Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
With the improvement, Tullio might be half the player Lavoie is now. Everything I've read and seen from the highlights on Lavoie says he's improved significantly. Only needs to be given a shot at this point.
Different styles of players man. Have you seen Tullio play? I see a decent bottom six winger with agitating qualities and decent hands

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's a risk though, since in 2 years Drai will be going on 31. What if he doesn't have 110-120 point seasons over the next couple years?
Both McDrai contacts will have risks at this point of their age. You really just got to do it and give these guys their props for carrying us for so long. If it does get really bad here, it may be in their best interest and ours to trade then at that point. But for now, just get ‘em locked up and keep pushing for that Cup, worry about the long term later

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Fair enough - he is a man of few words.

Just being completely honest that while that press conference didn't kill all hope it did make me raise an eyebrow. Thats it. Still think we have a high chance of re-signing him.
OMG ahaha man He can't even sign for another week no matter what! LOL

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Different styles of players man. Have you seen Tullio play? I see a decent bottom six winger with agitating qualities and decent hands
I know how he plays. He's one of the guys I like in the Oilers system. He's not ahead of Lavoie tho. Not many prospects we have that are ahead of Lavoie right now if any. This downplaying of Lavoie is weird. We should be boosting players like Lavoie. He's exactly what the Oilers need right now. The Oilers don't shoot enough

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I know how he plays. He's not ahead of Lavoie tho. Not many prospects we have that are ahead of Lavoie right now if any. This downplaying of Lavoie is weird. We should be boosting players like Lavoie. He's exactly what the Oilers need right now. The Oilers don't shoot enough
Lavoie has played down there much longer. What worries me about Lavoie is he really shines on the PP. His skating is not NHL quality and even in the AHL it's so hard to see him skate. If he wants to be in the NHL, he'd better work on his skating and not just focus on being a powerplay triggerman

What are you talking about bro?
Have you ever seen him on here? I haven't.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
also this (Yaremchuk works with Seravelli)
I agree with the sentiment, I've said it all along that Connor and Leon seem like it would kill them to have unfinished business. I think the chances of them leaving would actually be higher if we had won 5 cups in 7 years and they felt there was nothing left to accomplish, vs now where they feel like they haven't accomplished what they set out to do.

Having said that, I have never considered Yaremchuk to be someone who has any sources. Hope his speculation is right!

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Another thing I’ve been thinking about. People often downplay the attractiveness of our market and it’s always something I’ve worried about when it comes to resigning McDrai.

And let’s be real, we aren’t no tax Miami or sunny Cali or the millionaires playground that is NYR. But I really think this effect is overstated.

Both Drai and Connor live in Toronto as it is. Lots of hockey players do, even Seguin who plays out of Dallas. These guys already get their family component if they want it. For Drai he seems to spend his off seasons traveling the world, has his own place in Spain. He’s a Euro guy, he can be a Euro guy on any team in this league including the Oilers. These guys can get off ton of living done outside of their careers in hockey. And they will get a shit load of that done after it’s done.

So they get their millionaire RnR as it is. When it comes to hockey which is their prime passion in life. We can provide one of the best playing environments in the League. One of the best buildings, one of the best training facilities, unlimited resources, one of the best teams to play on, and THE best crowd in hockey.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Both McDrai contacts will have risks at this point of their age. You really just got to do it and give these guys their props for carrying us for so long. If it does get really bad here, it may be in their best interest and ours to trade then at that point. But for now, just get ‘em locked up and keep pushing for that Cup, worry about the long term later
I mean risky more so from Draisaitl's perspective. Conventional wisdom for players in their late 20s and beyond is take the longest term for the most money; don't try to time the market and sign a short to medium term deal and cash in even more later, because if your play declines you might have cost yourself a bunch of money. A younger player could game this the way Matthews did at age 21-22, and again at 26-27, but I think it would be foolish to try this if you're right around 30.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I guess when you hope for that, you twist things to make it seem like that.

Sure you’re an oilers “fan”
I don't hope for that whatsoever. Would love to have him back and with better linemates. Knoblauch made a very good point to everyone that he is essentially playing with dog shit players when he isn't with McDavid and that's 100% true.

I assume part of the discussions for him staying here would be to get players in the lineup who can make plays with the puck. We have almost nobody.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
My problem with the way the salary cap is structured is that teams who are blessed with multiple franchise players are almost punished by the reality that they need to be paid as such. It results is 2 players eating such a large amount of cap that it really makes it extremely difficult to build an elite team out around them. God forbid you should end up with 1 or 2 bad contracts on top of that.

Reactions: Canovin

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Sounds to me like Foegele is well aware there isn't cap space for him in Edmonton..

Henrique sounded like a guy who was about to go to California to try and convince his wife moving to Edmonton for a few years wont be so bad.
It's up to foegele too, maybe he buys in and signs for a friendly deal. That would be my strategy as a GM, get these guys signed with the cup run fresh in their minds.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't hope for that whatsoever. Would love to have him back and with better linemates. Knoblauch made a very good point to everyone that he is essentially playing with dog shit players when he isn't with McDavid and that's 100% true.

I assume part of the discussions for him staying here would be to get players in the lineup who can make plays with the puck. We have almost nobody.
To be fair a lot of players making 10M+ is or will be playing with plugs. That's the price they agreed to. Want to play with better players, take less.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Another thing I’ve been thinking about. People often downplay the attractiveness of our market and it’s always something I’ve worried about when it comes to resigning McDrai.

And let’s be real, we aren’t no tax Miami or sunny Cali or the millionaires playground that is NYR. But I really think this effect is overstated.

Both Drai and Connor live in Toronto as it is. Lots of hockey players do, even Seguin who plays out of Dallas. These guys already get their family component if they want it. For Drai he seems to spend his off seasons traveling the world, has his own place in Spain. He’s a Euro guy, he can be a Euro guy on any team in this league including the Oilers. These guys can get off ton of living done outside of their careers in hockey. And they will get a shit load of that done after it’s done.

So they get their millionaire RnR as it is. When it comes to hockey which is their prime passion in life. We can provide one of the best playing environments in the League. One of the best buildings, one of the best training facilities, unlimited resources, one of the best teams to play on, and THE best crowd in hockey.
All of this is true and I agree, however there is a component missing that we've seen play out here once before, if not more. The love of a man's life pleading with him to play on the west coast where they can both live out their dreams together. Put yourself in his shoes, it's easy to see why the decision isn't so simple.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think being close to the cup will get guys like brown, Henrique and foegle thinking in maybe a bit more team friendly deals. Even some guys in free agency will be thinking that.

With Drai I think there is a very good chance he signs early. They have to be thinking they were so close but our top two guys seemly were banged up.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean risky more so from Draisaitl's perspective. Conventional wisdom for players in their late 20s and beyond is take the longest term for the most money; don't try to time the market and sign a short to medium term deal and cash in even more later, because if your play declines you might have cost yourself a bunch of money. A younger player could game this the way Matthews did at age 21-22, and again at 26-27, but I think it would be foolish to try this if you're right around 30.
For sure. At this point, Drai should be securing his long term future with a lengthy contract. Lock in his value while he’s in his prime. And Oilers due to our history with Drai would be willing to take on that risk and offer that to him. I don’t think some random other team can say the same, they’ll have a bit of cold feet considering the back half of whatever deal they offer Drai. I don’t think we’d care so much if the Contract turns in the back half

Reactions: McOilers97

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
My problem with the way the salary cap is structured is that teams who are blessed with multiple franchise players are almost punished by the reality that they need to be paid as such. It results is 2 players eating such a large amount of cap that it really makes it extremely difficult to build an elite team out around them. God forbid you should end up with 1 or 2 bad contracts on top of that.
Absolutely.

Let's hypothesize Draisaitl making 14 million dollars starting next year.

You could have had Marchessault, Bertuzzi, and Debrusk for that amount of cap hit. It's a real serious discussion, because a team is obviously much better with those three in the lineup as opposed to Drai + two minor leaguers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama