn't either or. Both are required for a team to win. And that isn't suggesting you're team will be absent of unnecessary fat. Every roster carries bad contracts and underperforming players. Florida had them, too.

I'd absolutely look at moving McLeod's deal if it meant we were able to get Henrique back or trade for a similar player. I move Kane or forego re-signing Foegele to reward Janmark and Brown for their contributions in these playoffs. Those are the types of players who set the competitive bar for future Oilers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
All of this is true and I agree, however there is a component missing that we've seen play out here once before, if not more. The love of a man's life pleading with him to play on the west coast where they can both live out their dreams together. Put yourself in his shoes, it's easy to see why the decision isn't so simple.
Ahh yes, the wifey component. Definitely will have a say in this.

Let me look into that. I’m curious. So Celeste Desjardin. Super hottie. Born in Sudbury, Ontario. Aged 28. Acted in a four movies in 2023, 3 were TV movies. In 2022 she had an appearance on Letter Kenny, and one other movie. All 6 productions she’s been apart of in the last 3 years were produced in CANADA, which is a good sign. She’s an actress, but not a Hollywood actress or anywhere close to an A-lister. You could argue her dream is already happening, and it’s happening exclusively in Canada.

Also, how many Christmas movies can one gal act in lol. 3 of 6 productions are Christmas themed lol.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Absolutely.

I think the three guys on your list will total 16M+ combined AAV this summer.

I am going to guess Leon will sign at the same ticket that McKinnon is at. 13.25M AAV. McKinnon left UFA $ on the table so his team's roster could be better. Leon will do something similar.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
We need two game breakers and that's McDavid and Drai. The reality is the deals can't start with 14M. Vegas and Florida are the only 2 teams that won the cup with 10M player(Eichel and Barkov). Both teams has no state tax tho. Vegas has been cheating. People keep saying, well the cap is going to 100M. Well they said the same thing during McDavid and Drai first big deal
To be fair there was then a global pandemic that resulted in a flat cap..... so the prediction should be more accurate this time unless that happens again

Reactions: Canovin

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Absolutely.

Could you convince them to come to Edmonton. Marchessault I think wouldn’t. Debrusk maybe with his Louie connection. Maybe with Bertuzzi, although he’s kinda overrated.

My point being is, yes there’s probably a package of 3 players that’s worth more than Drai at 14M. But if they won’t play here, it doesn’t matter.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Another thing I’ve been thinking about. People often downplay the attractiveness of our market and it’s always something I’ve worried about when it comes to resigning McDrai.

And let’s be real, we aren’t no tax Miami or sunny Cali or the millionaires playground that is NYR. But I really think this effect is overstated.

Both Drai and Connor live in Toronto as it is. Lots of hockey players do, even Seguin who plays out of Dallas. These guys already get their family component if they want it. For Drai he seems to spend his off seasons traveling the world, has his own place in Spain. He’s a Euro guy, he can be a Euro guy on any team in this league including the Oilers. These guys can get off ton of living done outside of their careers in hockey. And they will get a shit load of that done after it’s done.

So they get their millionaire RnR as it is. When it comes to hockey which is their prime passion in life. We can provide one of the best playing environments in the League. One of the best buildings, one of the best training facilities, unlimited resources, one of the best teams to play on, and THE best crowd in hockey.
I agree with this. The other angle that I think is overlooked is this- Connor/Leon don't have kids right now. If you look at their girlfriends instagram accounts during the season, Lauren and Celeste spend half the damn season in Mexico, Europe, or wherever else. A lot of the time they're with Gagner's wife and others. This is obviously an insanely close group both on and off the ice.

Leon has been here for 9 years. As a general rule, most people don't like uprooting their lives, leaving their friends, and giving up everything they've ever known just to move to a warmer climate. That's doubly the case when you're a millionaire hockey player who really only spends 3-4 months a year in the city when you factor in travel and off season, or if you're a millionaire's spouse who can get on a private jet and fly across the world at the drop of a hat.

There are reasons Leon might leave. He's European, maybe he always pictured himself playing in New York or a big market. Maybe he isn't willing to leave a cent on the table and the Oilers won't go that high. But the idea that he will leave because Edmonton sucks and no one wants to live here is just BS spouted by people with a 604, 416 or 403 area code.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I would be surprised if Coffey comes back. Had to have his arm pulled to get behind the bench this year, and he seemed pretty comfortable in his previous role. Lot's of travel and hotels for a guy that doesn't really need that in his life at this point, but hoping I'm wrong and that he enjoyed the role enough to want to continue for another year.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
What would you guys be willing to add to Nurse to get him shipped to Utah? Every draft pick we have this year? What about next?

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I would be surprised if Coffey comes back. Had to have his arm pulled to get behind the bench this year, and he seemed pretty comfortable in his previous role. Lot's of travel and hotels for a guy that doesn't really need that in his life at this point, but hoping I'm wrong and that he enjoyed the role enough to want to continue for another year.
Coffey for a full season with Broberg would be amazing for his development. Look at how he has handled Bouchard this season with the on-ice guidance from Ekholhm.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I agree with this. The other angle that I think is overlooked is this- Connor/Leon don't have kids right now. If you look at their girlfriends instagram accounts during the season, Lauren and Celeste spend half the damn season in Mexico, Europe, or wherever else. A lot of the time they're with Gagner's wife and others. This is obviously an insanely close group both on and off the ice.

Leon has been here for 9 years. As a general rule, most people don't like uprooting their lives, leaving their friends, and giving up everything they've ever known just to move to a warmer climate. That's doubly the case when you're a millionaire hockey player who really only spends 3-4 months a year in the city when you factor in travel and off season, or if you're a millionaire's spouse who can get on a private jet and fly across the world at the drop of a hat.

There are reasons Leon might leave. He's European, maybe he always pictured himself playing in New York or a big market. Maybe he isn't willing to leave a cent on the table and the Oilers won't go that high. But the idea that he will leave because Edmonton sucks and no one wants to live here is just BS spouted by people with a 604, 416 or 403 area code.
Agreed. And you make a good point with how their wives travel and live their lives. Playing in Edmonton doesn’t really stop these folks from having a millionaires lifestyle. And they are close friends that can do all of it together while still playing for Edmonton.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
And if not for Covid the cap would probably be 100 million right now. 4 years of flat cap make a huge difference. It wasn’t just fans that said the cap would be close to 100 million it was analysts as well. Hell right before Covid they projected a rise of 5-10 for the next season. This is one of the reason Kass and AA would have been fine and fit in the budget.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
The Pronger PTSD in here is actually kind of funny.

Draisaitl wants to stick to the process with his contract negotiation. Hell, maybe he isn't 100% sure, it wouldn't be the strangest thing, but I wouldn't read anything into him not wanting to put the cart in front of the horse at an end-of-season press conference.

Reactions: sepHF and Oilhawks

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
What would you guys be willing to add to Nurse to get him shipped to Utah? Every draft pick we have this year? What about next?
Apparently the Oilers Entertainment Group owns a series of Cannabis retailers (who knew)? I'm pretty sure you can't get that stuff in Utah, so we can hook the whole organization up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $32,249.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama