Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Yeah, I think their D was low key pretty good for a shoestring budget last year, no marquee players. You slap Sergachev and Marino on there and yup... its bonafide. Plus Simashev et al. on the way.

Utah has good forwards and goaltending too. No chance they miss the playoffs this year.
Ok, if Utah is guaranteed to make the playoffs next season, which of the western conference teams that made the playoffs this past season would have to miss for that to happen? Because I don’t see Utah vaulting over any of them.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Full no movement I believe, so he has to waive for any team.
Let's say a deal is in the makings with Nurse, then, 1- Do the Oilers make the deal without his knowledge and advise him about it , to see if he is willing to waive, or 2- Do we need to approach him first about a deal and see if he is willing to waive?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Ok, if Utah is guaranteed to make the playoffs next season, which of the western conference teams that made the playoffs this past season would have to miss for that to happen? Because I don’t see Utah vaulting over any of them.
LA? Kopitar and Doughty will be another year older. Will attempt to change their system, which will help guys like Fiala score more points, but will not suit their overall roster

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Vegas was pretty shit the SH and will only get worse esp if they lose marsh

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Let's say a deal is in the makings with Nurse, then, 1- Do the Oilers make the deal without his knowledge and advise him about it , to see if he is willing to waive, or 2- Do we need to approach him first about a deal and see if he is willing to waive?

Probably a bit of both. I mean, theres rumors out there he might want a fresh start elsewhere. And honestly, him being horrible at his job is really his own doing more often than not

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Pretty sure it would be the latter. You would approach the player first, put out feelers on if he'd be willing to move elsewhere, who he'd waive for and go from there. Logically it wouldn't make sense to start shopping when the player is basically in full control of his destiny in that regard.

Have no idea or insight if that's the case though. Whatever I think of the guy he does eat minutes (even if they are poor quality minutes) and they can't just magically conjure up a solid 2nd pairing guy to step in. His contract is an absolute albatross and likely will mean he stays here. Best case scenario is they mitigate his on-ice risk getting a proper partner to stabilize his game and can efficiently transport the puck up, much like what Ekholm has done for Bouchard's game.

Reactions: Zguy370

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Wait so if we buy out Campbell we only gain 1.1 mill in cap space?
If you buy him out this year- you get 3.9M of added space of which 1M went to Pickard. So this year you have an added 2.9M. Next year his hit is 2.3+1 for Pickard so 1.7. The year after that guy have to sign Skinner, a back up, pay McDavid, and have 2.7M on the books for Campbell. You also have Bouchard and Draisaitl up when Campbell’s dead cap is 2.3M, plus the Oilers have to deal with Nurse because you cannot have 4 players making 50M and one of them is Nurse.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If you buy him out this year- you get 3.9M of added space of which 1M went to Pickard. So this year you have an added 2.9M. Next year his hit is 2.3+1 for Pickard so 1.7. The year after that guy have to sign Skinner, a back up, pay McDavid, and have 2.7M on the books for Campbell. You also have Bouchard and Draisaitl up when Campbell’s dead cap is 2.3M, plus the Oilers have to deal with Nurse because you cannot have 4 players making 50M and one of them is Nurse.
But we had Pickard and Campbell’s hits both in the roster this year… so we “gain” more of less the full $3.9 this year relative to last year.

Plus… Pickard can be fully buried, so if we find a better backup Pickard doesn’t count…

You are better off just looking at the $$$ saved from Campbell alone since you are free to spend it however you want.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
So, I live in Calgary amongst insufferable Flames fans. Last season, when the Flames were on the verge of trading Markstrom to Jersey and it fell through- Friedman was doing his hit on Flames radio. The host asked him if the deal fell through because Markstrom refused to waive. Friedman explained as this-

“Waiving” is the very last step of the trade process. Usually a team negotiates with a team- gets everything in place- and the last step is asking a player to waive. In Markstrom’s case- the deal fell through before they even asked him to waive. That’s from Elliotte. I think when a player as a modified NTC they ask that player to submit a list. I guess this makes sense as you don’t want a disgruntled player if a deal doesn’t pan out and now the player knows you tried to move him

But we had Pickard and Campbell’s hits both in the roster this year… so we “gain” more of less the full $3.9 this year relative to last year.

Plus… Pickard can be fully buried, so if we find a better backup Pickard doesn’t count…

You are better off just looking at the $$$ saved from Campbell alone since you are free to spend it however you want.
I get what you are saying. My perspective is buyouts are a reduction in your overall cap. You’re essentially handicapping yourself. I personally hate dead cap- something the Oilers seems to always have.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Fans in Arizona are sitting around like

giphy.webp
That’s the same expression Oilers fans have because we have been told it’s too hard to do

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
If Trouba and Hayes can find takers we can find a taker for Nurse. Nurse is a vastly superior player to these two. Campbell we just need to convince to LTIRetire or buyout, he's not NHL caliber.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It is. TB traded good players. So if you are down to trade Ekholm and someone like Nuge, by all means clear cap space LOL
lol- Tampa didn’t trade anyone or Ekholm or Nuge quality of player.

I should've been more specific. Good players who are overpaid lol
So Nurse? That’s what we are all waiting for- hence my post

If Trouba and Hayes can find takers we can find a taker for Nurse. Nurse is a vastly superior player to these two. Campbell we just need to convince to LTIRetire or buyout, he's not NHL caliber.
I hate NTCs. Only the elite should get them- not a guy like Nurse. Man, Holland got killed in that negotiation

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Nurse is highly overpaid. He's not getting moved unless we retain or maybe a couple players on our team don't want him gone lol

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
So, I live in Calgary amongst insufferable Flames fans. Last season, when the Flames were on the verge of trading Markstrom to Jersey and it fell through- Friedman was doing his hit on Flames radio. The host asked him if the deal fell through because Markstrom refused to waive. Friedman explained as this-

“Waiving” is the very last step of the trade process. Usually a team negotiates with a team- gets everything in place- and the last step is asking a player to waive. In Markstrom’s case- the deal fell through before they even asked him to waive. That’s from Elliotte. I think when a player as a modified NTC they ask that player to submit a list. I guess this makes sense as you don’t want a disgruntled player if a deal doesn’t pan out and now the player knows you tried to move him

I get what you are saying. My perspective is buyouts are a reduction in your overall cap. You’re essentially handicapping yourself. I personally hate dead cap- something the Oilers seems to always have.
Perfect thanks a lot., in this case if rumour has it that Nurse may be looking for a fresh start elsewhere, it may make his deal easier, one can hope!

Reactions: foshizzle

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I hate NTCs. Only the elite should get them- not a guy like Nurse. Man, Holland got killed in that negotiation
lol man Sergachev is definitely up to their level.

Reactions: sepHF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad