Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Nurse is going anywhere, he has one of, if not THE, worst contracts in the entire league. He also has a full NMC. It's not happening.

Then we never win a cup, barring some miracle.
lol, my favourite thing about your posts are absolutes. None of the two above statements are true.

Last edited:
Reactions: McTonyBrar

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Cap wise they can certainly afford the bolded. The problem is that such players are not so easy to find. For RHD with existing contracts there are 11 players in the $4-5M range. There are 3 that I would describe strong puck movers: Rasmus Andersson, John Marino, and Noah Dobson. The only one of these three that might be even remotely available is Marino. The UFA class has a few guys who might fit that role but not a lot.

Nurse's contract is buyout proof for any team wanting to compete.

Marino bleeds goals though. Sure you may get another G/120 minutes with Marino, but you lose a G/60 with him.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Has there been any news on exit interviews or an end of season media availability? I'm assuming Jackson and/or Holland will be available today or tomorrow, but I haven't heard a thing.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Not sure how you watched that Cup run and came to that conclusion. Elite talent is required, but depth is what got us into the Final.

You aren't the first responder to suggest this but I would really like to see somebody show their work on this one.

1719420576248.png

Some of our depth players can claim their fair share of the credit for an elite penalty kill but 5v5 the Oilers were flat out bad when their stars weren't out there. McDavid and Bouchard were so insane that we almost won anyways.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Yeh i just looked at that. the 4 years at 8.7-9.5 kills that idea.

Here's another idea. Just accept that he is what he is. Reduce his minutes to 3rd pair, see what Broberg can do as a 2nd pair. And yeh then hope and pray Nurse can find another level. I doubt it too, but I think alot of it has to do with confidence. I have no doubt Nurse puts in immense work to be a physical beast that he is, maybe it's time to invest some time in the mental game.
That is effectively what they did in the finals. And he certainly played a lot better.

I'd still consider trying Nurse with Bouchard and give him those offensive minutes with the top forwards so his defensive miscues are minimized. And a healthy Nurse can be a solid defensive player. Plus Bouchard does not need to be babysat as much as he did last year and the start of this year.

Ekholm and Ceci looked great together on the PK, if they could stretch that success to 5v5 defensively while chipping in 50 points between them, its a strong second pairing.

Broberg and Kulak should be a very workable third pairing at their price.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
You aren't the first responder to suggest this but I would really like to see somebody show their work on this one.

View attachment 887515

Some of our depth players can claim their fair share of the credit for an elite penalty kill but 5v5 the Oilers were flat out bad when their stars weren't out there. McDavid and Bouchard were so insane that we almost won anyways.
Good post. It’s almost comical how caved in most of our lineup gets past 97.

The idea of paying a premium for someone who can PK is absolute lunacy. You can slot anyone with legs in there and if they’re taught by a capable systems coach like Mark Stuart, they will succeed. If you think McLeod and Ryan are invaluable pieces you’re wholly delusional. The system allows itself to thrive. It’s plug and play.

Reactions: Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The “skilled depth” were the worst players on the team.

Give me guys like Janmark and Brown that want to battle for every inch.
If we had 2 more Janmark and Brown, we'd probably win. They were really the only ones that took chances even when the margins were small

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I get the similarities between nurse and PLD but there are also so many differences.

PLD played on the Kings for a year, the team had known locker room issues and they got obliterated in the 1st round.

Nurse has been with the Oilers his entire career, plays with all his friends on a team that has one of the tightest locker rooms in the league. A tight group that was just 1 win away from lifting the Stanley cup.

not really comparable.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I understand the mid-tier players, and even the star, but not super-star, players going after money first and foremost. They have very short careers, and want to set their grandchildren up, let alone their kids. Go after that money man!

The generational players are completely different. What do people talk about when they talk about Dionne, Iginla, or Sundin? They talk about how they didn't win a cup. These are all first ballot hall of fame players, and yet the lack of cups hangs around their head. Hell, look at how Ovi was talked about until he finally won. We are talking about the greatest goal scorer in HISTORY, and the biggest talking point was the fact he hadn't won a cup. If McDavid cares about his legacy, he will sign a very friendly deal for his next contract. The fact that his family line is set for money for generations already, even if he never makes another single dollar, should play heavily into his thinking.

Seriously, stop and think about this. Even if he signed a CRAZY team friendly deal at like $2M/season x 8 years, his career earnings would still be around ~$225M by the time he retires. Even with 50% tax, that is ~$112M USD, or about $150M CAD after tax. That is already generational wealth.

Honestly, if I was in his shoes I would sign a 2-3 year deal at league minimum to try and have a 2-3 year window where my team had a really good chance of winning the cup. He would be 30-31 when that contract ended, and he could sign another large multi-year deal afterwards, and still end up making ~$250-275M in career earnings. I'm not kidding either, money doesn't matter at the end of the day, once you have that kind of wealth already. What you do in life is what matters, your legacy is what matters. Again, I am in my late 40s though, and am old enough to have started thinking about what really matters in life and what I want to be proud of when the end comes. I don't expect somebody in his late 20s to understand this line of thinking nearly as much.
The PA would never allow that happen. I go back to the deals that weight used to take to remain here. He three consecutive deals at way below market value. Finally the PA stepped in and told him he had to take at least market value on his next deal because he was screwing it up for other FAs.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I get the similarities between nurse and PLD but there are also so many differences.

PLD played on the Kings for a year, the team had known locker room issues and they got obliterated in the 1st round.

Nurse has been with the Oilers his entire career, plays with all his friends on a team that has one of the tightest locker rooms in the league. A tight group that was just 1 win away from lifting the Stanley cup.

not really comparable.
The only people perpetuating this extremely tight locker room Nurse is inseparable and everyone is going to demand he stays etc is fantasy by the way.

Again there is simply no precedent for such a situation. If he is hampering the club badly, the group is going to try and make the most of it while he is here (defending him ad nauseum to the media when questioned because he’s playing so badly — this is a fallacy because the only reason they’re having to defend him adamantly in the first place is because of HOW BAD HE IS!) however I do not believe the group would be upset at all if Nurse took the L and asked for a change or scenery. In fact I think they would be ecstatic seeing how immensely the team they’re trying to win a Cup with was improved with all that cap space.

The amount of fantasy and fake storylines some of you come up with in here is bewildering.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The “skilled depth” were the worst players on the team.

Give me guys like Janmark and Brown that want to battle for every inch.
Like who? Perry couldn't really skate so that made it tough, Skinner can do that, but like who? I don't see it. Jeff Skinner isn't a flawless player, but he absolutely wouldn't make the team worse.

He was simply outstanding on this run.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Skinner has zero playoffs experience. Why would we want that?
Because you don't need him for his playoff experience, the same way you don't need him to be a game breaker or play driver. You need him as extra depth to improve the overall team.

The experience in with all the guys that are the difference makers.

On a lousy team without the depth this team has, Skinner had 24 goals and 46 pts last year. That's brutal for $9M, but it's certainly improves the depth here. Hell he had 35 goals and 82 points the year before. He can still contribute, but I also complete understand the buyout.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Because you don't need him for his playoff experience, the same way you don't need him to be a game breaker or play driver. You need him as extra depth to improve the overall team.

The experience in with all the guys that are the difference makers.

On a lousy team without the depth this team has, Skinner had 24 goals and 46 pts last year. That's brutal for $9M, but it's certainly improves the depth here.
Unless he gets bought out and signs with the Oilers at league minimum. Otherwise he's just a liablity. He will play in the season but sit out in the playoffs cause the coach will know he can't able it

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Unless he gets bought out and signs with the Oilers at league minimum. Otherwise he's just a liablity. He will play in the season but sit out in the playoffs cause the coach will know he can't able it
You guys are insane, truly. I don't know what you imagine these players to be, but they seem to resemble nothing like the actual player.

I mean I guess I hope you're right? I would pay him $2+M to score 20+ goals and get 40+ points, without issues.

Jay Harris

Feb 24, 2020
Tanner Jeannot may be available ... Could we get him as a Foegle replacement?
To me, he is the kind of depth guy we were missing in the playoffs ... He is very tough and would be handy to deal with Zadorov, Soucy, Bennet types.
His cap hit is $2.665 million so I don't know how that compares to his current value or how we manage that but I like players like him when things get nasty ...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Tanner Jeannot may be available ... Could we get him as a Foegle replacement?
To me, he is the kind of depth guy we were missing in the playoffs ... He is very tough and would be handy to deal with Zadorov, Soucy, Bennet types.
His cap hit is $2.665 million so I don't know how that compares to his current value or how we manage that but I like players like him when things get nasty ...
He would be interesting, I like the player. I suspect the ask from the Bolts would not be worth what he provides plus a pending UFA.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The only people perpetuating this extremely tight locker room Nurse is inseparable and everyone is going to demand he stays etc is fantasy by the way.

Again there is simply no precedent for such a situation. If he is hampering the club badly, the group is going to try and make the most of it while he is here (defending him ad nauseum to the media when questioned because he’s playing so badly — this is a fallacy because the only reason they’re having to defend him adamantly in the first place is because of HOW BAD HE IS!) however I do not believe the group would be upset at all if Nurse took the L and asked for a change or scenery. In fact I think they would be ecstatic seeing how immensely the team they’re trying to win a Cup with was improved with all that cap space.

The amount of fantasy and fake storylines some of you come up with in here is bewildering.
What are you even talking about? It’s Nurse that waives his NMC… and him alone. I didn’t say his teammates would demand he stays… do you not know how a NMC works?

Please tell me the fantasy story line here?

Nurse played his whole career here? His friends are here? The Oilers were 1 win away from a cup? The locker room is very close?

Reactions: Faelko

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
3rd pair guys usually are swap in swap out guys just like bottom 6 forwards. They come and go as the team makeup needs it. Vinny was good throughout the regular season and fine in 2 playoff rounds until Broberg brought something we needed more. I also think he was dealing with injury and that brought his game down.

It’ll depend on the overall make up of the club and how much money is left. But I bet there’s a lot of teams that would take Vinny on the 3rd pair.
Is there any documented proof of this. Sorry, I just find it funny that some people always bring out the "he was probably hurt" card when a guy doesn't play well, or is bumped down by someone else (Broberg).

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

You know that Darnell is Connor’s co best man right? Connor Leon and Darnell are all crazy close.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is there any documented proof of this. Sorry, I just find it funny that some people always bring out the "he was probably hurt" card when a guy doesn't play well, or is bumped down by someone else (Broberg).
Pretty sure it was mentioned after the Nucks series and as he continued to play he was dealing with something. But I haven’t looked at much oilers post mortem content yet, to see if anything’s been confirmed.

I do agree that injuries are over-used ti excuse play. But in this case i do think Vinny was playing hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad