Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
The Pronger PTSD in here is actually kind of funny.

Draisaitl wants to stick to the process with his contract negotiation. Hell, maybe he isn't 100% sure, it wouldn't be the strangest thing, but I wouldn't read anything into him not wanting to put the cart in front of the horse at an end-of-season press conference.
You should go back and take a look at the interviews from the last time he was about to sign a contract. Of course people change, it has been quite a few years. Not quite singing the same tune though. Not even close.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Coffey for a full season with Broberg would be amazing for his development. Look at how he has handled Bouchard this season with the on-ice guidance from Ekholhm.
Agreed. We need Coff to stick around and help Broberg along. Hope he stays.

You should go back and take a look at the interviews from the last time he was about to sign a contract. Of course people change, it has been quite a few years. Not quite singing the same tune though. Not even close.
Sus

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If no Desharnais, Kane and Nurse. Have to admit, the Oilers would be charmin soft
I mean no right. You're getting caught up in this nonsense.

What would you guys be willing to add to Nurse to get him shipped to Utah? Every draft pick we have this year? What about next?
I would do Nurse, Ceci, Bourgault and Savoie for Kerfoot and the rights to Dermott (though I would ask for Durzi)

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
So you just jump down everyones throat no matter sentiment eh? What did I say in that post that warranted that type of reply? Some posters like you make it impossible for reasonable discussion :rolleyes:
Sorry who's throat did I jump down? I think I've been pretty reasonable. There are people on here who are ready to jump ship because of a 30 second interview with Leon. I'm telling people to calm down.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Thank for your input Sean Walker
I pegged his value pretty much bang on. With the now confirmed theory that Ceci would hurt us in the playoffs and we should look to get better. Avs GM saw the same value I and many others saw and pulled the trigger. He didn’t produce for the Avs as much as predicted but overall he brought the puck movement, skill, skating, that the Avs wanted.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I pegged his value pretty much bang on. With the now confirmed theory that Ceci would hurt us in the playoffs and we should look to get better. Avs GM saw the same value I and many others saw and pulled the trigger. He didn’t produce for the Avs as much as predicted but overall he brought the puck movement, skill, skating, that the Avs wanted.
You wanted the Oilers to trade a 1st for Walker and couldn't wait to get Ceci off the team soon enough haha

Sure didn't age well

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Junior B goalies don't stop NHL 57 goal scorers from a prime scoring position nevermind 95% of the time. That's just silly talk. Sure it was stoppable but it wasn't THAT soft of a goal like you're implying.
I can point to at least 2-3 Bobrovsky goals that shouldn't gone in either, it happens. When your team only scores 1 goal and your goalie only gives up 2, he's not the main culprit

I guess we have different definitions of a soft goal. That was a really bad goal in my mind, like REALLY bad. It wasn't a perfect shot at all, it was a classic "shot that went through him" shot that found a crease. A standard large butterfly goalie like Skinner should save that every time. But I doubt we'll agree on this, so I'll stop now.

Reactions: Canovin

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You wanted the Oilers to trade a 1st for Walker and couldn't wait to get Ceci off the team soon enough haha

Sure didn't age well
2nd and 4th is what I pegged his value at actually, pretty much consistently throughout the whole year. When it was reported the ask was a 1st I said it’s too much for him. And he was traded for a 1st minus the value of a cap dump. So essentially right around the value of a 2nd and 4th.

Nothing really aged bad. We never saw Walker as a replacement for Ceci so we never knew what could have been. Meanwhile, every single game you said Skinner would blow it for us, aged badly. Atleast 40 times wrong this season on top of an extremely high amount of wrong takes in other areas like Nuge is useless in the top 6, we should trade for whatever unrealistic goalie, and complete misreads on blames on Ga.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Players want to maximize their market value, winning Cups is a distant 2nd. It's really mostly about the money and where their family wants to reside.
Only the very special ones like Brady in the NFL, Crosby and McDavid are likely to take a paycut to help the team and, make no mistake, McDavid getting $16m/yr would be a paycut because he could get so much more if he wanted. Drai and Bouchard are going to squeeze every dime they can from the Oilers and that's their right.

The reality is that Game 7 and next season was/is their best shot at a Cup. Doesn't mean they can't thereafter but it will be exceedingly more difficult.

Well, its going to be exceedingly more difficult because of decisions that are made by the players though, lets not forget that. McDavid is in that "Brady space" where money could be a distant 2nd or 3rd priority, just because he has made (and will continue to make) SO much of it. He is already generationally wealthy right now.

I don't knock anybody for chasing money, people have their own desires and value things differently. All I'm saying is that if McDavid doesn't take a pretty significant pay cut, we'll know he values additional wealth more than winning Cups. Nothing wrong with that either, he is 100% entitled to have his own hierarchy of desires/wants/preferences. But lets not pretend that his hands are tied and he can't influence the chance he wins a cup, because of course he can. Every dollar he gives up, is a dollar that can be given to a depth player to help win a cup. You can't say "winning is the most important thing to me" and then in a cap world also say "I'm going to try and make as much money as I can". Those statements are mutually exclusive.

The above applies to Drai and Bouch and every other player as well, but the context is very different. Bouchard isn't going to retire with $250M+ as the BASE level of his earnings like McDavid will. McDavid could play for league min for the rest of his career and still have generational wealth based on what he has already made and the $5-7M/year he makes in endorsements.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
2nd and 4th is what I pegged his value at actually, pretty much consistently throughout the whole year. When it was reported the ask was a 1st I said it’s too much for him. And he was traded for a 1st minus the value of a cap dump. So essentially right around the value of a 2nd and 4th.

Nothing really aged bad. We never saw Walker as a replacement for Ceci so we never knew what could have been. Meanwhile, every single game you said Skinner would blow it for us, aged badly. Atleast 40 times wrong this season on top of an extremely high amount of wrong takes in other areas like Nuge is useless in the top 6, we should trade for whatever unrealistic goalie, and complete misreads on blames on Ga.
You've been saying 1st for Walker all season and the Oilers won't regret that move if they did that trade cause you hated Ceci that much. Since we never made that trade. You will just say we never know even tho he wasn't good on the Avs

At least I compliment Skinner when he had good games. You rip Ceci any chance you get.

If we can't re-sign Henrique, playing RNH at 3C and PK makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The PA would never allow that happen. I go back to the deals that weight used to take to remain here. He three consecutive deals at way below market value. Finally the PA stepped in and told him he had to take at least market value on his next deal because he was screwing it up for other FAs.

Even if you accept that one player somehow "raises the tide for all players" in a meaningful way (something I don't have nearly enough knowledge about to have an opinion on), that is still a choice for that individual to make. Weight could have told the PA to go f*** itself, and nothing would have happened to him. McDavid is the largest name in the game by a wide metric, he can do what he wants. If he decided to cave to PA pressure in that scenario, then it would show he cares more about the good will of his fellow PA members, than putting himself in the best position to win a cup. Again, a perfectly valid and fine choice, that is up to him, but lets not pretend it wouldn't be a choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad