Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
That and him saying he's re-signing right now would be ridiculous for negotiations. Even if they've got a range in mind, he could lose more than he's willing to give up by saying too much

While I understand what your saying, how much *extra* leverage does this guy need? Oilers will likely give him whatever he wants.

I dont think he needs to be in the media playing mind games to gain leverage.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, my impression of the UFA's in this availability:

Brown stays 100%
Desharnais 100% goes to market
Henrique 50/50
Foegele I think goes to market too
I'd be happy to have all 4 back at the right price. You don't mess with a team that lost by a goal in game 7 of the final. Just get a 1B to challenge Skinner, Ceci and Mcleod replacement.

Reactions: Faelko

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm more mad at Bouchard for what I think was him trying to play defence on the first goal. Kulak is a fine 5/6. Solid playoff performer, skates well, local guy. I'd keep him. The only change is to move on from Ceci and find Nurse a better partner.
I posted that right after the loss before I watched any replays. I'd be fine with a Broberg-Kulak bottom pairing and a right shot D at #7.

Reactions: YakDavid

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
While I understand what your saying, how much *extra* leverage does this guy need? Oilers will likely give him whatever he wants.

It could be that Oilers are doing the same. I’ve always thought that the Oilers should just make it clear that if he wants a Brinks truck, he’ll get one. But in the real world, the Oilers could and probably should do some form of negotiating themselves.

Drai can get 15M if he really wants to. We could probably pay it too. But ideally in the best interests of winning and this will benefit Drai too, we need that number to be less. Just don’t f*** this up and be too hard in the negotiations though, this should feel like a good thing for both sides.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Not sure how you watched that Cup run and came to that conclusion. Elite talent is required, but depth is what got us into the Final.
I mean, timely depth scored some goals, but it's kind of a misnomer to say depth is what got us to the final. Do we make it without those timely short handed goals? Or the random ceci and foegele goals? Possible we don't or simiarly possible their replacement scores.

I'd pretty comfortably bet that in an alternate universe, if you take away a few of the depth goals we have a better chance of making the finals, than keeping the depth goals and trading out half of McDavids points. I'd much rather dump McLeods 5 points for some other random NHLer than dump a 43 point playoff player for a mixed bag of top 6 elite talent.

IMO there's a near zero % chance we make the finals if you exchange Barkov for McDavid. I just don't see it. Is it chapped that McDrai was pointless in game 7? Hell yeah, basically win the game if they find ways through. But given McDavid single handedly won us two games to even get there I'm not sure it's realistic to put any blame on him. Likewise with Drai being a corpse the last 10 games of the season.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

I dunno, he's always been this way

I think people are worried too much. If he decides he wants to 'be the guy' somewhere else, it is what it is. They will get a ransom for him (and that's not just cope, Johnston said so and you could ask any other media guy). It would be painful but Jackson et al could stretch that to fill every hole this fanbase has complained about for years

On the other hand, I'm convinced that McDavid will re-sign, no matter what

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Man I watched all AHL playoffs this year. Sorry but Lavoie is no black ace. What I saw from him was a player who improved on his skating marginally and a guy who just used the powerplay to create his chances. He was no black ace. He needs to have a strong summer of training in terms of skating if he wants to make the team.

I saw way more improvement in Tullio, Wanner and Broberg in the AHL. 10 games in you could tell Broberg was more than NHL ready

Also, Wanner had a great rookie year. Don't be surprised if we see him get some games in the coming year
With the improvement, Tullio might be half the player Lavoie is now. Everything I've read and seen from the highlights on Lavoie says he's improved significantly. Only needs to be given a shot at this point.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I dunno, he's always been this way

I think people are worried too much. If he decides he wants to 'be the guy' somewhere else, it is what it is. They will get a ransom for him (and that's not just cope, Johnston said so and you could ask any other media guy). It would be painful but Jackson et al could stretch that to fill every hole this fanbase has complained about for years

Fair enough - he is a man of few words.

Just being completely honest that while that press conference didn't kill all hope it did make me raise an eyebrow. Thats it. Still think we have a high chance of re-signing him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
"I love being an Oiler more than anything " doesn't make you optimistic?
Also add multiple call outs to the best fans in Hockey previous to this presser. Expressed love for his buddies on this team. I think we should feel great about a Drai extension possibility.

Fair enough - he is a man of few words.

Just being completely honest that while that press conference didn't kill all hope it did make me raise an eyebrow. Thats it. Still think we have a high chance of re-signing him.
Fair take. I haven’t watched the presser yet, just read the quote. I’ll watch it now.

Leon isn't even able to sign an extension for a week. Calm down haha.
Lol. Yeh there’s that too.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
It could be that Oilers are doing the same. I’ve always thought that the Oilers should just make it clear that if he wants a Brinks truck, he’ll get one. But in the real world, the Oilers could and probably should do some form of negotiating themselves.

Drai can get 15M if he really wants to. We could probably pay it too. But ideally in the best interests of winning and this will benefit Drai too, we need that number to be less. Just don’t f*** this up and be too hard in the negotiations though, this should feel like a good thing for both sides.
Drai getting $15m certainly f***s the market up real bad. Mackinnon signed for $12.6m a couple years ago, and Matthews - despite not being Drai's equal - is $13.25m for 4 years. I think if Drai wants 8 years, it should be around that $13.25m range for Matthews, since that contract would cover age 30-37 (more declining years) while Matthews' contract is age 27-30 (all prime years). If Drai was only looking for like 4-5 years, then sure, $15m.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Drai getting $15m certainly f***s the market up real bad. Mackinnon signed for $12.6m a couple years ago, and Matthews - despite not being Drai's equal - is $13.25m for 4 years. I think if Drai wants 8 years, it should be around that $13.25m range for Matthews, since that contract would cover age 30-37 (more declining years) while Matthews' contract is age 27-30 (all prime years). If Drai was only looking for like 4-5 years, then sure, $15m.
Drai should get 13Mx2 and let McDavid set the new market before getting his 8 yr deal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeh I’m just saying on the market a bottom barrel team might be desperate enough to overpay that get him to consider leaving.

I think Matthews is overpaid as well. And Drai is the better player. So if it balances out that he’s at Matthews number it would make sense to me, but I’d still like it lower than of course. And there’s an argument for that if using MacKs numbers

Reactions: McOilers97

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Alright. Well based on Seravelli reports, ON reports and the praise Drai has heaped on Oilers ownership, the fans and his teammates I think he'll be back. Only place he can play with Connor, his best friend, who he called the best player to ever play hockey just two days ago.
You just reminded me. But wasn’t there a report of Drai and Katz ina deep convo or something and hugging?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad